cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
n2diving
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,376
Message 1 of 7

M920x Tiny vs M920q Tiny - What is the fundamental difference?

I am trying to determine the difference between the M920q Tiny and the M920x Tiny base units. The specifications are not clear about the differences, they seem virtually identical with enourmous overlap in their configuration options but they are described as having two different machine types. M920x Machine Type = 10S1 and M920q Machine Type = 10RS. There is so much overlap that it appears to be possible to literally build an M920x and M920q with identical configurations other than the Machine Type.

I suspect the difference is something about the motherboard, but they both use the same Q370 Chipset and have the same Tiny form factor case. The Q version seems to only accept the 35W CPU's (for example the i7-8700T 2.4GHz) and the X version can be configured with the 65W CPU's (for example the i7-8700 3.2GHz). It appears that both can be configured with an adapter that allows use of a low profile PCIe card in place of the various "rear port options". However, the X models list some versions with an add-in PCIe card for the AMD Radeon 560 4GB GPU which are only configured with the 35W CPUs. This leads me to believe the difference may simply be increased power and/or cooling in the X models, but both the Q and X models can be configured with the 135W Power Supply. It's entirely unclear, but I also suspect the X model might have a second M.2 slot for a second SSD stick, because specs for the X mention support for RAID 0/1.

I've spent hours pouring over the available online information. Multiple attempts at direct communication with individuals inside various customer facing Lenovo channels has not provided a satisfactory answer to what would seem to be fairly straight forward question: "What is the fundamental difference between the M920q Tiny models and the M920x Tiny models?" The answers I'm getting are simply regurgitations of the various on-line references that are full of virtually identical details and specific configuration options yet don't explain a 10S1 vs a 10RS; nobody has been able to actually explain the fundamental difference.

Does anyone know the answer?

FYI, these are fast boxes considering their form factor and I'm considering doing a one shot replacement of some fifteen aging large tower Xeon based workstations with M920 models before year end. I've got one M920q i7-8700T I've been able to get my hands on, it benchmarks very well with a few minor tweeks. Start with the the factory 16GB 2666 sodimm together with a very good performing factory M.2 NVMe SSD, and it is in the 90 percentile for Passmark. Replace the single 16GB sodimm with a pair of 3rd party 8GB 3200 sodimms in (because I could) and it gets 98th percentile scores. I doubt it's the increased memory speed, I suspect it's the dual channel that yields the improvement. And that's even with no GPU and poor 3D marks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,338
Message 2 of 7

Re: M920x Tiny vs M920q Tiny - What is the fundamental difference?

From the product spec, it appears that it follows closely in the foot steps of the previous gen 'x' Tiny model, in which case this thread will be of use:  Lenovo M910x Tiny Extreme: RX 460 graphics option, details and avail.

Three things known for sure about the previous gen:  Only the 'x' model supports the addition of discrete graphics, which is not a regular low-profile PCIe graphics card;  it has two M.2 SSD slots (q has one) because the 2.5" drive bay space is used for the graphics card heat sink if/when installed;  it can have discrete graphics or a high-power processor, but not both (I believe this is a limitation of the cooling.)  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 3,305
Message 3 of 7

Higher memory speed does not help in M920q, it is still clocked at 2666 MHz, regardles of speced speed. Tighter default memory latency setings of a module may help, but am not sure if Lenovo HW stuff knows to use it or not.

If you are searching for workstation replacements, best is P330 Tiny (as it is available with a workstation grade GPU):

https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkStation/ThinkStation_P330_Tiny

With P330 Tiny you have an option of Quadro P620 or P1000 graphics. Otherwise it is the same as M920x.

Regarding differences M920q vs M920x answer from 

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

CN7
Punch Card
Views: 3,235
Message 4 of 7

I found this. Not sure if it helps.

M910x -  https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnetcontent.com%2Fsyndication%2Fmediaserverredi...

M920x -  https://cdn.competec.ch/documents/8/1/816562/EN_Leaflet.pdf

• Actual Weight
    2.90 lb(s)
  • Audio
    Audio Output Type: Headphone, Integrated, Speaker(s)
  • Compatibility Notes
    Security chip & features:
    TPM 2.0, TCG certified
    Security slot (in rear for optional Kensington MicroSaver cable)
    Chassis intrusion switch
    Power-on password
    Administrator password
    Hard disk password
    Boot sequence control
    Boot without keyboard and mouse
    Individual USB port disablement
    Smart USB protection, allows keyboard/mouse only, blocks all storage devices
  • Contents
    Tiny desktop, USB keyboard, USB mouse, power adapter, stand, documentation
  • Environmental Standards
    ENERGY STAR Qualified: Yes
    ENERGY STAR Version: 7.0
    EPEAT Compliant: Yes
    EPEAT Level: EPEAT Gold
  • General
    Buying Program: TopSeller
    Chassis Form Factor: Tiny Desktop
    Color: Black
  • General Information
    Audio support:
    Realtek ALC233VB2/optional internal speaker (1.5W or 2W)
  • Memory
    Cache Memory (installed): 12 MB
    RAM (installed): 8 GB
    RAM (max): 32 GB
    RAM Technology: DDR4 SDRAM
  • Memory Notes
    8GB (1x8GB) 2666MHz non-ECC DDR4 SDRAM, upgradeable to 32GB.

There are two 260-pin dual-channel capable SO-DIMM slots. One slot is occupied by a removable 8GB module; the other slot is open.

Video memory: shared system memory with integrated Intel UHD 630 graphics.
  • O/S Notes
    Genuine Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Edition is pre-installed.
  • Operating System
    OS Provided: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Edition
  • Optical Drive Information
    CD/DVD Type: No Optical Drive
  • Physical Dimensions
    1.4"h x 7.1"w x 7.2"d
  • Ports/Connectors
    Expansion slots:
    (1) PCIe 3.0 x8, low-profile
    (3) M.2 (one for WLAN, two for M.2 SSD)

Expansion bays:
    (1) 2.5" bay
    NOTE: 2.5" bay and PCIe expansion card are mutually exclusive.

I/O:
    Front:
    (1) USB 3.1 Gen1 (Always On and fast charge)
    (1) USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C
    (2) 3.5mm audio (microphone, headphone/microphone combo)
    Back:
    (2) USB 3.1 Gen2
    (2) USB 3.1 Gen1
    (1) RJ-45 LAN
    (1) DisplayPort
    (1) HDMI
    (2) Optional ports (open by default)
    (1) Power in
    Additional installed ports:
    (1) HDMI (installed in Optional Port 1)

Optional port support (mutually exclusive with PCIe card):
    Optional Port 1 supports the following possible configurations:
    (1) VGA, or;
    (1) DisplayPort, or;
    (1) HDMI, or;
    (1) Serial, or;
    (1) USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C with DP function
    Optional port 2 supports:
    (1) Serial
    Optional ports supported via PCIe card (sold seperately):
    (2) USB 3.1 Gen1 via PCIe x1
    (4) Serial (9-pin) via PCIe x1
    (1) Thunderbolt 3 (combo USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C/DisplayPort) via PCIe x4

Onboard SATA:
    (1) 6Gbps SATA connector
  • Power Notes
    135W AC/DC adapter, auto-sensing, 88% efficient
  • Processor
    # Processors Installed: 1
    # Processors Supported: 1
    Chipset Type: Intel Q370
    Data Bus Speed: 2666 MHz
    Number of Cores: 6-core
    Processor Features: Intel Turbo Boost Technology, Intel vPro Technology
    Processor Generation: 8
    Processor Manufacturer: Intel
    Processor Model Number: 8700
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Processor Speed (Boosted): 4.60 GHz
    Processor Type: Core i7
  • Protocols
    Networking Protocol: Bluetooth 5.0, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11ac
  • Returns Policy
    This product is subject to our return policy. Please see our complete return policy for details.
  • Standards
    Compliant Standards: Energy Star 7.0, EPEAT Gold, ErP Lot 3, MIL-STD-810G, RoHS, TUV
  • Storage
    Hard Drive Capacity: 1 TB
    Hard Drive Interface: M.2, PCI Express
    Hard Drive Type: OPAL, Removable, Solid State Drive
  • UNSPSC
  • Video
    External Resolution (max): 4096 x 2304
    Video Card: Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • Warranty - Labor
    3 Years
  • Warranty - Parts
    3 Years
  • Warranty Details
    Warranty includes onsite service.
PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 1,747
Message 5 of 7

I'm having the same problem with getting information from Lenovo reps. 

I'm lookinag at the P330 where i have to get a GPU, and the M920, but they are OVER DOUBLE THE PRICE. What gives??

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,718
Message 6 of 7

The Quadro cards of the P330 are *expensive* compared regular gaming cards (and provide processing gains for design/creating that are not matched with gaming cards), and the Intel Xeon processors are more expensive than regular Core processors.   More expensive components, plus the lower relative volume of the completed ThinkStation systems, contributes to the higher prices. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 1,700
Message 7 of 7

How does that explain the doubling of the price for the same components between the models P330 and M920 especially that the M920 does NOT have the GPU? The market price for a Quadro 620 is about $200.

Also, none of these (Tiny) offer the Xeon.

How are the same exact components priced at double? Same CPU, same RAM, same NVME disk... There's some BIG PIECE of information missing, or simply, there's NO REASON and they're just jacking up the price for profit.

I can spec out a P330 WITH the Quadro 620, throw the GPU out the window, and i'm still spending less than 50% than I would with one of the M920's (again, speaking of TINY). SAME EXACT CUSTOMIZATION. AND, i get 3 years warranty.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors