07-15-2016

US

7 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 1 of 8

M900 Downgrade From Windows 10 to Windows 7

2016-07-15, 9:46 AM

I tried to downgrade my windows 10 Pre installed (Without Backup of windows 7) so i tried to installed windows 7 freshly

Intially i face a problem with USB not detected then i change BIOS Setting in Auto - Legacy First and one more enable for use USB port

then i check secure boot, it was diable

then i check usb port for virutal environment - i make it enable(without enable we cannot use keyboard and mouse in windows 7 setup)

now i got struck with error

"CD/DVD drive device driver is missing"

use.. still error coming.. i tried to use many drivers also, no use.. 

If anyone have windows7 updated disc for M900 please provide me a link (PRO & ENTERPRISE i have the KEY)

can any one help me to downgrade to windows 7??

Solved! See the solution
Options

2508 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10982 Signins

59081 Page Views

• Views: 59081
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: M900 Downgrade From Windows 10 to Windows 7

2016-07-15, 17:20 PM

This subject has been talked about on two other threads:

(1) Can't downgrade Win10 to Win7 on M700

(2) M900 Win7 install - no storage drivers

The main issue is that there's no built-in USB support for mouse/keyboard in the retail Win7 installation media for the Skylake hardware, where USB is handled by the Embedded Controller.  Special drivers are required (included in Win10, but not present in original standard Win7 install media).

The solution is to use one of a variety of solutions to recreate new Win7 install media (e.g. to bootable USB), with the missing USB/EC drivers "slipstreamed" in so that it is available at install time.  You obviously need mouse/keyboard support in order to perform an install.

Furthermore, if your machine has NVMe hardware (e.g. Samsung 950 Pro) which was also not supported by Win7, you also need to "slipstream" the Samsung NVMe Controller Driver into the Win7 install media so that you can specify that hardware as the target for the Win7 install.

The essence of the discussions on those two other threads was to make use of a utility program developed by Gigabyte, which "merges" in your existing Win7 retail install media with the additional new drivers needed for USB/EC (and possibly NVMe as well), to produce a new bootable USB from which you can then do your "bare bones" Win7 install.  The Gigabyte utility is discussed on this Gigabyte tech support site article on the whole problem of installing Win7 on this new hardware, and the solution using their newly devloped utility. The Gigabyte utility is downloaded from the "Gigabyte download support site" specifying download type = UTILITY, referred to on that page as the "Windows USB Installation Tool to Support Intel 100 series motherboards". 

Note that you're still going to have to install all of the remaining drivers for the new hardware in your M900 (presumably you've already downloaded these from the Lenovo site to some location where you can then run these installers after getting your "bare bones" Win7 install completed).

Hope this gets you past your current obstacles.

Options

6 Posts

07-15-2016

US

7 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2016-07-16, 7:39 AM

As per your post i was trying for (2)  M900 Win7 install - no storage drivers

For M900 TINY pc Which one should be download from GIGABYTE site to install windows 7??

First link about GIGABYTE(utility program developed by Gigabyte,) is not working..  can you please guide me..

Options

2508 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10982 Signins

59081 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2016-07-16, 22:33 PM

oops... sorry, I do seem to have messed up the URL I inserted in the earlier post for the Gigabyte utility.  I've now corrected it and it works, I verified, to initiate the download of the utility ZIP fle same as you'd get from the Gigabyte site itself.  Here it is again, for convenience.  Sorry for the earlier mistake and inconvenience.

As I stated, this is the actual download ZIP file for their utility program, obtained from their UTILITY web page by scrolling down to the "Windows USB Installation Tool" item on that page:

You insert your existing Win7 installation DVD in the optical tray of an existing machine, expand the ZIP file and then navigate down the expanded folder structure to run the WindowsImageTool.exe you find there.

You also insert a blank USB drive (say 8GB) in a USB port.  This will be the target, and will be created as a new bootable USB drive (containing the sum of your original retail Win7 installation DVD plus the newly required USB/EC drivers required for the Skylake hardware in your M900) from which you can then install Win7 on your M900 tiny machine.

That will launch the utility, and you set the SOURCE to the location of the Win7 installation DVD in your optical drive.  You point to the DESTINATION as your USB drive.

The USB/EC drivers (provided with the Gigabyte utility in one of the expanded folders from the ZIP file) will be pre-checked to be included.  If you were installing Win7 say on a P50/P70 laptop that had Samsung NVMe PCIe drives in it that you wanted to use as the target for your Win7 install, you'd also check the NVMe driver box, to get them added as well to the output bootable USB Win7 install image (since original retail Win7 installer knew nothing about NVMe hardware).  It's actually possible to also include your own additional "driver packages" for additional "unknown hardware" (e.g. for Intel network adapter), by simply placing your driver package in the same folder structure provided with the Gigabyte ZIP file expansion.

That's it.  You push the START button and it will copy your DVD to the output bootable USB drive it constructs, "slipstreaming" in the additional USB/EC drivers so that you will have USB mouse/keyboard support when you use the bootable USB drive on your M900.

As I mentioned, this gets you to a "bare-bones" Win7 state, which is "operational" but minimally.  You will still need to have previously downloaded all of the additional Lenovo Win7 drivers/utilities and software from the M900 support web site, because you will be manually installing all of them yourself into the Win7 "bare-bones" system you just created to complete the fleshing out of your new Win7 system to support all of the hardware present in your M900 machine.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

07-15-2016

US

7 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2016-07-17, 12:50 PM

Thank you very much, your suggesstion is working..

Moderator comment: Link to a site that causes a security warning has been removed for the commmunity's protection.

Options

6 Posts

07-15-2016

US

7 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

LENOVO M900tiny Downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7 without Changing Restore / Recovery Drive

2016-08-07, 12:39 PM

I Want to downgrade my Lenovo Tiny M900 Pc from windows 10 to windows 7 but i dont want install windows 7 freshly because it will make you to loss all your recovery disk from lenovo..

Also FYI, LENOVO M900 coming with default installation of windows 10, so there is no option to downgrade to windows 7...

Kindly guide me how to do it without removing windows "Lenovo_recovery" Drive from machine or Guide me to install windows 7 on this machine with default lenovo recovery drive...

Moderator note: post moved from incorrect forum and added to existing thread.

Options

2508 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10982 Signins

59081 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

Re: LENOVO M900tiny Downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7 without Changing Restore / Recovery Drive

2016-08-07, 17:37 PM

I don't know how you're going to proceed installing Win7 onto this machine, unless you have a proper retail Win7 install media.  And of course this M900tiny is still a Skylake machine, so everything that's been talked about on this thread pertaining to your M900 and wanting to install Win7, well the same is still true now.

I have never used Lenovo's "recovery partition", or any of the realted tools and techniques.  I simply use Macrium Reflect Free to make "system image" backups of whatever partition(s) I want to an external USB 3.0 backup drive.  That becomes my "recovery" (using Macrim Reflect to do a "restore" from any selected "system image" backup present on the external backup drive.

If I wanted to restore to "Lenovo factory", I would restore the "original factory-level" system image backup I took shortly after cracking open the Lenovo carton and initially getting the machine running.  If I am one year into my normal "production" environment using the machine, and I have a "disaster" (or perhaps want to upgrade my the size of the hard drive or migrate HDD to SSD, etc.) I would select my most recent "system image" backup and restore it.

Using 3rd-party tools like Macrium Reflect for regular ongoing "system image" backups allows you to do anything you want, be it for disaster recovery, hardware upgrades, or even "restore to factory"... without involving the Lenovo-provided "recovery partition" officially.

But of course any from-scratch install of Win10 or Win10 does require some type of install media.

Don't know what else to say regarding your latest request that hasn't already been conveyed earlier in this thread.

Options

6 Posts

07-15-2016

US

7 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

Re: LENOVO M900tiny Downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7 without Changing Restore / Recovery Drive

2016-08-16, 7:46 AM

Thanks for your suggestion..

One more things wanna clarify, how much data it will take to backup  and it will comes with iso same like "Hiren" or any boot disk...?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete