cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruce_Co
Paper Tape
Views: 1,035
Message 71 of 91

Re: M900 Tiny: UEFI Bug - M.2 NVMe SSD & 8260 WiFi - ASPM disabled - Much hotter temperatures (t

The service of lenovo is terrible. I wrote an service requirement to their customer service about the nvme overheat problem before I figured out how to cool it down. A few days later they replied me an automatic email saying your request has been handled and the case now is closed. **bleep**, they at least should say something before they make the decision to close my case. If they cannot solve the problem, at least, saying some greeting words. And they do not! Treating customer with a cold face. Maybe you pay the money and they are done with it, any upcoming problem with the product is your own concern, not theirs. For those who are looking for well custom service product you can walk away lenovo and find other brands. After this m900 tiny dies I will not return to lenovo again.  

Jalen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,745
Message 72 of 91

Re: M900 Tiny: UEFI Bug - M.2 NVMe SSD & 8260 WiFi - ASPM disabled - Much hotter temperatures (t

I'm disappointed in Lenovo. It's almost a year since the first time to report M900 UEFI problem.

The WHEA-17 problem is still happening when wake up from sleep.

The NVMe SSD is still hot that ASPM problem not fixed.

Although this computer is in warranty, it looks like no warranty. The M910 is launched. There are none of these problems are reported, so are we bug tester?

wingflywx
Paper Tape
Views: 1,652
Message 73 of 91

Lenovo released a new firmware yesterday.  In the change notes, I see "Add PCIE Root Port ASPM Support".  Does this mean we can get ASPM work somehow?  Can someone help?

calc
Token Ring
Views: 1,616
Message 74 of 91

That's what it sounds like, I will try it out tonight to see what it does. That would be nice, I was about to ask them for an updated version of the firmware they sent me due to the security fix in 79.

Red Hat - SSME
ThinkStation P320 - ThinkCentre m900 Tiny - ThinkPad P50 - ThinkPad Yoga 260
ThinkErEr
Punch Card
Views: 1,604
Message 75 of 91

Just for the record, here is a (not so) quick follow up to my earlier posts (2017-03-09, and 2017-04-28) to this thread.

Since my last post I have updated the BIOS to FWKT79A, and switched from the Microsoft to the Samsung NVMe Controller. I also started to look around for passive options that could help cooling down the NVMe.

Whilst researching for high capacity Thermal Pads, that I could base a home tinkered solution on, I stumbled on a company named Alphacool International Gmbh. To my big surprise they also market a Mini Cooler for M.2 SSDs (for just slightly more than the cost of their cheapest Thermal Pads - with a capacity of 11W/mK).

Since I could find it in a shop nearby (Inet.se) here in Stockholm/Sweden, I couldn't resist to at least try it out and see what it could bring to my M900 Tiny.

Actually, more than I had hoped for (considering it's just another piece of aluminum tucked in into an already packed casing, without any increase in air flow). And even more after reinserting the SATA SSD, that I had taken it out before, to gain 2-3 degrees.

Just applying the Alphacool HDX - M.2 SSD M01 - 80mm itself to the Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVMe made the temperature drop about two degrees (when in idle state, as described in my previous posts). But, after reinserting the Samsung 850 PRO it made the temperature dropp even more.

The Idle Temperature, with both disks mounted, lies now around 44-45 degrees Celsius. I also have the impression that the peak temperatures seem to have dropped considerably. Initially, when I was just surfing the web, the temperature used to reside between 56-60°C, watching in-page video clips etc could esily make it go up to between 64-67°C.

Snip-20170907-DiskTemperatures-20170901-0907-LenovoM900Tiny-i7-16GB-Samsung950Pro512GB-NVMe+850Pro512GB.PNGDisk temperatures of SSDs, Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M2 512GB and Samsung 850 PRO 512GB, when installing an Alphacool HDX-M.2 Mini Cooler to the NVMe disk, on th 1st of September - ThinkCentre M900 Tiny, i7, 16GB

The graph above shows that the system now ususally operates below 50°C, peaking once in a whil at 54°C, or even 57°C.

The peak you can see at 72°C, was from running CrystalDiskMark on the NVMe, after installing the Alphacool Mini Cooler, and without the SATA SSD installed (as you can tell from it's fixed horizontal temperature graph).

Running the test in the past, as can be seen in the graph attached to my first post, peaked at 76°C (now I remember what caused that peak). Althoug, back then I believe I had the SATA SSD installed aswell (althoug it was not shown in the graph). Still, seems like that peak drops by 4 degrees, or even more (when the SATA SSD is installed).

To me it seems like the SATA Disk Tray may act as an extension to the Alphacool Mini Cooler (after having been installed and system running for a while), and even as a "Turbo charged" extension when the SATA Disk is installed (by reducing the amount of available "notorious inefficient" cooling medium - called air - and thus forcing the system to get rid of it much sooner than it would otherwise - since the heated air now is reaching the fan-regulating temperature sensor earlier. And no, I haven't noticed any change to the system's "fan-silence". It's still quite).

Hope I managed to catch my experiences and thoughts, that I wanted to share with you.

Now I'm really exited about what the newly released firmware (FWKT7CA) has to bring to the table.

> CHANGES for FWKT7CA
>   - Add PCIE Root Port ASPM Support.
>   - Fix can't change Security Chip in WMI.

And here is a quick Recap of the current System setup:

System Model: 10FMCTO1WW
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700T CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz,
                             4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Version    10.0.15063 Build 15063 (i.e. Creators Update)

BIOS Version/Date: LENOVO FWKT79A, 2017-07-04

Samsung NVMe Controller (2.2.0.1703)

Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB (Firmware 2B0QBXX7),
            since 2017-09-01 equipped with an
            Alphacool HDX-M.2 SSD M01-80mm

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB (Firmware EXM02B6Q)

The Unit is placed vertically (Power Button down, ThinkCentre Lable up), in a book shelf with > 10 cm free space around it, in a room where the temperature is between 18-20°C.

(And Firefox is now running with ~150 open tabs. Yes, find more intresting pages to read than I manage to finish reading :-) )

ThinkCentre M900 Tiny, i7, 16GB, Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVMe 512GB
kyoto_art_life
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,583
Message 76 of 91

Hello,

I received the following from Japan Lenovo support about our problem with NVMes. I submitted my service request a couple weeks ago and sent them my HWMonitor data on the problematic m900 tiny and the out-of-the box one I use for my home theatre (that was running fine without a NVMe upgrade).

First of all, let us apologize for our late reply.
Thanks to you, we succeeded in convincing our tech team to release the BIOS with "PCIE Root Port ASPM Support."
You can check it in it's README.txt too.  In BIOS it is in Device > PCIE Express Configuration > ASPM Support.
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/DESKTOPS-AND-ALL-IN-ONES/THINKCENTRE-M-SERIES-DESKTOPS/T...
Hope this works with your M900.
One thing(though I am afraid to say but have to), please understand that we do not guarantee any correct operation for the 3rd party NVMe.
If you have any question or concern, please let us know.
Thank you.

So the new public UEFI/BIOS update seems to come from the Japan tech team at Lenovo. I've had so many problems with my computer over the past 6 moths, that I'm afraid to take this new BIOS on the shakedown cruise. Hopefully others will be more courageous and report on whether this fixes the problem

Best regards

Many Lenovo devices and Apple silver boxes, and now a kindle Oasis, and an ancient Everrun UMPC that still runs a projecto for mobile presentations.

Highlighted
calc
Token Ring
Views: 1,564
Message 77 of 91

I upgraded to 7C tonight, enabled ASPM in the firmware options , and it works as expected.

I'm glad they finally decided to fix this in the public firmware. I guess enough people complained that they decided to finally release it.

If the NVMe drive is still warmer than you would like there are aftermarket heatsinks/coolers as others have mentioned that can help further reduce the temperature. But ASPM itself appears to be working as intended now.

Red Hat - SSME
Jalen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,552
Message 78 of 91

Thanks for confirming this. Lenovo just fix one of M900 problem, but WHEA Logger 17 is still there.

I upgrade this version (7CA) and set ASPM to auto in UEFI. Unfortunately, the WHEA Logger 17 problem is still happening when wake up from sleep.

I upload the attachment which shows it happening.

OK....I think that Lenovo won't fix this problem forever, right?

calc
Token Ring
Views: 1,545
Message 79 of 91

I got those errors on my NVMe SSD in the past, but I think a SSD firmware update resolved them. I'm not getting them under Linux any more but I will have to boot Windows to see if they show up under it.

Red Hat - SSME
ThinkErEr
Punch Card
Views: 1,364
Message 80 of 91

@Jalen: I've installed that new firmware (FWKT7CA) and can confirm that WHEA-logger events populate the Event Log after resuming from sleep, when running Windows 10 Professional (10.0.15063 - I.e. Creators Edition).

Usually I don't "power down" to sleep mode since I use my Tiny as an always on server. Thus I cannot tell if this was re-introduced by that specific firmware, an earlier, or never was fixed for this scenario.

Went into sleep mode, just to see if I could be of some aid to you by confiming the issues you're seeing. After the first "resume from sleep" the events did not show up in the Event Log. Only after a second time. (In case it would matter, I should add that the first time I resumed from sleep was almost immediately - that is within about a minute - after entering sleep. The second time, first after about 40 min of sleep.)

So, YES, there still seems to be an issue with WHEA-logger events in the firmware when running Windows.

ThinkCentre M900 Tiny, i7, 16GB, Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVMe 512GB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors