Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnnie390
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,993
Message 1 of 5

M900 Tiny BIOS

Hello all,

up to quite recently, I had been running Debian Stretch (4.4 kernel) on an Intel NUC NUC5I7RYH using two SSDs (Samsung 850 Pro and a Samsung 951) in RAID 0 array with no problems.

Having used IBM/Lenovo equipment for decades, I decided to purchase a Lenovo M900 Tiny as I was impressed with the specifications and the physical size of the thing.

One dark night, I decided to transfer my RAID 0 array from the NUC (see above) to the M900 (physically remove the SSDs from the NUC and insert them into the M900). Lo and behold, my Debian came up on the M900 with no problems, DMESG reported nothing untowards etc. This setup had been running for a week or so until with hindsight, I unwisely decided to upgrade the M900 BIOS. The original factory BIOS had a release date of December 2015 as far as I can remember. The new BIOS is FWKT38A and was released on 10.02.2016. Needless to say, after this upgrade, that was the end of my RAID 0 and my Debian. I have since reinstalled Debian on the M900, using the two abovementioned SSDs in a RAID 0 array - everything completes as it should, at this stage I would expect to have a bootable system - but no. On boot, no diagnostics, error messages, just a "black screen".
I have run all of the Lenovo diagnostics on all hardware components (including the SSDs) with no error messages returned.
If I install Debian using just one of the SSDs (Samsung 850 Pro), things work, i.e. the system comes up (boots).

I am at a loss here as to why things are not working as they should...

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Aubrey   

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,953
Message 2 of 5

Re: M900 Tiny BIOS

Hi,

There's an earlier version of the BIOS at the bottom of the BIOS download page - at least on the US site.  Looks like fwjy34usa.  Don't know if your site (if different) offers the same thing but have a look.

I can't say that a BIOS roll-back is a fix (no clue...) but perphaps it's an option worth exploring.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Johnnie390
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,942
Message 3 of 5

I have already tried the earlier (fwjy34usa) with the same results i.e. it does not work.

Aubrey

Johnnie390
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,919
Message 4 of 5

Furthermore (See my original post), on applying power (wall socket) the machine is starting up without me pressing the power button, then shutting down. Surely only one POST is needed...?

I would appreciate a link to an URL for the orginal factory BIOS for this machine. I am not going to hold my breath though.... I suspect lenovo have a QA/regression testing problem.

Disappointing.

M900
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,612
Message 5 of 5

There is an option in UEFI to bootup when power is reapplied, did you check that?

I have copy of UEFI of FWKT 39A, 41A and 43A. Let me know.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors