Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wdpcpa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 178
Message 1 of 5

M910Z type 10NR - How to boot from USB

My all in one is preforming well.  But I have had issues in the past and it would be nice to boot from an USB flash drive if I need to do that.

What are the steps I should follow to have a usb flash drive that will boot my PC and also set the computer so that it will check the proper USB port for the flash drive.  I have a USB flash drive from Lenovo that is called a Factory Recovery USB Key (for ThinkCentre M901Z Type 10NR 10NS 10NT 10NJ).  Is that useful to the objective?

I am assuming I would have to have the full Windows 10 operating system on a flash drive?

What are the steps?

Thanks,

Bill

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 149
Message 2 of 5

Re: M910Z type 10NR - How to boot from USB

Hi wdpcpa!

Welcome to the Community,

The Factory Recovery USB key that you received from us is what you need to reinstall the operating system of your laptop in case of trouble. The guide below is also helpful in doing so,

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500209

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

wdpcpa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 148
Message 3 of 5

I don't want to reinstall. 

I want to be able to boot from my USB drive.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 144
Message 4 of 5

In case there's a problem with the OS, recovery media will help you in repairing it. When using Recovery Media, you can either initiate a Windows Repair (which won't affect the file), or completely reinstall OS (Delete the File). Same step mentioned above will also apply to booting from USB Drive. Just to clarify, you want to have a back up OS that is saved in the USB Flash Drive where you can boot in case that the preloaded OS is not working, like a Dual Boot, but same Operating System, is that correct?

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

wdpcpa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 130
Message 5 of 5

I think that is correct.  Back in the stone age, I used to have a floppy disk I could boot from.  The bios was set to check drive A and then Drive C.  If there was a virus for example, one could boot from the floppy and then initiate procedures to deal with the virus.

I would like to have that option with my M910Z from a USB and I am not sure how to do it.   Even back in the stone age, my son adjusted the bios.  I didn't do it.  So not sure what to do.

I figured this was common and someone could walk me through it.

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors