06-15-2015

US

12 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 1 of 7

M900 Tower, DP Not working after installing GTX1050 Ti + One other issue

2018-01-24, 16:19 PM

I just got a M900, and installed the 1050 Ti PCI graphics card.

In the bios there is supposed to be some settings for enabling Multiple displays, but on my PC, I only have one option for setting the Main Video Device. Does anyone lknow how to get the IGD DP's to work in tandem with a PCIe graphics card?

I have looked at this page: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht062228

but I do not see any other options other than "Select Active Video"

Also, need to upgrade the power supply from the 250W to a 400W, I read someplace about a cable for the 24 to 10 Pin adapter, but I dont want to do that, I want the 400 W powersupply, how and where can I look for it?

Options

19 Posts

06-15-2015

US

12 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: M900 Tower, DP Not working after installing GTX1050 Ti + One other issue

2018-01-24, 16:53 PM

Found the 400 W power supply

https://encompass.com/item/10693210/Lenovo/54Y8936/Ps_Power_Supplies_Internal

For ther 250W search for part # 54Y8934

The 250W PSU is for $60+, and with a converter cablle as someone suggested a 500 W PSU would cost $50-$80 plus the converter cable $15, the Lenovo pSU @ 400W is a better option at $115.

Options

2329 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10648 Signins

56856 Page Views

• Views: 56856
  • Message 3 of 7

2018-01-24, 17:45 PM

You are not supposed to be using IGD in the BIOS.  When you have installed a discrete graphics card upgrade in the PCIe x16 expansion slot as you've done, you are supposed to be using the graphics card to connect to your monitors.  This requires AUTO in the BIOS.

Once you set the BIOS to AUTO, you now have all three of the digital connectors on your GTX 1050ti that can be used to connect to multiple external monitors. I believe that card has DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort.  You can use any one or more of them to connect to one or more monitors.

If you have monitors with the matching connectors, then you can use a "straight" cable that has the same type of connectors at each end. So DVI->DVI, or HDMI->HDMI, or DP->DP.

But DisplayPort can actually connect to any of the three types, so if you want to start from the DP connector on the card you can just buy a proper "2-ended" cable, which has DisplayPort at one end and either DP, DVI or HDMI at the other end, to appropriately connect to any monitor with any of the three types of digital connectors at the other end of the cable.

IGD is wrong.  That only applies to a situation where you do NOT have a discrete graphics card installed.  In this case you're using the "integrated" built-in Intel HD Graphics which then utilizes the onboard video connectors.  But this is not your situation now that you've installed the GTX 1050ti card.

Options

19 Posts

06-15-2015

US

12 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2018-01-24, 18:19 PM

Appreciate your comments and solution.

I know I can do that too, but the reason why I dont want to use the 1050 for the 3 monitors is the low power of the PSU.

Gaming at or above 1080p resolution, it can put a TAX on the PSU/MB.

So I wanted to see if there is a way that I can use 2 monitors from the DP of the iGD, and hook up the 34" to the 1050 so it only powers the game monitor.

I have also noticed that after I installed the 1050, the Intel GPU completely disappeared from the Device manager, the HW discovery does not even see it as a device. If there is a way to bring that back then maybe I can get the setup I want.

So my friend, this is what I want to do:

Use the IGD x 2 DP ports for the outsode monitors

Use the PCie 1050 Ti for the Main monitor to be used for gaming.

In the Bios, the options that are shown in the screenshot of the link I provided are NOT even there, they were not there even when there was NO PCIe card installed, I even updated the bios, but still it was not there, so I want to see if my setup is bad or if I am missing something.

Options

2329 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10648 Signins

56856 Page Views

• Views: 56856
  • Message 5 of 7

2018-01-24, 19:03 PM

I don't have an M900, so I can't really play with anything myself.  So I can't look at the BIOS output, which you say doesn't include the "multiple monitors" option.

As far a why Device Manager doesn't show the Intel graphics, it won't do that when AUTO is set. This causes the BIOS to pick the graphics card for 100% use and completely disable the built-in Intel graphics, so it's as if the Intel graphics simply doesn't exist in the hardware.

In Thinkpad laptops which support "Optimus" mode, this is firmware-enabled capability to use both built-in Intel HD graphics for the laptop screen and nVidia graphics for external monitors, with the nVidia GPU also called upon to help with the laptop screen if unusually high graphics performance demands requires it.  In theory you can also "force" the use of nVidia graphics for specific programs.

But this is quite different from what this desktop implementation of IGD + multiple-monitors is supposed to do and that you're trying to make happen, which sounds like simply setting up complete independent "dual graphics" mode where the Intel HD Graphics and driver supports the two onboard DP connectors and the nVidia graphics card driver supports the three connectors on the card, completely independent of each other.

I see that the article says it should be possible, but if the BIOS doesn't offer the "multiple monitors" option clearly this is impossible.

I'd suggest calling Lenovo for actual support, to see how they explain the discrepancy between the multiple monitor support document and reality. To add insult to injury, the PSREF even shows that this is supposed to be possible (although maybe only with the Lenovo-offered GT 720 graphics card??), describing your objective exactly:

Also, I think you should certainly just try using your high-powered (relatively speaking) GTX 1050ti card for the three monitors.  It can't consume more than 75W, which is fully supported on that x16 slot with the stock PSU.  Also, the GTX 1050ti card has a 112GB/s bandwidth. I can't find the bandwidth of the Intel HD 530 but it's rated at TDP of 15W, so it must have only a fraction of the performance of the nVidia card, much less support two monitors.

I would suggest you give the nVidia card a try driving all three monitors, and see how it goes.

And I would also suggest you phone Lenovo, to get this sorted out for real.

Options

19 Posts

06-15-2015

US

12 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2018-01-24, 19:49 PM

Already Called Lenovo, was on the phone with them for more thwen 2 hrs...

These idiots are not worth the crap they do when they do the dodo...

Talked to the HW support first, he transfered me to the software support, she said this is 3rd party product support, and from there they said trhis is a MB issue so threw me back to the HW support....

I have 672 days of onsite 5x9x5 warranty, but I was told I have to buy software warranty if I need this resolved...

Then the 2nd HW guy said he wanted to remote to my machine, I asked him how he would do it in thre Bios mode...? he did not know, but he was adamant... finally he remoted to the machine in Windows 10 and jerked around display settings, and wanted to know what the program "Fenses" from Stardock did... I mean really... These guys are freaking idiots... I asked for 2/3 tier Tech support, but he did not want to budge, it was even difficult to get a case number out of him...All in al a bad experience...

Now coming back to this topic, I just want to see (even if they are greyed out) the settings for multiple display's. On Lenovo's site for the Descrete Video drivers, they do say the 1050 Ti is approved, so I am not going out of the norm here, but I am feeling that Lenovo is not a good company. They do not care for the consumer.

RAm has been another issue... but I will save that for another thread.

Options

4968 Posts

11-22-2011

US

5774 Signins

89608 Page Views

• Views: 89608
  • Message 7 of 7

2018-01-25, 22:55 PM

Additional comments;

What you circled in blue above is the list of graphic cards supported by the Driver.

Lenovo only offered 3 specific graphic cards with your machine per PSREF.

You choose to install a different card. I would expect Lenovo support to not be of much help with a non OEM graphic card.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save