cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkelaiditis
Not applicable
Views: 7,165
Message 1 of 23

M900x & Tiny: Recover from failed BIOS update (CMOS jumper)

Hi, 

I have a problem, after a BIOS update the machine does not start. On power up, light indicator is green but nothing is displayed on the monitor.

This happened in the procedure described here: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_bios/fwjy5fusa.txt
on Step 6, after the reboot.
How can I address this problem? Is there any way to reset the BIOS to previous state?

Thanks!

Mod:  edited Subject line to define which M900 model and clarify the problem description

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 7,138
Message 2 of 23

Re: M900 BIOS reset

In the hardware maintenance manual for your specific model of M900, there will be a section on how to recover from a BIOS update failure. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
mkelaiditis
Not applicable
Views: 7,121
Message 3 of 23

So, for my model, the M900x (tiny form factor), the hardware maintenance manual includes a section titled "Updating and recovering the BIOS" but on that page it has no recovery info, only a "Updating the BIOS" section. 

In contrast, the M900 (tower form factor) hardware maintenance maual has a recovery section that outlines a solution involving setting some jumpers. 

I really do hope the M900x is a bit more advanced and can recover without setting jumpers. I will try tonight to update using the cd iso method.

Bandi7killz
Not applicable
Views: 7,075
Message 4 of 23

Spoiler
Hi i have Lenovo idéa pad 300 80m3 it boots with  black screen no bios logo after change in bois sata contrôler fromage arhi to compatitive mode.i try the trick with  the battery to reset the bios but doesnt  work .can someone send me a bois file for phonex çrisis or any idea that can work plus (fn+r still works)
gregor1
Not applicable
Views: 7,068
Message 5 of 23

Hi, I have the same problem. After Updating the BIOS with the Lenovo Companion it doesn't boot anymore.

Did you find a solution?

What does not help:

- Remove the BIOS battery, wait some minutes. Insert it and boot

It's a customers Workstation and I'm not able to get any support member on the phone :-(

The device was bought two month ago and is now broken. I though Lenovo would build more stable Hardware and Software, especially for such a expensive device.

EDIT: The M900 gives two short beeps

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 7,062
Message 6 of 23

What system do you have, please include the form factor and the 4 digit model number.  Thx.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
gregor1
Not applicable
Views: 7,058
Message 7 of 23

ThinkCentre Tiny M900 10NE

gregor1
Not applicable
Views: 7,049
Message 8 of 23

Does anybody know how the BIOS recovery procedure should work here?

Does anybody know the support phone number for Austria?

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 7,048
Message 9 of 23

Can you create a bootable flash drive using the 'CD ISO' file (file name ends in .iso) from BIOS page here.   Then boot from it and run the stand-alone installer (when it asks if you want to change the model and/or serial number, reply no unless you're replaced the motherboard.)  

mkelaiditis
Not applicable
Views: 7,037
Message 10 of 23

So, in my case I had the motherboard replaced by a tech support guy. I called a number that I found on the site where I purchased the pc and had an appointement made for the next day, on site. Half an hour work, all went fine.

Before that, I tried to flash the pc using the ISO image on a cd-rom. I managed to succeed the re-flashing operation but the pc again wouldn't start. If you try that, you need to open up the case and set a jumper correctly. The hardware maintenance manual for M900x is missing this piece of info (look in the hardware maintenance manual of M900 for details, the location of the jumper is in the front, about 1cm away behind the speaker).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors