Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeniorGuru
Views: 150
Message 21 of 24

Re: M920 SFF - Trying to add M.2 NVMe SSD to PCIe slot

@JCL2 wrote:

The only hiccup this time is the hole that holds the screw that came with the SSD, the hole was too big so the screw was unable to be tightened all the way down to gain any traction with the threads.   Before returning the StarTech, maybe I will visit some computer stores and see if they have a screw that fits the hole.

I spoke with StarTech support about this screwhole. They said there should have been a fastening screw that came with the PEX4M2E1 adapter card. So I'm surprised you say there was none included so that you were trying to use the screw that came with the SSD. They did say they could probably send you out a replacement screw, although they don't actually sell it as a part.

Anyway, they did tell me that the screwhole expects an M3 x 0.5 screw, and that they require 2mm of threading (length). I've looked online and the shortest M3 x 0.5 screw I've found is 5mm in length, or 6mm. That's longer than required but since it simply goes through the 1/2-circle notch at the end of the 2280 SSD card and then through the screwhole in the PEX4M2E1 which is "on its edge" so that extra length to the screw would just protrude a bit out the other side of the StarTech adapter card, seems you could go with say a 5mm screw at worst.

JCL26
Paper Tape
Views: 94
Message 22 of 24

Hi DSperber,

Long time no talk.  I had been away for 2+ weeks.  And somehow I couldn't get back onto the forum due to misplacing the password.... so had to create a new ID linked to a different email account (can't be the same email, yikes).    to cut to the chase, I managed to get StarTech to send me a screw (in a 6"x8"x8" box, no less, filled with air padding).   The problem is the adapter card is just about 2 mm too tall, so it couldn't fit into the small chassis of the SFF, doesn't matter which of the 2 slots I tried, #26 or #28 -- it created a slight bulge so the case would not close.   In a bigger box (like my slightly older PC, a lenovo cruzer), it probably would work wonders.   Thanks for the advice anyway,  I'll stick with my existing configuration -- which works,  and find another way to repurpose the Startech adapter.    

SeniorGuru
Views: 87
Message 23 of 24

@JCL26 wrote:

The problem is the adapter card is just about 2 mm too tall, so it couldn't fit into the small chassis of the SFF, doesn't matter which of the 2 slots I tried, #26 or #28 -- it created a slight bulge so the case would not close.   In a bigger box (like my slightly older PC, a lenovo cruzer), it probably would work wonders.     

Well, now I'm a bit embarrassed. I probably should have known this.

I was building an M910s SFF for a friend, and it was my first introduction to the new MUCH SMALL cases Lenovo was using. Dramatically smaller than the previous generation M900s SFF case (which was much more consistent with all previous generations of case, like for the M93p SFF).  I had purchased a graphics card which I assumed would fit since it worked in the M93p SFF as well as an M800 SFF, and I had also purchased this StarTech M.2-to-PCIe adapter card.

Well first, the graphics card wouldn't fit.  And to make matters worse, neither would this very StarTech card (which I casually recommended to you).  Exact problem you're describing, namely that because of the length of the card and it's height, when the swing-down drive assembly cage mechanism gets swung down it just hits the top edge of the end of the card preventing the cage from coming all the way down and latching locked closed.  Just a bit too long, and just a bit too high.

Now the crazy thing is that this is actually one of the smallest low-profile expansion cards you'll find. I guess there are other "midget" cards which are smaller still, but this StarTech adapter card is really small as far as PCIe expansion cards go. Definitely much smaller than a graphics card.  It's really a shame that Lenovo couldn't have discovered this for themselves, and not shrunken these new cases (especially the new SFF cases) by quite so much.  Just add back another 10 mm in both directions, and now the swing-up/down drive cage would allow "standard" low-profile expansion cards like this one to be used. It's not asking all that much when as it stands now a full 4" were whacked off the depth of the M910s SFF case compared to the M900 SFF case.  Same with the M920s SFF case. Ridiculously small.

Anyway, thankfully the card wasn't all that much money. But I'm really sorry to have made the recommendation in the first place. I wasn't thinking, obviously.

JCL26
Paper Tape
Views: 79
Message 24 of 24

Thankfully, the first "off-brand" adapter card that I bought worked, albeit in only one of the two spots, and I don't really need a graphics card at the moment.     

DSperber, your reputation remains unblemished, all the way back to the days of the AVS Forum where I first came across your posts some 10+ years ago now.   

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors