06-12-2016

US

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Views: 172
  • Message 1 of 15

M900 - VGA port not working

2016-06-12, 16:54 PM

HELP!!    Cannot get my new M900 to recognize my older monitor...It has the blue plug and goes right into the back of the computer, however, the monitor shuts off or goes into sleep mode when I plug it in....Do I now need  a new monitor??

Mod:  edited title for clarity

Solved! See the solution
Options

3793 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7833 Signins

116683 Page Views

• Views: 116683
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: M900

2016-06-12, 17:30 PM

Can you give me the system model number ?    When you say older and blue connector, do you mean VGA ?   What's the history of this monitor and cable, has it been used recently ?   Do you have another system you can test both on ?   Thx,  Alan. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

8 Posts

06-12-2016

US

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2016-06-12, 18:50 PM

Yeah, it's a VGA cable...This monitor works great, just recently took it from my old desktop to use on my new one....However, it doesn't seem to respond to my new M900....It goes to sleep when hooked up....

Product ID : 10FDCTO1WW

ThinkCenter M900 - Tower

Options

3793 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7833 Signins

116683 Page Views

• Views: 116683
  • Message 4 of 15

2016-06-12, 19:54 PM

There's no configuration associated with the VGA port, it's always enabled from new and should work.   I suggest you call Lenovo tech support and open a trouble ticket.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10688 Signins

57181 Page Views

• Views: 57181
  • Message 5 of 15

2016-06-12, 23:31 PM

Do you have an external graphics card in your M900?  If so, that's where graphics output will be coming from, not from the VGA or DP connectors on the motherboard.

If so, and if your older monitor only has a VGA connector (and I sheepishly ask why you didn't invest $100 or so in a new modern "digital-enabled" flatscreen monitor to go along with your shiny new M900) and you still want to use it, and if your new graphics card only has digital connectors, then you'll need to use an adapter or 2-ended cable (i.e. digital at one end to connect to a digital port on the graphics card, and VGA at the other end) to go from some digital connector on the graphics card to the VGA connector on the monitor.

Options

8 Posts

06-12-2016

US

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2016-06-12, 23:42 PM

You are probably correct, I have NO IDEA what the graphics card has...The monitor is a flat screen, still works great, which is WHY I wanted to keep using it...Should I purchase a monitor with DVI cables??   I'm not real computer literate when it comes to these technical questions, basically, I just know how to use a computer!!    I was HOPING this would be "Plug and Play"....Thanks for your input...

Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10688 Signins

57181 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2016-06-13, 0:15 AM

Well, you just bought the M900, and the model is a "CTO" (customer to-order) form. That means you customized something.  Your order will show if you also ordered a Lenovo-installed graphics card upgrade.  Did you order such a thing from them on your M900?

The order page for the M900 shows either Intel graphics (default) or nVidia GT720 (either "high profile" for the M900 tower case, or "low profile" for the M900-SFF case) for an extra $60. Did you choose that option and pay the $60?

If not, then the VGA connector on the motherboard should be operational as well as the other available video connectors (there should be two DP connectors along with the one VGA connector).

If yes, and you bought the GT720, then onboard motherboard connectors are ALL NOT OPERATIONAL.  You now can only use the connectors on the graphics card itself, which would be seen down toward the bottom of the rear of the case in the expansion slot area.  I honestly don't know the OEM version of that card which Lenovo is offering, so I don't know what connectors are available on it.  But I'm reasonably sure there is either no VGA connector on it but only digital connectors, or perhaps there IS a VGA connector there along with perhaps one or two other digital connectors (say HDMI, or HDMI and DVI).

So, if you have that card, you almost certainly can't use a VGA->VGA cable anymore.  Or you can if the GT720 does have a VGA connector on it, and if so then THIS is the VGA connector you want to be using to go to your existing monitor and NOT the other VGA connector up top on the motherboard.

But, if you have a flat screen monitor right now, is it so old that it doesn't even have a DVI connector on it?  Only VGA?  If so, honestly, I would really strongly say it's time is done.  History.  It must be VERY VERY OLD, if it doesn't even have a DVI connector on it.

Please tell us the brand and model of your monitor, as that will end any confusion or ambiguity.

But if it does have a DVI connector on it along with a VGA connector, and you still want to use it, then keep the monitor and simply use its DVI connector now.  You'll be very happy.  And you can now just get the correct 2-ended cable to connect from one of the available digital connectors on the nVidia GT720 card to the DVI connector on your monitor.

Or, invest $100 or so in a brand new modern 22" flatscreen that will provide beautiful 1920x1080 resolution and will allow you to use any of several standard digital cables.  For example, this Viewsonic 22" VX2270SMH-LED monitor sells for $110 and is excellent quality and obviously great value.  Has HDMI and DVI connectors, which can be connected to from ANY POSSIBLE digital connector that would be on your GT720, just requiring the proper 2-ended cable.

Can you take a photo of the back of your M900 and post it here? We could then tell what you have, and what's available.  But again, if your current monitor only has a VGA option, then it's time to put it out to pasture.  Spend $110 or so and get a new modern monitor.  You'll thank me for the urging, believe me.

Options

8 Posts

06-12-2016

US

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2016-06-13, 0:27 AM

Unfortunately, I'm in a wheelchair and since the M900 has all the wires currently attached, I am unable to turn it around for a picture...It's in a computer cabinet...Sorry....Here is what the order said about the graphics card...

Graphic CardGT720 1GB D3 64b DP HP

Does that help you?    I DID order extra RAM....Along with a beefier i5....Wanted a computer that wouldn't be outdated quickly....My monitor is an LG Flatron L1720P.....Thanks for your time....

Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10688 Signins

57181 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2016-06-13, 0:56 AM

Ok.  Thanks for the new specifics.

Yes, apparently you DID order the optional nVidia GT720 graphics card for $60.  This was a good option, but it also means your VGA connector up on the top of the motherboard area is NOT OPERATIONAL.  Instead, if you look down near the bottom of the case (i.e. looking at the rear of the machine standing up vertically) you will see a card in the top of the "expansion slots" which has its own video connectors.  That is where you may find another VGA connector, and if so then THAT is the one you should be using to go to your current monitor... assuming you want to continue using that monitor with a VGA connection.

But in fact, the LG Flatron L1720P also does have a DVI connector as well as a VGA connector.  So in fact you COULD continue to use it but using a somewhat superior DVI cabling approach.

However...

That LG Flatron L1720P monitor is a very old 17" screen, with 1280x1024 resolution.  That is kind of "very squarish", and does not provide a "wide" Windows desktop area.

Honestly, my suggestion for a fairly inexpensive ($110) additional investment that will VASTLY IMPROVE your Windows desktop experience is to go with that 22" ViewSonic monitor.  It will be MUCH brighter, MUCH better color, 22" diagaonal 16x9 rectangular shape instead of 17" square-shape, and 1920x1080 Windows desktop resolution instead of 1280x1024 (so considerably wider "real estate"), which then allows you to have more simultaneously open windows presented "side by side" rather than forcing them to overlay each other.  You'll be able to visually see multiple things open on your screen at one time side-by-side, and you won't have to constantly navigate (i.e. click on the title bar or taskbar, to give "focus" to the window you want to see) back and forth from one window to the other as you probably currently do.  They'll instead now both be visible at one time, side-by-side on the much wider screen area.

And a new monitor can clearly then connect to whatever digital connector is on that nVidia GT720 card you have in your new M900.

I don't know what your eyesight is like, but if you do get a new monitor like the one I suggest (and you're obviously free to buy whatever you want, even larger than that good value 22" I suggested) my own additional suggestion is to specify "125%" text size on the Windows desktop properties.  This will make all text 25% larger, darker, and clearer and easier to read.

This 125% tweak is standard procedure for most people when getting new larger high-resolution monitors running with 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolution, because the native 100% text size is simply too small and tiny on these screens to be easily read from a normal viewing distance.  Some people accept 100% but it just looks "less elegant" and more "dot-matrix" looking.  At 125% the text appears to have "more ink", and is much more sleek and clear.

That's my recommendation.  A new good-value 22" wide screen monitor with 1920x1080.  Or a larger 24" wide screen monitor with 1920x1200 but you probably don't need that since you've been living with a 17" square screen forever.  There are obviously even much larger wide screen monitors also available, but price goes up significantly and you almost certainly have no need for such a large screen.  And run 125% text size.

But for sure, you cannot be using the motherboard VGA connector up top on the rear of your case since you have an external discrete graphics card installed, i.e. the nVidia GT720 down near the bottom.  It is one of those GT720 connectors you must be using. If there is a VGA connector there, you can use it right now.  Otherwise, you should be using a digital connector on the GT720 and go to the DVI connector on the LG monitor, using a proper 2-ended cable.

Or, proceed with a brand new monitor as I suggest and get all excited when you see how it looks.

Options

8 Posts

06-12-2016

US

11 Signins

172 Page Views

• Message 10 of 15

2016-06-13, 1:18 AM

Thank you ever so much...I don't believe there is another VGA on the bottom, my buddy who plugged in the wires would have seen it...I don't have any other wires for this monitor besides the VGA it came with....You are probably correct, it is probably time for a new monitor!!!     LOL!!    My old computer was an HP with the early version of Vista....Got the computer dirt cheap, nobody wanted Vista when it was released, people put these almost new desktops online cause they didn't like them!!    Got mine for $200.00 cause nobody was bidding....Of course now Vista has run it's course and I'm continually reminded to upgrade my operating system...Plus the computer has been freezing a LOT of late too....The CD burner quit years ago, I've been using an external....All in all it's been reliable, I just don't like how HP is designing the new ones with the DVD burner sideways and USB ports on top behind the plastic thing...Hard for me to reach.....I liked how this Lenovo was designed, if I ever get it to work.....LOL!!    Thanks for your help!!!!  Have a great week.....

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save