Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

2910 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11501 Signins

63351 Page Views

• Views: 63351
  • Message 1 of 3

M910 SFF & Tower: M.2 slots and M.2 storage questions

2017-07-03, 1:14 AM

I don't know if the two M.2 slots on the M910 motherboard (for both SFF and tower cases) are really identical and can actually support two real M.2 storage drives. The specs talk about only one M.2 storage drive.

The diagram show two M.2 connectors, but one is described as "M.2 storage drive slot" and the other is "M.2 WiFi card slot".

The M.2 SSD Kit (Part #4XF0P01011) which is needed if you actually want to install one/two M.2 cards in these machines (since the required mounting bracket is not provided with the case, but must be ordered separately as part of this M.2 SSD Kit for $9.99) has the two bottom pieces to which the one/two M.2 cards you use would be tightened down.  So physically, it seems you could clearly have one or two M.2 cards.

But as to whether or not the so-called M.2 WiFi card slot can just be used for holding a second M.2 storage drive, well I don't know.  I don't know if there's anything which would prevent this, if both connectors are on the PCIe bus and have the same bandwidth.

Anybody know for sure, one way or the other?

Mod:  moved question to to own thread, since SFF & Tower use different motherboard than Tiny

Options

5892 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8536 Signins

140368 Page Views

• Views: 140368
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: M910 SFF & Tower: M.2 slots and M.2 storage questions

2017-07-03, 12:37 PM

But as to whether or not the so-called M.2 WiFi card slot can just be used for holding a second M.2 storage drive, well I don't know.  I don't know if there's anything which would prevent this, if both connectors are on the PCIe bus and have the same bandwidth. 

Slots designed for WiFi are keyed (notched) differently than storage.   WiFi uses an A and E key, storage uses B and M, and cards are sometimes keyed for both B and M.   Because of the keys, cards cannot be put into the wrong slot.  

Understanding M.2, the interface that will speed up your next SSD

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

2910 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11501 Signins

63351 Page Views

• Views: 63351
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: M910 SFF & Tower: M.2 slots and M.2 storage questions

2017-07-03, 21:22 PM

Thanks for clarifying.

I've quoted your reply on this other thread contrasting M710 vs. M910, as your answer seems to be relevant there as well.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms