US

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 2

M83Tiny repairing Windows 10 from USB not working

2020-07-28, 19:49 PM

M83Tiny (10E9)

Computer was working fine, then one day failed to boot.

Might have been shut off abruptly, not sure.

Updated BIOS to the latest version and BIOS works OK.

On startup, computer shows a blue screen and "unmountable boot volume" message.

This makes me think that there is a problem with the SSD.  Maybe the master boot record is messed up, for example.

I hooked up the SSD to another computer via a SATA to USB cable and looked at it with Disk Management.

Disk Management says the SSD is "healthy", but I'm not convinced and don't completely understand what one can do with Disk Management anyway...

Put SSD back in M83Tiny.

I thought I would attempt to fix the SSD by booting from Microsoft installation media on a USB stick and using automatic repair or maybe bcdboot.

Created USB stick containing Microsoft installation media.

BIOS recognizes USB stick.

BIOS set to boot from USB stick.

When booting from the USB stick, computer starts and shows Lenovo splash screen, then the blue four-pane Windows symbol and the spinning dots for a few seconds, then screen goes blank and nothing happens.

After initial activity indicated by its internal LED, USB stick shows no activity.

Is there a trick to making a USB stick that will boot properly?  FAT32 vs NTFS doesn't seem to make a difference.

Alternatively, is there something I can do to the SSD when it is attached to another computer via a SATA to USB connection?

I know I might be able to reformat the SSD and start from scratch, but I would like to avoid that if I can.

Thanks for useful suggestions.

Options

72 Posts

05-22-2017

CN

85 Signins

652 Page Views

• Views: 652
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:M83Tiny repairing Windows 10 from USB not working

2020-08-03, 15:15 PM
Suggest to try the following methods: 1. Use one bootable U winPE disk, use the coomand: chkdsk c: /r to recover windows. 2. May boot disk MBR failed, need use some tool (E.g PartitionGuru,MBRtool)to recover MBR.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete