cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkstowers
What's DOS?
Views: 11,945
Message 1 of 24

M900 SFF & Tower: how to boot from M.2 SSD (PCIe, NVMe)

I am trying to setup a Samsung vPro 950 m.2 SSD in a new ThinkCentre M900. The drive is fully installed and operational. It is installed to a PCIe daughtercard and it is achieving its full read/write speed. Windows 10 is installed to this drive.

Unfortunately this drive is not visible in the Bios boot order.  The boot process is being handled by the Windows Boot Manager that still resides on the original drive. The Bios is fully updated, FWKT34A (1/12/16).

Should I be able to boot to this drive?  What do I need to do to enable this?

Anyone have a suggestion?

Mod:   edited title for clarity

Hentschke_Bau
Punch Card
Views: 11,921
Message 2 of 24

Re: Boot from NVMe

The M900 is booting fine from Samsung 950 Pro here, I just removed the SATA SSDs (or HDDs) before installing Windows 10 Enterprise on the 950 Pro drives  (they are connected with a PCIe x4 Riser card)  as this crappy mainboard only has a M.2 2230 slot...

Mod:  added HDD to text above

rob_it
What's DOS?
Views: 11,859
Message 3 of 24

Hi guys,

I am looking to get a M900 but am keen to use NVMe drives with it. How many can it support? 

If only one how many other drives has it got space for and do these work at the same time?

Many thanks

Rob

Aio
What's DOS?
Views: 11,713
Message 4 of 24

I am having the same problem of not being able to boot from the Samsung 950 Pro.  Did you ever get this to work & are there any specifice BIOS changes that need to be made?  I am on the latest firmware & all Windows 10 updates are installed.

M900
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,665
Message 5 of 24

Trying to recall from memory...

Although I'm running a Samsung NVMe 950 Pro 512GB SSD in "M" M.2 slot and booting from it, I am running it in an M900 Tiny with firmware FWKT43A and even with previous versions FWKT41A and 39A. I think the machine came with 31A?? and that DID NOT even find the NVMe drive.

So...

I set UEFI to boot from USB stick containing Windows 10 x64 Pro as a UEFI device. It found the NVMe and installed. I then entered UEFI and set the NVMe as boot device, set secure boot.

Oh...there is an option in the UEFI EXIT screen of all places that I think did the trick. Set Optimized OS defaults to Enabled and then click on Load optimized defaults. Once done, I rebooted and Windows 10 x64 Pro loaded right up.

jkstowers
What's DOS?
Views: 11,641
Message 6 of 24

The NVMe drives don't fit in the m.2 slot.  You have to use a PCIe adapter.  Consequently you are limited by the number of PCI slots, but I'm not sure if all of them are full speed.  Thats beyond my knowledge.

jkstowers
What's DOS?
Views: 11,638
Message 7 of 24

The solution was to remove the SATA hardrive (just disconnect) and then reinstall Windows from USB.  Once that was done I was able to plug the SATA back in and format it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,429
Message 8 of 24

@jkstowers wrote:

The NVMe drives don't fit in the m.2 slot.  You have to use a PCIe adapter. 

True for SFF and mini-Tower models.   Tinys have both a M.2 slot for a SSD drive and for a wireless card.  

All of the Tinys have a 22 x 80 M.2 slot (M900 Tiny has PCIe x4,  M600 and M700 Tiny with SATA -- Chipset Q170 vs. B150) and a type M keyed connector for installing 2280 drives with a type M or B+M key. For installing a M.2 drive in a SFF or Tower system, a M.2 SSD adapter card (Lenovo 4XH0L08579 or similar) for PCIe x4 is required.  The M.2 slot on the motherboard of a SFF & Tower is for a wireless adapter.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
supalg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,124
Message 9 of 24

BOOT M2 SSD \ ThinkCentreM900

Hi, I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre 900 (PID: 10FM000FIX) and I would boot it on a M2-SSD.
The M2 device (Samsung 950 Pro M2 NVM Express) is properly recognized by BIOS, but the system doesn't boot by M2.
I tried several options in BIOS (last update v 1.54) but it seems that BIOS doesn' allow boot by M2 device.

Any idea (kindly)? or someone has met this problem ? Any solutions?

ThinkCentre 900 allows boot by M2 SSD?

Thanks

SA

supalg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,952
Message 10 of 24

Re: BOOT M2 SSD \ ThinkCentreM900

Thanks for reply.

I'm Trying the solutions proposed but the system doesn't boot by M2. if I try to install win10 from dvd there, appears error attached.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors