Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakerr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,534
Message 1 of 10

M90p: How to make Windows see an additional HDD

Thinkcentere M90 Tower, Model 5852-C15, Ser# Mxxxxxx, BIOS Rev 5JKT65AUS 8/5/2014 Win10 64-bit
Need help so my system can see the additional hdd that i installed. I ran Lenovo Solution Center Hardware scan and it shows everything is Good. But it does not see the 2nd Hard Drive.

When I look in the BIOS the 2nd Hard Drive is there and identified correctly.
2nd Hard Drive is plugged into SATA 2 port on MB (SATA 0 is C drive, SATA 1 is DVD drive)
Best I can tell the BIOS is up to date ( BIOS Rev 5JKT65AUS 8/5/2014 ) for this machine.
In Win10 "This PC" does not see the drive.
The drive is working and has a drive letter assigned, I moved it from another PC.
Not sure what I am missing to make this work.

Mod:  edited Subject line move system type to front; & post to hide the serial per forum security polices

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,524
Message 2 of 10

Re: M90: Need help so my system can see the additional hdd

Have you tried the new HDD on SATA port 1, and DVD on port 2? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,497
Message 3 of 10

I agree with BiggAl.  I have seen cases where faster devices (disks) are missed on SATA controllers when they follow slower devices (DVD)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
bakerr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,496
Message 4 of 10

Okay, switched SATA 1 and 2 now can see HDD but not DVD. I confirmed in BIOS (F1) that is could see DVD and identified it correctly. So how do I get SATA 2 and SATA 3 to work?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,488
Message 5 of 10

Try a 'Clear CMOS (reset)' with all 3 drives connected.   In the Hardware Maintenance manual, look for a section on earsing lost passwords. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
bakerr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,479
Message 6 of 10

Are you pointing me at removing and reinstalling the Battery for the CMOS? I did not see any reference when I searched the HMM for Clear CMOS
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,442
Message 7 of 10

Your machine has 3 sata ports and 1 Esata port.

ab

cd

C is the esata port.

What do you have plugged into a,b,d using letters?

Your original post stated BIOS shows all 3 devices, but windows MY PC shows letter, no device for new hdd, is this correct?. 

==

Also state using letters, where original C drive hdd and DVD were plugged into.

==============

My A57 machine has 4 sata ports stacked. a,b,c,d and my observations.

a nothing

b DVD cable blue

c 320GB black cable. my 2nd HDD.

d 160GB black cable. My C drive.

=

Bios states:

primary IDE master 160GB

Slave IDE DVD

Secondary IDE master 320GB

Slave IDE no device.

==

IDE is old school. It is all sata.

[corrected: to show the confusion still exists on older machines]. 

Thus avoid use of port sata 0, sata 1, etc.

=

Restated:

A channel 2 port 2<empty

B channel 1 port 2<DVD

C channel 2 port 1<320 GB

D channel 1 port 1<160GB

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,438
Message 8 of 10

My apologies, the tasks are documented differently for different models.  

Take a look at section 'Recovering from a POST/BIOS update failure', and do everything but insert the disk, leave on in maint mode for 5 mins.   If that doesn't work, you could try again with a disk (using the CD ISO file on the BIOS page burned.)

EDIT:  do the above port designation first. 

bakerr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,386
Message 9 of 10

BiggAl, thank you for getting me pointed in the right direction.  I did power down, remove the power cable and then removed the CMOS Battery for 15 + seconds.  With the CMOS Battery reinstalled and HDDs already connected I repowered the system and enter the BIOS (F1) screens to confirm.  The all the connected drives were there and accurately described. 

The one issue I still had to overcome is somehow in the process of booting without clearing the CMOS, the Master File Table gets corrupted or is unreadable.  I came up with a kludgy work around by using another system with an older OS to run CHKDSK and clear it up.  For some reason Win10 does not seem to automatically perform a CHKDSK repair.  If Win10 can see the drive I know I can run a CHKDSK but in this case that is not an option.

Once I get the MFT corrected I reinstalled the offending HDDs, Cleared the CMOS, and rebooted into the BIOS screens.  From there I EXIT and SAVE the BIOS setting and the system reboots and recognized the changed HDD and works fine. 

I go way back with PCs and I've not encountered as tempremental CMOS BIOS situation like this one.  I'll go look through the 'Recovering from a POST/BIOS update failure' to see if it helps further.  If you can think of some other sort of messed up setting that is contributing to this I appreciate your advice.  Otherwise I'll live with this hassle while I reconfigure this machine to hold some large data sets on our LAN.   The machine acts stable once I get it configured correctly.

sclexman: Thank you for taking the time to chime in to help.  It is much appreciated.   Your description does not seem to match my system.  On my MoBo the connections are clearly labled SATA1, SATA2, SATA3 ........   My MoBo may support eSATA but is not labled in the machine. 

According to the labeling on my MoBo the C: HDD (250 GB) is connected to SATA1 and the DVD is connected to SATA2. 

I appreciate the help!

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,373
Message 10 of 10

To restate and clarify (from my view).

You stated:

In Win10 "This PC" does not see the drive.
The drive is working and has a drive letter assigned

If this was on your current system, I would point you to examine NEW HDD, which you finally did, and not messing with CMOS battery at all. The CMOS and BIOS did not mess with your new hdd... it had a strange issue from day 1.

Below is a screenshot of your MOBO.  My MOBO has no labeling as far as sata 1,2,3, thus the use of letters for better understanding. 

mobo.png

The way I see it ..

A channel 2 port 2< your c drive
B channel 1 port 2<DVD
C channel 2 port 1<esata blank
D channel 1 port 1<blank

=

Add  new HDD. Use slot D

Now you have:

A channel 2 port 2< your c drive
B channel 1 port 2<DVD
C channel 2 port 1<esata blank
D channel 1 port 1<new HDD

Is this what your system looks like now?

The point I am making, the ports internally are backward of what you would think.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors