Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shadowlight
Punch Card
Views: 1,024
Message 1 of 6

M90p USFF upgrade questions

Hi all!

I've recently got an used M90p USFF 5296-W1D which I'd like to upgrade with RAM and HDD:

In the HMM is stated 4GB RAM limit - is this still true or was it only at the time the manual was printed? If not: what is the max RAM possible? 8GB or 16GB?

There is no mention of max HDD size - what is the limit? I have seen in the past different limits with some controllers (137GB, 2-3TB) and would like to know if a 10TB 3,5"HDD is useable without ID11 disc controller error.

Cheers

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,012
Message 2 of 6

Re: M90p USFF upgrade questions

Check what Kingston and Crucial has for max memory and upgrade options for this particular system. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SeniorGuru
Views: 987
Message 3 of 6

@shadowlight wrote:

Hi all!

I've recently got an used M90p USFF 5296-W1D which I'd like to upgrade with RAM and HDD:

In the HMM is stated 4GB RAM limit - is this still true or was it only at the time the manual was printed? If not: what is the max RAM possible? 8GB or 16GB?

There is no mention of max HDD size - what is the limit? I have seen in the past different limits with some controllers (137GB, 2-3TB) and would like to know if a 10TB 3,5"HDD is useable without ID11 disc controller error.

Cheers

According to this Lenovo "specs" for the M90p, the maximum memory is 8GB:  UDIMM, PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3, four 240-pin DIMM sockets, holding a max of 2GB in each slot.

Also, this is a very old machine (circa 2010) with very old BIOS, only supporting USB 2.0 and SATA-II.  No USB 3.0 and no SATA-III.

I would imagine it also only supports MBR partitioning on drives, which limits max drive/partition size to 2TB.  Anything larger than 2TB would require BIOS support for GPT partitioning, and I'm sure that GPT support is not in this M90p BIOS.

But specifically, the Lenovo specs indicate quite small max drive limits: Supports 160GB, 250GB, 320GB, 500GB and 1TB.

This machine was designed for WinXP, Win Vista, and Win7.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 979
Message 4 of 6

User has M90p ECO Ultra Small  Form Factor Model 5296.

This psref pdf page 371 shows a 5296-A1U 2 sockets 8GB max. (The is not users machine type and model). 

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/ldwbook2013.pdf

The hardware maintenance manual page 27 shows 4GB max 2 sockets.

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/71y7234.pdf

Memory parts, page 103, item 8 shows 4GB stick. 5296 is blank vs all models.

Only the 2GB sticks show 5296.  Impies 4 GB max.

shadowlight
Punch Card
Views: 962
Message 5 of 6

Thanks guys for your quick answers!

@BiggAl: Kingston doesn't list the machine at all (too old) and Crucial tells me 2x2GB with the remark "factory advice could not be exceeded". But as we all know is the specs for X61s also 4GB but 8GB is working...

So factory specs at the time the manual was printed are more or less useless because larger sizes doesn't exist at that time.

Thats why I asked for user experiences..

@DSperber: I wouldn't call a 2010 machine "very old" - very old is my butterfly ,)

@sclexman: Thank you for finding the lwdbook - I've only checked the HMM! Even if it's not the exact model it is at least the same type - I give 8GB a try if I can borrow some from a friend.

If nobody has experiences concerning the HDD I have to test it myself if I can find one... (I don't like to buy one and send it back after testing).

SeniorGuru
Views: 948
Message 6 of 6

@shadowlight wrote:

Cheers

Again, you can make full use of drives > 2TB only if they're partitioned using GPT.  The BIOS has to be able to read the drive contents in order to know where partitions are, where to boot from, etc.

I'm still skeptical that if the stated HDD max size in the Lenovo specs is 1TB that the legacy BIOS in the M90p supports any partitioning other than MBR, which will necessarily limit your absolute max drive size to 2TB for sure.  That's just my hunch.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors