cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SenthMan
Paper Tape
Views: 132
Message 1 of 5

M91p Tower - Installing additional Hard Drive?

I want to upgrade my older M91p Thinkcentre Tower (big version) which still runs fine for my purposes with an additional hard drive, preferably a 2.5'' SSD to run the Operating System and the main programs.

The M91p came with an optical drive and a primary hard disk drive preinstalled. However, the hard disk drive is attached in a special drive bay / tray to the tower, a sort of chassis which allows easy access. I'm referring to this "hard disk drive cage" and chassis thing with the blue brackets, that allows easy removal of the hard drive.

According to the maintenance manual, there is a specified location to install a secondary hard disk drive (or SSD as in my case). But it assumes that there is another drive bay / tray / chassis present, which is not the case.

(See Maintenance Manual p. 105) http://support.harlander.com/upload-artikelsupport/computer/ibm-lenovo/thinkcentre-m91p/win7-x64/doc...

What is the approach to install an 2.5'' SSD in addition to the existing HDD, when another hard disk drive bay is not being present? Can I just use a generic 3.5'' to 2.5'' adapter to attach an SSD drive in one of the free spaces of the Tower?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 121
Message 2 of 5

Re: M91p Tower - Installing additional Hard Drive?

I have used industrial-strength indoor/outdoor Velco to attach SSDs directly to the inside of the case.  I have not had a situation where they have come loose.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SenthMan
Paper Tape
Views: 118
Message 3 of 5

Okay? I have no idea how this would work?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 108
Message 4 of 5

Pictures, half way down this thread.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SeniorGuru
Views: 101
Message 5 of 5

How about this for an idea:

(1) install your newly intended 2.5" SATA3 SSD into the primary 3.5" bay, with a 2.5-3.5 adapter bracket.  I believe there's a standard Lenovo accessory part in their "tower storage kit" which allows you to do just exactly this.

(2) move the current 3.5" SATA3 HDD spinner primary drive outside of the M91p tower case, to instead be housed in an external enclosure. I recently had to replace a large homebuilt desktop tower machine (with four internal HDD spinners) into a Lenovo M910t (which only has one 3.5" bay), and used this exact approach to relocate two of the four drives in this way.  I opted for connecting the now external drives using eSATA rather than USB, for performance reasons.

(3) To house my now external eSATA-connected drives I purchased two of this very fine OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosure, which supports both eSATA as well as USB 3.0 connection.

(4) To connect both of these eSATA external enclosures and the SATA3 drives inside them to the motherboard of the M910t, I purchased this StarTech 2-port eSATA adapter bracket. Externally you plug an eSATA cable in from the eSATA enclosure/drive.  Inside the case there are two SATA data cable/connectors that you then plug into two available SATA/eSATA controller sockets on the motherboard. The SATA and eSATA sockets are essentially the same, except that eSATA also supports hot-swap of external drives) for this purpose controller sockets on the motherboard.  But otherwise you can use any two open sockets for connection to the two cables running from the StarTech adapter bracket. This also comes in a 1-port version but I went with the 2-port method, which I needed.

Seems like that should work. You now have your current 3.5" SATA3 HDD spinner housed outside the M91p case in an external eSATA enclosure.  And the enclosure is connected via eSATA cable through the StarTech adapter bracket to an available SATA controller socket on the motherboard. 

In its place, inside the primary 3.5" bay, you now have a 2.5" SSD installed with a 2.5-3.5 adapter bracket, and also connected to power as well as a SATA controller socket on the motherboard using the very same power and data cables which prevously were used for the 3.5" HDD spinner you've now moved outside the case.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors