Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
invsbleblk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,087
Message 1 of 6

M900 Tiny Display port problem

I have a M900 Tiny with three display ports. This unit will only display to my acer display on the top port. The other two it wont.

I took it to work and hooked it up to a 4k monitor and each port worked fine.

I tried another long DP cable at home and it didnt work.

Is it the cable length of the Display port cable?

If so is there a "for sure" workable 15 to 20 foot display port cable out there I can buy.

Confused and tired.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,025
Message 2 of 6

Re: M900 Tiny Display port problem

The DP spec is 3m max for passive cables (longer distances possible depending on resolution and bit depth, and quality of cable.)  Active cables are technically required for further. 

DisplayPort 1.2 adds active cable support: brings longer cords

I've found the products certified by DisplayPort.org to perform as advertised:   displayport.org-products-database   (check the cables box and click search.)

invsbleblk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,010
Message 3 of 6

Trying to find a "real" active display port cable is not a lot of fun. I did order one and it will be here tomorrow. I will test it out and see if it really is "active". More on that tomorrow.Great use of quotation marks here. I did also find some display port in-line repeaters but they range from 80 to 100 dollars.

Thanks for the reply!

Inv.

invsbleblk
Paper Tape
Views: 974
Message 4 of 6

Well an update. I bought an "active" cable and it was intermittant at best. I asked tech support if my M900 with integrated 530 video could push 4k and he said no. Now I look on line and it says Intel 530 can push 4k. More tests to follow.

invsbleblk
Paper Tape
Views: 944
Message 5 of 6

Latest tests... Connected up to a Dell 28 inch 4k monitor with a long dp cable. Works fine. no drops no anything. Running at 29hz only though.

I will be calling Lenovo support on Monday to see if the bios is holding it back from 60hz.

Fun day.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 939
Message 6 of 6

What brand, model and length is the active cable?  

(for our information, can you gave us the same for the passive cable you tried originally, Ty.   Do any of them have the DP logo molded into the connector?   ) 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors