Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JuddWill
Paper Tape
Views: 2,444
Message 1 of 31

M90z shuts down after exactly 30 minutes

I have 10 Thinkcentre M90z’s in my library. They are 1 year out of warranty but have been working great, except for one.

It began to Shut off exactly every 30 minutes. This computer is open to the public, so I don’t know if something was changed.

Windows7 event viewer said power was interrupted unexpectedly.

Did diagnostic and All hardware running good All temperatures in the green and NO overheating Bios upgraded to the latest version

Ran memory test, reseated Mem, booted up only one memory bank,

Ran Chkdisk Repair

Ran virus Scan

Booted up in safe mode.

Booted into BIOS Only and waited , Yep 30min exactly shuts off.

I can restart right away and 30mins later , off. I have done this in a series of 6 or more times , right after shut downs.

Started to Replace complete new image with clean and formatting Disk. (got 90% done before it shut down in 30min)

Replace with a known good harddrive….boots into windows fine, then, 30 mins off it goes.

Back to partial image hard drive so only Boots into BIOS

replaced CMOS battery Re-pasted GPU and CPU I have compared all BIOS settings with known good machine and all are same.

Have reset Bios to Factory default settings…..

I think this has to be a Bios setting somewhere? Any Ideas?

Guru
Views: 2,423
Message 2 of 31

Re: M90z shuts down after exactly 30 minutes

Hi JuddWill

1. Does the issue still occurs when only 1 or 2 ThinkCentre are powered on?

2. Does 10 of the ThinkCentre automatically powered off 30 minutes at the same time?

3. Is the 10 ThinkCentre Desktop connected to the same power extender / connector?

Peter
ThinkPad W520 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | Yoga 11s | Yoga 3 Pro | Yoga 900 | Yoga Home 900 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro | Miix 2 10" | IdeaPad Y460p | IdeaPad K1 | 3000 Y300 

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | I am an active volunteer, not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

List of Sound Enhancement Thread

W520 ; Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet ; Yoga 3 Pro ; X100e ; Vibe Shot ; Yoga 900

JuddWill
Paper Tape
Views: 2,407
Message 3 of 31

Thanks for taking a look.

This "30 min" problem  is only happening on one of the units.

All have been connected to same power circut once, but we moved the affected unit to work room and to

different workbenchs with the exact same issue.

Guru
Views: 2,394
Message 4 of 31

You are most welcome! Smiley Very Happy JuddWill

1. Have you tried to replace power cords / power adapter (if applicable)?

2. Does this issue occurs when you leave the affected M90z powered on in the BIOS menu (not booting to Windows)?

3. If (2.) is Yes, the issue could either be from the power adapter / PSU or the system board. You may have to contact Tech Support on this.

Peter
ThinkPad W520 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | Yoga 11s | Yoga 3 Pro | Yoga 900 | Yoga Home 900 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro | Miix 2 10" | IdeaPad Y460p | IdeaPad K1 | 3000 Y300 

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | I am an active volunteer, not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

List of Sound Enhancement Thread

W520 ; Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet ; Yoga 3 Pro ; X100e ; Vibe Shot ; Yoga 900

glamprecht
Paper Tape
Views: 2,378
Message 5 of 31

I have read a lot about this 30 minute problem. Apparently there is a "safety feature" in the Intel i5 CPU that is shutting down the system. It was originally intended by Intel to prevent high performance CPU's from being used to upgrade low cost chipset/motherboards. If the CPU senses a chipset that is not matched by their marketing department, it starts a 30 minute timer. Another feature using this was their anti-theft solution.

The problem is that Intel discontinued their online service beginning 2015 and so PC's started to fall over.

I my case something went wrong in the communication channel used to determine the chipset details. The M90Z works 100% for 30 minutes and then the CPU pulls the power.

You can unplug your harddrive and all peripherals, and startup into the BIOS. After 30 minutes and 00 seconds the computer will turn off. If you put the CPU into sleep, and wake it up again after 28 minutes it will do another 30 minutes. It is not power supply related and it is not BIOS related. You can even pause it before entering BIOS and it will turn off after 30 minutes.

I believe Lenovo should offer us a solution for us, by forcing Intel to give them a update application that will override this feature in the CPU.

Can anyone ever trust Intel ever again? Purchasing hardware these days means that you put yourself at the mercy of barely ethical behaviour of manufacturers. Did we buy a license from Intel to use the CPU only with certain chipsets - I dont recall that being made clear amongst all the advertising jargon.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,358
Message 6 of 31

I'm confused by your post. The OP has 10 of this system, but only one has the 30 min problem. You say it's a mismatch between the processor and chipset, so shouldn't all the systems have the 30 min problem since they have the same processor/chipset? Please tell us more. Thank you.
I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
glamprecht
Paper Tape
Views: 2,352
Message 7 of 31

I guess you have either one of two issues:

(1) The Intel anti-theft feature is switching it off after 30 minutes. It gives you 30 minutes to validate. I dont know how the anti theft works exactly because Intel's documentation is very vague. It was also advertised by Lenovo when they sold the Thinkcentres. How do you activate it and when does it think that the system is stolen - when a new Operating System or harddrive is installed? Not sure.

(2) The Intel processor protection feature. It is built into i5 processors for a fact. I suspect the i5 processor communicate to the chipset via some I2C lines. If one of those lines are broken (like a faulty motherboard) it would not be able to validate and turn off after 30 minutes.

Personally I think it has more to do with the anti theft function - but I cannot figure out how it works. I could not find much on it under Lenovo either.

BeeFuddled
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,084
Message 8 of 31

Just to add my 2 cents worth - I am currently the 'proud' owner of 2 of these M90z with this same shutdown problem 30 minutes and off - dead- no indication of life ! This a little annoying to say the least. I think i have tried every BIOS setting and actually FLASHED the BIOS, but all to no avail. If there is someone out there who has found a cure, I and many others, would appreciate the HELP. PLEASE and THANK YOU

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,078
Message 9 of 31

What is the sersion and date of the BIOS currently installed?   Thx. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
BeeFuddled
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,059
Message 10 of 31

Maybe too much info

=====================

machine type = 2471A79

System brand ID = ThinkCentre M90z

Serial # = ********

BIOS Date = 07/04/2011

BIOS Revision = 9BKT41AUS

BOOT Block Level = 9B34A

Embeded Controller Ver = 9BCT32A

=============================

all from BIOS screen

Mod:   removed serial # for the security of posters system, per the forum guidelines

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors