10-31-2011

Portland, ME

12 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 1 of 2

M91P SFF Lock Ups

2011-11-08, 18:47 PM

We recently purchased 72 new M91P SFF desktops.  We are running a desktop virtualization, bare metal hypervisor on these computers with an image running an XP image until we upgrade to a Window 7 image in a few weeks.

When we put the first 30 or so into production, we started having random lock ups/freezes.  The computer would completely lock up with no access - no mouse, no keyboard, etc - and the only way out of it was a cold shutdown and reboot.  These lockups could happen overnight, when the computer was in use or when the computer was idle.  They could happen every day or not for ten days.

We have removed our network as the cause by actually pulling the cables.  We have removed our software as a cause by simply not running applications.  We have removed power as an issue by testing outlets.  After some research, we testing changing the C-state settings in the BIOS.  These settings defaulted to C1:C3:C6.  We changed it to C1:C3 and still had lockups.  We then changed it to C1 and it appears that the lockups are no longer happening.

The latter is all fine and good but I am now concerned about the processor running for too long without appropriate cooling down or power usage.  I am also afraid that this lower setting will affect the lifecycle of the processor.

I would be very interested as to whether any one else has run into this issue, how they corrected it, and how they are adjusting for the loss of higher power management.

Thanks!

Options

1 Posts

02-08-2012

madison heights, mi

1 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: M91P SFF Lock Ups

2012-02-08, 20:16 PM

I have the same issue - we purchased about 25 of them and about 5 of them have the same symptoms so far.  Running Windows 7 Pro.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms