Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
zemke
Serial Port
Views: 356
Message 1 of 3

M920t M.2 Storage socket - how many PCIe lanes feed it?

I wasn't able to find this in the User/Maintenance guide, or anywhere else.  I presume the M.2 Storage slot on this system isn't fed by just one lane.  That would restrict NVMe SSDs to about the same speed as Sata SSDs.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide or point me to.

SeniorGuru
Views: 330
Message 2 of 3

Re: M920t M.2 Storage socket - how many PCIe lanes feed it?

According to the PSREF for the M920t, it looks like The M.2 2280 connection is PCIe x4.

M920t_M.2_PSREF.jpg

There's an asterisk regarding M.2 2242 of 128GB, but I don't know where that might go on the motherboard or how it is ordered.  But there is advice on that note indicating it is only PCIe x2, not x4.  Perhaps if you buy only a 128GB size M.2 SSD from Lenovo it would maybe come on a smaller 2242 card, and would only be PCIe x2.  If true this suggests you should buy an M.2 SSD of 256GB or larger from Lenovo, which would then be PCIe x4.

The standard M.2 2280 storage connector in the lower-right corner of the motherboard is an off-board connector requiring an additional storage installation plastic adapter that snaps onto the metal chassis at that corner of the motherboard, in order to physically support the off-board projection of an M.2 2280 card that you can order from Lenovo or buy yourself to add later.  Of course if you ordered the M.2 NVMe SSD from Lenovo with our machine it would arrive with that necessary plastic card support adapter pre-installed by the factory.

And that standard M.2 2280 connector for 256GB or larger is clearly PCIe x4, not x2 or x1.

zemke
Serial Port
Views: 320
Message 3 of 3

Re: M920t M.2 Storage socket - how many PCIe lanes feed it?

Thank you!

The 256GB price is reasonable, the 512 GB, much less so. 

I will order my M920t with the Lenovo's 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors