Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xoran
Paper Tape
Views: 450
Message 1 of 17

M91p SFF GPU Upgrade Failure

I recently bought a Thinkcentre SFF M91p and tried to install an AMD Radeon HD7570 with NO success.  The machine will not boot.  The CPU and GPU fans spin, but it never boots.  I thought first it might be a power issue, and tried unplugging the CD-ROM drive, which didn't work either.  I then moved to upgrading the BIOS and that also had no effect.  I did find this morning the PCI-e slot in this machine is listed as a 2.0 slot and the HD7570 is spec'd at PCI-e 2.1, so is this card completely incompatible with the M91p I have?

What GPU should I be using that will work straight away, and give me the max performance in this system without having to upgrade the PSU?  

The system specs are as follows

• System type:   M91p, SFF

• System model number: 4518Y4D

• Operating system installed: Win10 Home 64-Bit

• BIOS version: LENOVO 9HKT58AUS, 6/10/2014

Thank you for your help!

SeniorGuru
Views: 414
Message 2 of 17

Re: M91p SFF GPU Upgrade Failure

The M91p is an older machine, as you know.  PCIe 2.0 is a limiting factor, as is the 40W power for that x16 slot. And then you have an SFF machine, which requires a low-profile card.  So you're fighting a big headwind.

I would suggest an AMD HD6450 card like this MSI R6450-2GD3H/LP low-profile fanless card (i.e. 100% silent).  It's an older "budget" card, but is compatible with your PSU and motherboard and SFF case, and  is definitely decent and low-profile.  Not a high-performing card of course, so don't expect miracles.

PCIe 2.0 x16 design, 2GB 64-bit GDDR3 memory, bandwidth 9.2GB/s, 26W TDP.  Max resolution 2560x1600, DVI and HDMI connectors.

Highlighted
xoran
Paper Tape
Views: 409
Message 3 of 17

Thanks. I just ordered this card and it will be here on Saturday and I will update the findings.

SpaceKittens
Serial Port
Views: 383
Message 4 of 17

I'm no Lenovo professional, just bored.

When i try to find the exact readme for model it keeps showing up as a desktop not SFF ( i am having one of those days) .  
Readme for NVIDIA Discrete VGA Driver
 for
m91p type 4158 64bit( desktop is all im finding, im sure someone here can find the exact one for the SFF model). 
I've seen it often suggested to use the cards from these lists.  

You also have to consider your power supply capabilities and finding a card low profile enough that it will fit in the case.  ( I found a few posts in a search that showed people suggest using gt 750 ti in there like this or this). 

Maybe try another search through the forums for your model to see how others went about this.

Best of luck!! 

xoran
Paper Tape
Views: 370
Message 5 of 17

How can that be? My reasearch shows that a 750 ti requires a PCI-e 3.0 slot, but the slot on my machine is a 2.0 slot. 

The HD6450 will be here tomorrow and I’ll see what happens there. 

SpaceKittens
Serial Port
Views: 366
Message 6 of 17

Most modern pci-e 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with pci-e 2.0 slots.  At the moment i'm even running a pci-e 2.0 gpu on a pci-e 3.0 slot (don't judge me lol ). 

I think the pci-e port closet to your core is the only x16 slot.  Refer here page 127 - slot 25 is what you want to use.   

Best luck again though, I hope you get it to work soon! 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 361
Message 7 of 17

@SpaceKittens wrote:

Most modern pci-e 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with pci-e 2.0 slots.  At the moment i'm even running a pci-e 2.0 gpu on a pci-e 3.0 slot (don't judge me lol ). 

Yes, the 750 Ti is known to work in a M91p SFF and Tower (it does need to be one that's short enough, check the length of the slot against the specs for the MSI low-profile.)  As will a GT 1030, which being 2 generations newer is not far from the 750 Ti in terms of performance for half the wattage, and has current gen features, such as 4K HDMI. 

Performance of this caliber 3.0 graphics card in a 2.0 slot isn't an issue:  M92p SFF - Graphics upgrade; PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0, gaming

SeniorGuru
Views: 343
Message 8 of 17

The GTX 750ti card is, today, much more expensive than it originally was, probably because it's not being made any longer I don't believe (now that new generation low-power good performing cards like the GT1030 and GTX 1050ti are available).

There was no budget presented in the OP question, nor was gaming performance stated as a criteria, only what card would work in the 40W PCIe 2.0 slot of the M910p.  But the price of the definitely better performing of GTX 750ti could eliminate it from contention.

I believe the TDP of the 750ti is just under 40W, so it should work in that slot.  But since the slot is PCIe 2.0, the potential performance of the card would obviously be self-reduced from its PCIe 3.0 potential, which in my mind would make its significant cost increase unjustified.  It's just not going to work at its full potential in this machine, although technically it could be called "usable and compatible".

But if you're not gaming, I don't know why the performance of a 750ti would justify its consideration.  If budget and everyday use is what is of interest, and something superior to the built-in onboard graphics of the M91p with its PCIe 2.0 40w limitation, I say give the HD6450 a chance and see if it's acceptable.  I used it in four older desktop machines and it works perfectly fine, as far as their owners are concerned.

Now, I guess  GT 1030 would theoretically work as well, with its 30W TDP.  It also is PCIe 3.0 so it would presumably also drop down to PCIe 2.0 performance when used in the M91p.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 333
Message 9 of 17

Since the OP did ask for the max performance with the existing power supply, I suggest the small price difference between a GT 1030 and a HD 6450 would be worth the cost (even a GT 730 DDR5 would be considerably better):    

UserBenchmark: AMD Radeon HD 6450 vs Nvidia GT 1030

xoran
Paper Tape
Views: 325
Message 10 of 17

Top Kudoed Authors