Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honolulu788
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,678
Message 1 of 10

M900 Tiny fan noise after SSD upgrade

Hi, Happy New Year to all.

Please help resolve the fan noise or rather, fan going full speed even with 0% CPU usage after SSD upgrade.

My M900 was configured with i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM and 128 GB stock Samsung SSD. I remembered that when I first opened the box, I was quite impressed by its high quality materials and solid construction. I placed the Tiny in the All-in-one 24 in monitor. The whole combo worked as well as advertised.

Everything was going great until the SSD was upgraded to 1TB Crucial MX 300. (Acronis was used to migrate OS from Samsung to Crucial SSD). The new Curcial SSD booted up fine but shortly after logging into the Win 10, the fan started going full speed although the CPU usage was less than 20%. The fan slowed down after a while but whould pick up the speed intermittently. 

To resolve the problem, I installed the updated BIOS (FWKT63A) and partitioned the 1 TB SSD drive into two 500 GB drives. It worked well. The fan became quiet!

Not to leave good enough alone, I decided to intall a Samsung PCIe NVMe 500 GB (Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)) in the M.2 slot. What a mistake! The fan has been going full blast ever since, even after the Samaung NVMe drive was removed. To be sure, I even replaced the Crucial 1 TB drive with the stock Samsung 128 GB SSD that came with the computer. Still, the fan noise continued to be unrelenting. 

I then thought it could be the monitor and all-in-one connection issue. The Tiny was brought outside the monitor enclousre and connected to a VGA monitor and its own power supply. No change. Fan is still going at full speed as soon as Win 10 screen login screen appears.

Help!!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,672
Message 2 of 10

Re: M900 Tiny fan noise after SSD upgrade

I suggest a 'clear CMOS', otherwise known as a CMOS reset.   Refer to this thread:  M900x & Tiny: Recover from failed BIOS update (CMOS jumper)   Skip the connect CD step, leave it powered up for 5min with the jumper removed.    

Do it with the stock components, and ensure the fan is working normally.   Try the all mods again, if the fan runs at high again, try a clear CMOS with the mods in place, and see if it fixes it. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Honolulu788
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,655
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for the prompt reply. Will give it a try.
Honolulu788
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,642
Message 4 of 10

Hi, BiggAl:

Followed the instruction to clear CMOS.  Put back all the stock components and place CMOS jumper on 2-4. Turn on the Tiny and endure the 2 short beeping sounds for five minutes. 

Put the jumper back on 4-6 and turn on the machine. Less than one minute after logging into Win 10, the fans kicks up again. CPU usage is about 4% at the time when fan turns on. 

What should I try next?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,638
Message 5 of 10

Do you have a CD/DVD drive you could connect and do the full process? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Honolulu788
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,636
Message 6 of 10

Yes. Will get the BIOS iso on CD and try it again.

Honolulu788
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,623
Message 7 of 10

Got a DVD drive from an old Dell and connected it to the Tiny via USB port and to its own power source.

Per instruction, changed jumper to 2-4 and started the computer. New BIOS was flashed as described in the linked post.

Switched the jumper back to 4-6.

Started the computer, going through the POST. Error code 0162 - Failed integrity check.

Pressed F1 to bring up BIOS. Changed the boot sequence to SATA Samsung SSD first.

Computer booted up without a problem. I was able to login the Win 10 screen. Pretty excited for about 3 minutes. Then, the dreadful sound of fans started up again.

Any thoughts?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,612
Message 8 of 10

Is it under warranty?   Call it in for repair.   I see no reason why it shouldn't work, it's a very similar config to the system in this article:  Tweaks.com - Building The Ultimate Windows 10 Micro PC - M900 Tiny

Honolulu788
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,607
Message 9 of 10

Hi, BiggAl

That is exactly how I configured the Tiny M900 after reading that linked article. 

Just got the computer two weeks ago. it is still under warranty. Will contact repair tomorrow.

Thank you for your help.

Honolulu788
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,520
Message 10 of 10

Called the Customer Service. Told that fan needs to be replaced and given a case number. After not hearing from them for 2 days. Called again. Informed that part is not available. Told to ask for replacement. 

Less than 2 weeks after making phone calls, received a brand new M900 Tiny replacement yesterday. Place a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 500 GB as the C drive and and an old Samsung 840 EVO SSD 550 GB as D drive. 

So far, it has been VERY quiet. No fan noise. Amazingly short boot time (7-8 sec). 

I guess a fan does break even in a new system. 

Thanks to the moerator, BiggAl.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors