cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blharvey
Paper Tape
Views: 3,230
Message 1 of 3

M910 Tiny A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing” when installing Window 7 64bit

When attempting to re-install Windows 7 64 bit I get A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing” when installing Windows 7 64bit.

I have tried canceling the install and moving my USB flash to another port. All USB ports are USB 3.0. I have tried using a bootable USB with the slip streamed USB drivers,How to Slipstream Microsoft KB Article and Drivers into Microsoft Windows 7 ISO . Same error, I am not sure if I have the correct USB 3.0 drivers, I found these https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS029189 , they are for the ThinkCentre, but dated 2012. Any suggestions would be appreciated, 

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,217
Message 2 of 3

Re: M910 Tiny A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing” when installing Window 7 64bit

In order to install Win7 on a Skylake-based (or newer) machine which has a CPU that MS still supports Win7 for, you must recreate new Win7 installation media (e.g. new bootable USB flash drive) which includes required USB 3.0 drivers because USB mouse/keyboard is supported by USB 3.0 in SKylake or newer chipsets.  These necessary USB 3.0 drivers are not present in the original Win7 installation media.  Same also is true for NVMe drivers (either for Intel or Samsung) if you wanted to install Win7 to an NVMe target SSD, as these required NVMe drivers are also missing from the original Win7 install media.

The easiest and most reliable way to create usable bootable USB media to install Win7 with the required USB 3.0 driver (and optionally also the required NVMe drivers) present is to use the Gigabyte USB Installation utility program, developed several years ago to support their own users who'd bought Gigabyte motherboards based on the Intel 100 Series chipset. 

The Gigabyte utility is available from the Gigabyte download site, scrolling down on the page and expanding the "Utilities" category.  It is described as: Windows USB Installation Tool, (Note) Support Intel 100/200/X299 series motherboards. OS: Windows 7 64bit,Windows 7 32bit.

The direct link to the utility on that page is here.

You simply run the utility, specify the source Win7 installer (either CD/DVD or mounted ISO file), specify the output device (e.g. 8GB or larger USB flash drive), and check USB 3.0 driver and optionally NVMe driver.  You should uncheck the third "packages" box, which will for some reason automatically click on if you check the NVME second box.  The utility will slipstream the missing requested drivers along with the original Win7 media into a new bootable USB flash drive that you can then use to install Win7 to a Skylake or newer machine.

IMPORTANT NOTE: after you download the ZIP file, before unzipping it you must turn off the BLOCKED security flag that is present.  Unless you first remove the security flag before unzipping, the result of unzipping will be to prevent the expanded files from being accessible when you actually run the Gigabyte utility (which also is one of the files imbedded in the ZIP file), and it will end abnormally with an error message about "unable to add drivers...".

To solve the problem right-click on the ZIP file, select Properties, and you will see the Security item at the bottom of the General tab.  Push the UNBLOCK button, then APPLY/OK, and now you are free to unzip this ZIP file.  All of the expanded files will now be perfectly readable by the Gigabyte utility, and the process of adding USB 3.0 (and optionally NVMe) drivers to the original Win7 CD/DVD or ISO installer media to create new output bootable USB flash drive will run to normal completion.

blharvey
Paper Tape
Views: 3,186
Message 3 of 3

Re: M910 Tiny A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing” when installing Window 7 64bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors