Did you mean: 
BeeFuddled
Not applicable
Views: 1,306
Message 11 of 31

Re: M90z shuts down after exactly 30 minutes

I even went one step beyond and removed the HDD and ODD

Powered on and got the screen

Error 1962: Mo operating system found. Press any key to repeat the boot sequence.

At this screen I waited the usual 30 min and 0 Sec and DEAD again.

changed the memory to a new set and repeated. Yah you guessed it - DEAD in 30 minutes

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 1,293
Message 12 of 31

@BeeFuddled wrote:

Maybe too much info

=====================

machine type = 2471A79

System brand ID = ThinkCentre M90z

Serial # = ********

BIOS Date = 07/04/2011

BIOS Revision = 9BKT41AUS

That's the next to the last release.   I didn't see anything in the readme file that would make me think that's a fix for it, but may be worth a try.  

I'd also install HW Monitor, the free version.   Take a screen shot of all the temps after 2 mins & 5 mins and then again at 25, monitor going to 30 mins.   Are any of them showing a large discrepancy?    The reason I suggest this, is that the 'Z' form factor uses a processor fan/cooler from a high-end laptop.   I know from the ThinkPads I've owned, I've had to replace the fan/cooler after about 3 yrs of heavy use.   If the fan has died or the cooler is clogged with dust, that could explain why it shuts down after 30 mins.   

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
glamprecht
Not applicable
Views: 1,279
Message 13 of 31

I did the temperature checks every 5 minutes and the system is not overheating. I also went and purchased a brand new power supply because initially I suspected that.

But then I realised if it is always 30 minutes 0 seconds it cannot be a circuit board failure, temperature or power supply or anything attributed to a fault. It must be some firmware that is counting down from 30 minutes and turning off the system. Someone was instructed to WRITE firmware to turn off the system after 30 minutes.

From my perspective Lenovo is wilfully and maliciously sabotaging these machines in an attempt to get consumers to either replace or conform to something. If Lenovo think Intel is responsible, they must take it up with Intel. We purchased Lenovo, not Intel.

I would like to get my machine working again, but in the meantime nobody in the IT industry that I know will ever buy Lenovo again, and in our area the word spreads quickly. I have shown this machine to many, and it does not fill them with joy to see Lenovo wilfully breaking these machines. It creates doubt whether if we buy 200 machines, 10% or 30% of them will do this after a few years. It is embarassing for an IT manager to be involved in procurement of machines that does not fail, but have timed-turnoff. It is very very clearly not a fault - it was specifically programmed to do this. Someone was paid to write some firmware to turn off the system. You cannot dispute that. If Lenovo cannot tell is why and how, then they are deviously supporting whoever gave instruction at Lenovo, Intel or whoever to write this section of firmware.

BeeFuddled
Not applicable
Views: 1,272
Message 14 of 31

Loaded and run the hardware monitor and created the attached doc

thanks

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 1,259
Message 15 of 31

Can you flash (update) the BIOS using the CD ISO method.   Please run the update twice, with a power-off in-between and not letting it load Windows.   Let us know if the messages do not indicate a flash taking place.    Give it another test.     Thx. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
BeeFuddled
Not applicable
Views: 1,228
Message 16 of 31

Hey BiggAl

Did CD Flash 2 times

1st time I said no to replace serial and all was successful and reboot

disconnect power

reconnect power and boot to cd

2nd time said no to serial and machine 'something'  - all successful and

reboot to bios window and -no serial #

let sit at this display (no windows running) and at 30 min it shut off again

just a little crazier now

I will run again and insert serial #

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 1,221
Message 17 of 31

Thanks for trying that.  

What's the timeline?   How old is it?   When did it start shutting down?   Was there any change around that time, hardware added, changed?  USB devices?   Software? 

BeeFuddled
Not applicable
Views: 1,211
Message 18 of 31

One of these units started this problem shortly after I purchased it used. With this unit I experienced the problem some time after I finished setting it up for resale. it ran in my window as an item for resale for about 3 weeks. during this time the screen saver would come on at 15 min, sleep at 90 min and hibernate at 4 hrs. Several times during the day I would wake it up and let it go through its cycle which was always on MORE than 30 minutes with no SHUTDOWN until one morning I observed it was OFF. I pushed the power to turn it back on and later noticed it was OFF AGAIN. After several repeats of this OFF problem I decided it was a power problem  and changed the power supply only to have the shutdown problem persist. I then decided it was heat related and used a laser temp sensor to test - no heat problems were obvious . In the meantime I sold the second unit over 5 months ago with the only change in configuration - W10 Installed. Ten days ago the customer called and explained her problem   (she was very precise with her complaint) "Turn ON, with 30 minute shutdown". I asked her to bring it in and I tested it. then I started to think about this first unit I had "put aside" and had ignored. Both are exhibiting the same problem. The customer says nothing was changed, as in my case with unit one, it just started to do the 30 min shutdown on its own. And to repeat: this shut down will occur 'in BIOS screen', 'boot with no HDD and no ODD' and 'new memory'. I keep reading about INTEL Anti-Theft features with out any explanations about how to defeat same.

Totally BeeFuddled

P.S.

I will try no HDD, no ODD and no Memory combination and report results.

BeeFuddled
Not applicable
Views: 1,203
Message 19 of 31

Hey BiggAl

To continue this saga, I did test with NO HDD and NO ODD and NO MEMORY and speaker disconnected.

Guess what; The 30 minutes and DEAD adventure continues

we

CANNOT blame windows

CANNOT blame HDD

CANNOT blame ODD

CANNOT blame Memory

CANNOT blame Power Supply

CANNOT blame Overheat

All that is left is Hardware (motherboard) (bios) etc.

Logically I cannot blame the motherboard as two of my computers exhibit the EXACT same symptoms.

The symptom being, An Exact, after power on, 30 Minute shut down timer.

In my LIMITED hardware knowledge, I can only surmise that the ONLY programmed device left is the BIOS.

as this BIOS can be hacked, and I have NO KNOWLEDGE of how to FIX it, I am at the mercy of, and thankful to, people like yourself who know more than me.

In the hope of continued help I am thankfull

BeeFuddled

glamprecht
Not applicable
Views: 1,199
Message 20 of 31

Here is a guy that managed to get his 30min problem fixed by flashing the bios, but it does not appear that he flashed the manufacturer's recommended bios. It does not seem like the Lenovo Bios solves the problem through..

http://www.win-raid.com/t1602f16-New-PC-Shutdown-after-EXCACT-minutes-even-in-BIOS-Bios-update.html

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors