Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gilbertshort
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 239
Message 1 of 2

M900 - DOA? [SOLVED]

The problem was a new  M900 SFF Desktop that appeared to be Dead On Arrival, as it produced no image after plugging a monitor into the VGA port.

The cause was a  M900 500Gb i7  that arrived with a Nvidia  graphics card with no VGA socket, though there was the usual VGA port on the mother board.

The easiest solution was to buy a Startech DisplayPort/VGA Active adapter (there are others)  and plug that into the Nvidia card so as to bring the VGA screen to life. There is also a Lenovo cable 57Y4393, perhaps that should be offered as an option on purchase of the M900.

This solution worked with a Belkin KVM switch, after briefly connecting the Nvidia card directly to the VGA monitor to pick up the settings.
A more expensive solution was to buy a monitor with a display port socket and cable, though that wouldn't  work with a Belkin  KVM Switch.
One could also switch the settings in the BIOS to activate the VGA port on the motherboard, but that would require a DisplayPort monitor at the start .

I hasten to add these solutions have already been referred to in this forum, and by Lenovo support,  for which many thanks;  I hope this different indexing helps others who see this as a DOA problem or are struggling with a KVM.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 179
Message 2 of 2

Re: M900 - DOA? [SOLVED]

Thanks!   As you wrote, the BIOS can be changed to enable the internal graphics to be active at the same time as the Nvidia graphics card, thereby turning on the built-in VGA port (the ports on the graphics card will provide better graphics performance.)

Enabling multiple monitor support - ThinkCentres Edge 71 - M93p, M700, M800, M900

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors