Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWBlue
Serial Port
Views: 11,576
Message 1 of 12

M92Z : Micro hard drive option > 2.5" 64GB SSD mSATA Hard Drive

The "Help Me decide" link says the following : 

Boost your notebook's performance by up to 5x that of a standard 5400RPM drive alone.

The Micro Solid State Drive (SSD) works in tandem with your PC's standard hard disk drive (HDD) to deliver both the storage capacity of a HDD and the snippy responsiveness of a solid state drive — all at a cost significantly lower than standalone SSD notebook models.

The 64GB Micro SSD occupies the notebook's PCIe Mini Card slot.

With a micro solid state drive, will my computer still boot faster than a regular plate drive?  What about compared to a SATA SSD?

?

Will the operating system be loaded on the Micro Solid State Drive when the system is delivered?

Edit : A Lenovo rep just told me the following :

"With the Micro SSD drive your system will boot up a lot faster-very similar to having an SSD drive.   

The OS however is not loaded on the drive however a lot of the loading files are which helps the system to boot up faster."

Now another Lenovo customer service rep is telling me something different.  Not surprising. 

He says getting the SSD will not improve boot time.  

Why do people make up answers?

Who is correct?  Why wouldn't they just install the OS on the SSD?  64GB should be enough.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 11,539
Message 2 of 12

Re: M92Z : Micro hard drive option > 2.5" 64GB SSD mSATA Hard Drive

I got the M92z 23 inch AIO with Touchscreen recently (well i am using it right now). 

-> mSATA -> basically a SSD that fits into the mPCIe slot. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60081959@N04/7782185634/  <-- this is the mSATA i took out of mine M92z AIO. 

Operating system won't be loaded onto the mSATA from the factory, but you can do it yourself using aftermarket Win 7 ISO. 

The reason why OS is not installed on the mSATA is due to space restriction, with the recovery partition and the OS + drivers installed it is already 40 gigs gone from the 60 gigs mSATA, which makes it useless as a main drive. 

Lenovo m92z uses the mSATA as a cache drive for the main hdd, it does boot faster if optimised properly. But it is never going to be as fast running the OS from the mSATA or from the SSD installed into the system. 

If you don't use the optical drive, i suggest you get an aftermarket ultrabay adapter (12.7 mm thick) and install a ssd into that slot, i am planning to do it. 

Alternatively, go and get a really big mSATA SSD like 128 gigs or 256 gigs mSATA, and install the OS on that. The 64 gigs mSATA shipped M92z is too small, unless you choose to install only the OS on the mSATA, and all the applications on the main hdd. 

The only reason i got my M92z with the 64 gigs Samsung mSATA was the fact that it was only a 10 dollars add on (a pricing error). 

Here is the internal layout of the M92z AIO, if you haven't seen it already. Also, make sure to get the ExpressCard slot option, it is something you may want if you want to do Vidock 4 or eGPU setup. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60081959@N04/7785977234/  

the mSATA is located on the top right (just above the empty dimm slot in the picture). 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
JWBlue
Serial Port
Views: 11,529
Message 3 of 12

@lead_org wrote:

I got the M92z 23 inch AIO with Touchscreen recently (well i am using it right now). 

-> mSATA -> basically a SSD that fits into the mPCIe slot. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60081959@N04/7782185634/  <-- this is the mSATA i took out of mine M92z AIO. 

Operating system won't be loaded onto the mSATA from the factory, but you can do it yourself using aftermarket Win 7 ISO. 

The reason why OS is not installed on the mSATA is due to space restriction, with the recovery partition and the OS + drivers installed it is already 40 gigs gone from the 60 gigs mSATA, which makes it useless as a main drive. 

Lenovo m92z uses the mSATA as a cache drive for the main hdd, it does boot faster if optimised properly. But it is never going to be as fast running the OS from the mSATA or from the SSD installed into the system. 

If you don't use the optical drive, i suggest you get an aftermarket ultrabay adapter (12.7 mm thick) and install a ssd into that slot, i am planning to do it. 

Alternatively, go and get a really big mSATA SSD like 128 gigs or 256 gigs mSATA, and install the OS on that. The 64 gigs mSATA shipped M92z is too small, unless you choose to install only the OS on the mSATA, and all the applications on the main hdd. 

An M92Z owner.  Perfect.

A couple of questions.

I pretty much do everything through Chrome (surf the net, Google Docs).  Installing only the OS on the mSATA SSD is what I would consider.  Is that difficult for a novice?

Gussing, appromiately how much faster would Windows boot if I added the mSATA SSD as an option and left the OS on the HDD compared to a system without the SSD?

Would the system come out of hibernation faster if I got the mSATA SSD?

Views: 11,520
Message 4 of 12

installing on the mSATA is like doing it through normal hdd, so as long as you are up to date with that then you should be okay.

regarding the boot speed with a mSATA as an expresscache device, depends on how many programs you have during startup. Usually from my own test, it can half the boot up time.

Startup from hibernation will also be faster, but the improvement in speed won't be as dramatic.

If you are worried about speed, then get the mSATA from aftermarket, Crucial, ADATA, Samsung, Intel, etc all make mSATA drives.
Regards,

Jin Li

JWBlue
Serial Port
Views: 11,470
Message 5 of 12

Thank you.

So how do you like the machine?

Views: 11,460
Message 6 of 12

great machine, super quite... but the touch feature is pretty useless, and creates a cloudy appearance on the screen (as the result of the touch sensor layer).

I liked this more than my old m90z AIO, especially due to the fact that it has a DP in rather than the VGA in. But design wise, nothing really have changed all that much from m90z to the m92z.

Also, the M92z comes provisioned with 2 USB 3.0 ports, so i can use my ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock to do 4 screens support (but i am currently on 3 screens). 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60081959@N04/7887669346/   <-- here is the ThinkCentre M92z with two Dell LCD, one of them runs through the native displayport on the machine, while the other is supported through a Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock connected to the USB 3.0 port on the ThinkCentre. 

Regards,

Jin Li

IBMWiki
Paper Tape
Views: 9,995
Message 7 of 12

The information you have shared with us is great. It seems like M92z has made lots of changes, especially for the external monitor connections. 

Thank you for the pictures you shared on the flickr. Those give me ideas about the upgrade I can make for my machine which is on the way now.

I have two questions and would like to have your suggestions.

1. May I know where is the Express slot. I bought the machine from OUTLET and not sure if it has such a slot.

2. Do you know how the 7650 Video Card looks like? This card is advertized by Lenovo in the specification list but the option is still not avalible in the on-line store configuration.

I guess when you have windows 8 installed. The multi-touch screen will be lots of fun.

Thanks!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 9,960
Message 8 of 12

1) Expresscard slot for those that is shipped with one (you can opt for not having one when buying them new) is under the multicard slot.

2) The ATI 7650 is soldered directly to the motherboard, it is not a removable graphics card. Not all country have the ATI 7650 option, in Australia it was not an option.
Regards,

Jin Li

IBMWiki
Paper Tape
Views: 9,876
Message 9 of 12

Thank you for the valuable information.

Just one more question. May I know the version of the msata? Is it a SATA III interface?

Thanks!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 9,872
Message 10 of 12

the 64 gigs Samsung mSATA included with my M92z is SATAIII, i haven't tested the transfer speed my M92z, but from online specs about the intel chipset it looks like a SATAIII mSATA slot.
Regards,

Jin Li

Top Kudoed Authors