Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neb87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,625
Message 1 of 11

M83 - can't extend desktop to 2nd monitor using DP cable

Dear All,

Recently i'm facing issue with connecting desktop to double monitor. My unit is Lenovo M83, 1 unit using vga and the other using displayport cable.

1. i've  enable the multiple monitor setting on BIOS as per sugest from the other post.

2. If i check on screen setting ( on display list ) it's detected the second monitor 

3. The primary display detect on display no. 2 which is connected to VGA port, 

4. Display no. 1 show blank and can't set to primary display

5. I've trying to set extend display , the setting alway back to only show display no. 2 

6. I also have change the cable but still facing the same issue. 

Any idea which setting i need to check again? 

thank you in advance

~ neb ~

Mod:  edited title for clarity

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,604
Message 2 of 11

Re: can't extend desktop monitor to second monitor using displayport cable - Lenovo M83

What OS are you using?   Can you tell me the BIOS version and date (run 'system information' bios info 1/2 way down first page)?    The monitor, has a DisplayPort interface?  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
neb87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,587
Message 3 of 11

Re: can't extend desktop monitor to second monitor using displayport cable - Lenovo M83

Hi Mate,
i'm using Win7 32bit, my BIOS version is FBKTB9AUS, 11/13/2015. No, only vga . my cable actually displayport to vga cable.
please advise?
thank you

~neb~
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,582
Message 4 of 11

OK, so first thing, update the BIOS.   I'm not seeing anything in the update that affects the video, but there are security fixes, you want those.   Go to the Lenovo support page for your system, select Win 7 and BIOS, best to use the CD ISO.  

Second, give me the info on the DP to VGA cable.    Does your monitor have no other interface?  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Highlighted
neb87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,576
Message 5 of 11

no mate, single VGA input, but i also have another monitor that have double input VGA and DVI. any idea?

Actually i have no idea at all about the cable, because it didn't have brand name even in the case, there's only "D" on the cable. but i got the cable from the lenovo principal here.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,574
Message 6 of 11

even more confused.   Can you explain in detail how the monitors are cabled, I assume off the VGA port??

neb87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,565
Message 7 of 11

yes mate, so from display port on PC connected to monitor using DP-VGA to VGA port on my monitor..
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,561
Message 8 of 11

That's the second monitor?   the first is off the native VGA port? 

neb87
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,555
Message 9 of 11

yes mate, correct. any idea?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,539
Message 10 of 11

I'd say the DP to VGA adapter.   It's not as easy as people think, because it's going from digital to analog.   Are you sure that there aren't other inputs to the monitors other than VGA that can be used??

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors