cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omajr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,540
Message 1 of 5

M910q no WiFi and no slot for M.2 (like for Intel 8265)

Time of purchase the lenovo product page ofthis M910q tiny desktop the customizing screens were so ambiguous and when I received the product in hand then realized there is no wifi and bluetooth whatsoever.   However I was able to make it out from external discussion groups about its optional, then went back to product page learnt there is a cost of $35 for Intel Wireless-AC 8265...  so in the hopes of doing it myself I've purchased Intel Wifi Wireless-AC 8265 8265.NGWMG separately and tried to install it but when I opened the box apparently there is no slot at all.  Please advise how can I make this installed? 

The online customer support just allows to open the ticket, smart backoffice support folks cancels the tickets without any resolutions and if I tried to reach via phone lines goes in circles... Atlanta Georgia hardware repair center's phone rings, rings and then abruptly hangs up, 

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,520
Message 2 of 5

Re: M910q no WiFi and no slot for M.2 (like for Intel 8265)

Looking at the hardware maintenance manual for the M910q, it DOES appear that there is a slot for an M.2 WiFi card. It is item (11) on the motherboard in the picture below.

And looking at the information for the Intel Wifi Wireless-AC 8265 8265.NGWMG card you bought, it does look like this should be usable in that slot.  See pages 32-34 for pictorial instructions on how to do it.

But to be honest, I have no firsthand contact with the M910q, so I can't confirm the above info.

M910q_motherboard.jpg

Note that the instructions seem to show a tightening screw to hold the end of the M.2 card down to the motherboard. I don't know if that tightening screw is already provided on the motherboard even if you haven't purchased the 8265 card from Lenovo.

omajr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,485
Message 3 of 5

@DSperber, thanks a lot for guiding me with docs... I was able to locate and install the card perfectly however as you suspected the motherboard didn't come with the tightening screw (I managed it from old system) and also there are no antennas harness pre-existed either... it works but the speedtest proved its 10times less speed than wired network, so antennas will be a must to a make total use of it.  Most laptops comes with antennas but being its a tiny form factor I wish lenovo prewired the antennas there or at least sell them as accessories specifically for tiny form factors.

Those who planning to buy a new thinkcenter tiny desktops its total worth to add/customize this thing.

thinkguy12
What's DOS?
Views: 2,257
Message 4 of 5

Did you end up buying antennas? I also just purchased the m910q without wifi, but am thinking of adding an 8265 card. Would antennas fit inside the system?
CN7
Punch Card
Views: 487
Message 5 of 5

There is provision to connect an external antenna at the back of the casing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors