Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JustinDarnell
Paper Tape
Views: 158
Message 1 of 4

M910q BIOS update during SCCM OSD

I have a requirement to flash the BIOS of the M910q to the latest version during imaging using SCCM. I have tried using the steps provided by support here and was only get them to work for the M1AKT39A package but not the M1AKT3AA package. The 3AA package shows a successful installation in the SMSTS.LOG but the BIOS never updates.

Following the instructions in the link above requires the computer to fully shut down (not reboot) after applying the update. This is not feasable for updating the BIOS during OSD. Is there any way to easilly apply these updates without shutting down?

Thank you

Justin

Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 123
Message 2 of 4

Re: M910q BIOS update during SCCM OSD

Hi,

Unfortunately with ThinkCentre, BIOS updates requires an S5 shutdown to finish the second phase of the flash process as noted in the blog post you linked.  If updating the BIOS is required as part of an OSD, you're going to need to move the flash near the end of your task sequence while also leveraging the SMSTSPostAction that calls the shutdown, so your task sequence finishes cleanly (also noted i the blog).  you won't be able to update BIOS on ThinkCentre's at the beginning of the task sequence as the required shutdown will break the task sequence.

hope this helps.

JustinDarnell
Paper Tape
Views: 117
Message 3 of 4

That is incredibly disappointing considering the linked documents states specifically that “This will not shut down the system to the point of having to physically push the power button to turn back on”. After powering off the machine and ending the task sequence it will not be possible to resume bitlocker protection.

Is there a workaround for this scenario?

Lenovo Employee pjorgensen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 100
Message 4 of 4

with windows 10, bitlocker re-enables automatically after one reboot.  i just deployed an m910q and updated the BIOS all in one go, with bitlocker enabled and keys backed up to AD.  here's a brief flow of how my task sequence looks:

Format/Partition

Pre-provision BitLocker

Apply OS

Download BIOS package

Run command line: flash64.cmd /ign /sccm /quiet

Native Enable BitLocker step

SMSTSPostAction Task Sequence Variable: cmd.exe /c shutdown -s -t 0 -f

Once i logged in for the first time, I can run manage-bde -status and i see:

Conversion status: Used space only encrypted

Perecentage: 100%

Protection status: protection on

Key protectors: Numerical password and TPM