cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leberdj
Paper Tape
Views: 1,644
Message 1 of 5

M91p USFF: uprate external power supply for graphics upgrade (GPU)

Hi. I just purchased a Lenovo Thinkcentre M91p (machine type 0266) which has an external 150w power supply. I purchased it to be used as a HTPC and i want to put a gpu and more ram in it. The problem is the power supply, all the ones i see people talk about have an internal 240w power supply. On the back of the pc is a DC in jack thats directly into the motherboard itself.

I ran some calculations on power usage and the site i used said the recommended power supply size for the standard unit is 150w with a peak load of 123w. Adding the gpu alone pushes the peak load to 140w (nvidia gt730) with a recommended supply of 180w.

My question basically is how can i upgrade an external power supply when all i can find is standard 150w external replacements or internal ones that wont be of any use

Mod:  edited Subject to correct form factor

leberdj
Paper Tape
Views: 1,631
Message 2 of 5

Re: M91p SFF external power supply upgrade

Update: im guessing i could just use any power adapter for other pc's or laptops with 180w or more, it just needs to have the correct ending which is a 6.0x3.0mm connector. I could even possibly use an adapter to make the correct ending. i dont see why this wouldnt work as the power supply is all external
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,614
Message 3 of 5

Just a point of clarification.   A SFF system has an internal power supply and several PCIe slots (same motherboard as a tower.)   What you have is a M91p USFF with the external power brick

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,606
Message 4 of 5

Further, the specs linked to above, list a couple of graphics cards that were options, if the GT 730 uses the same or less power, then you should be fine with standard brick.   (be aware that there are 2 versions of the 730 with different chipsets, and wildly different power requirements, I suggest the DDR5 version also for best performance.)

And whether it can accommodate a dual-width card.  

leberdj
Paper Tape
Views: 1,597
Message 5 of 5

Yeah I found out after I purchased it that there is 3 different models of m91p. The external 150w power supply isn't sufficient enough for any video card. I spoke to the seller not long ago and he told me I can switch over the PC to a hp8200 sff so that fixes all my issues as its a micro atx board with an internal 240w

Thanks for the help

Top Kudoed Authors