Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haly-tom
Paper Tape
Views: 820
Message 1 of 3

M900 Mini-tower M.2 Slot

I am a little confussed regarding the M.2 slot on the M900 Mini. The webpage and manual don't really help to clear anything up - they seem to imply that an adapter is required to turn it into a full PCIe slot but doesn't mention anything else.

I rang tech support and they confirmed I could fit an M.2 SSD without any kind of adapter. I, unfortunately, did not do any further research and went out and bought a Samsung 960 evo.

I go to plug it in and the slot is completely different. I have google and there appear to be 3 different slots, B, M and B&M. None of these match what is on the motherboard.

What is the slot on the motherboard? Presumably it needs an adapter to connect anything, whether this is full PCIe or M.2 connector? I can't find anything on Lenovos site to purchase any type of adapter. Can anyone help?

It is a M900 Mini-tower 10FD.

Mod:  clarified the form factor, 10FD is a mini-tower

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 763
Message 2 of 3

Re: M900 Mini-tower M.2 Slot

From this thread, which may help with getting it operational:  M900 SFF & Tower: how to boot from M.2 SSD (PCIe, NVMe)

@jkstowers wrote:

The NVMe drives don't fit in the m.2 slot.  You have to use a PCIe adapter. 

True for SFF and mini-Tower models.   Tinys have both a M.2 slot for a SSD drive and for a wireless card.  

All of the Tinys have a 22 x 80 M.2 slot (M900 Tiny has PCIe x4,  M600 and M700 Tiny with SATA -- Chipset Q170 vs. B150) and a type M keyed connector for installing 2280 drives with a type M or B+M key. For installing a M.2 drive in a SFF or Tower system, a M.2 SSD adapter card (Lenovo 4XH0L08579 or similar) is required.

The M.2 slot on the motherboard of a SFF & Tower is for a wireless adapter. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
haly-tom
Paper Tape
Views: 735
Message 3 of 3

Re: M900 Mini-tower M.2 Slot

Thank you BiggAl for clearing that up.
I'm not best pleased as I spoke with the online chat and they said they couldn't get access to the details for the configuration of the machine so when I rang tech support I gave them the serial number. With this I expected them to be able to give me a correct answer but I guess not....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors