Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
fafa341
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,832
Message 1 of 18

M92p: Memory upgrade (ram, dual channel, 8 GB dimm)

Hello!,I had a question and was wondering if you can help me out. 
I have 1x4 1333mhz in DIMM2 and 1x2 1333mhz in DIMM3. And wanted 8 more ram upgrade, should I buy a 1x8 1333mhz and replace it with the (1x2 dimm3) and leave the 1x4 in dimm2 and the 1x8 in dimm3 to have 12gb? or its better to buy 2x4 ? and where should I connect everyhing? Also does my mobo supports 12 ram and does it support 8 ram in one slot?

LENOVO 9SKT63AUS
Lenovo Thinkcentre m series. MT-M 2992-E5U

Mod:  added system type & relevant details to Subject line

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,785
Message 2 of 18

Re: Ram upgrade

I believe your model 2992 machine is an M92p Tower.  Information about it and how to do hardware upgrades are found in the M82p/M92p Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) under the sections for model 2992.

Specifically regarding memory upgrades, from the HMM:

M92p_memory-2.jpg

The motherboard schematic on page 75 shows the four DIMM slots and their numbers:

M92p_memory-1.jpg

You can physically use "unmatched" memory sizes in the four DIMM slots and the machine BIOS will figure it out and use whatever memory you have in "single channel" mode.  But for ideal optimal memory performance (i.e. "dual channel" mode which typically is 10-15% faster than "single channel" mode), you should always use "matched pairs" (i.e. same size and same speed) of memory sticks, either 2 at a time or all 4 at a time, using either one or both corresponding "matched pair" of DIMM slots.

In particular, DIMM slots 2 and 4 are the first "matched pair" you should ideally populate first with a matched "kit" (i.e. same size and speed) pair of your first 2 memory sticks.  If you want to add additional memory you can add a second matched "kit" pair of 2 memory sticks into the second "matched pair" of DIMM slots, i.e. 1 and 3.

How to fill the four DIMM slots ideally is shown in the HMM:

M92p-memory-3.jpg

The HMM clearly states that the largest single memory stick you can use in any DIMM slot is 8GB.  So you can have up to a maximum of four of these 8GB memory sticks for a maximum of 32GB.  Or, you can have less memory, but again you should always use "matched pairs" (typically purchased as a "kit" of 2 sticks of the identical size and speed) to populate DIMM slots 2/4 first, and optionally also populate DIMM slots 1/3 second.

The Crucial Memory Advisor shows guaranteed compatible memory options for the M92p Tower as DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V.   And in fact you can even go faster, with DDR3 PC3-14900 • CL=13 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.35V.  These are guaranteed by Crucial to work in your M92p.

You said you currently have DDR3-1333 memory sticks (which, by the way, seem to be placed in a non-matched pair of DIMM slots 2 and 3, although their different sizes already eliminates the ability to get "dual channel" mode).  You can "mix" the speeds and sizes and keep your current DDR3-1333 and buy new DDR3-1600/1866 if you want, but the BIOS will slow down the performance of the new faster memory to match that of the slower memory you're also using.  That's just how it works when you don't use "matched pairs" of memory sticks in corresponding "matched pairs" of DIMM slots, all of which have the same speed.

So if you want to upgrade optimally, you might go with re-populating the DIMM slots with "matched pairs" of whatever you want in the faster DDR3-1600/1866 variety... up to 4x8GB=32GB which is the max allowed configuration.  If you do retain the 1x4GB and 1x2GB DDR3-1333 memory you currently have and add another 4GB or 8GB, you're not getting optimal memory performance or size as you will still be running in "single channel" mode and at the slower DDR3-1333 speed.

Just keep in mind that ideally you should populate DIMM slots 2/4 first if you go with just two new memory cards (of the same size).  And then move on to DIMM slots 1/3 if you want to add two more new memory cards (of the same size, which can be different than the size of the first pair in slots 2/4).

Depending on your budget of course, my own upgrade path recommendation would be to completely replace the two sticks you currently have (currently adding up to 6GB) with a new 2x8GB=16GB (of either DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866 speed), in order to get the benefits of (a) "dual channel" mode, (b) faster memory than your current DDR-1333 memory running in "single channel" mode, and (c) 16GB instead of 6GB or 8GB or 12GB, and only using two DIMM slots.

Personally I don't think upgrading to replace your existing 1x4GB + 1x2GB = 6GB setup with 2x4GB=8GB instead is a sufficiently improved performance upgrade to justify wasting your time or expense.  And honestly I don't see retaining your two existing small and slow memory sticks as advisable, since that will slow down any new faster memory you might add.  Naturally it depends on budget, but I'd go with at least the 2x8GB=16GB (of either DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866) "dual-channel" DIMM slots 2/4 arrangement completely replacing your existing two DDR3-1333 memory sticks result, rather than adding to your existing slow memory sticks.  And then you still have an option to populate the other two DIMM slots 1/3 with yet another "matched pair" of memory sticks at some time in the future, if you ever want to upgrade past 16GB.

fafa341
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,760
Message 3 of 18

Do you think using single channel by adding 2x4 and leaving the 1x4 I had =12gb ram isnt that good?
Because I dont think 16gb is neccessary and is very expensive I would rather have 3x4 1333mhz ddr3, but do you think having 12ram that way is good enough??

fafa341
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,753
Message 4 of 18

Will this ram fit?

Hello I have a Lenovo M92p Tower, and I wanted to upgrade my ram.

I was thinking to buy this one : https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-pro-series-2-pack-16gb-ddr3-dimm-desktop-memory-kit-m...

Will this fit and function?

Mod:  please keep related questions in the same thread, and avoid fragmenting the forum.  Thx. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,734
Message 5 of 18

Objectively, single-channel mode performance is slightly slower than dual-channel performance.  Would you ever as a human be able to really tell the difference?  Probably not.  Would objective benchmark tests prove that dual-channel is somewhat faster?  Unquestionably.  Would it really make a difference to you, with an older M92p?  Probably not.

That said, you might as well just remain in single-channel mode as you currently are with what I believe you said was currently a total of 6GB of memory (i.e. 1x4GB in DIMM2 and 1x2GB in DIMM3).  You are not running in dual-channel mode and you never will unless you replace things with strictly "matched pairs" of new memory sticks.

So, if you really just want to increase the memory in your M92p, just go ahead and increase the memory by using one or both of the remaining two currently unused DIMM sockets DIMM1 and DIMM4.  You will end up with a total memory size of whatever is the new total of all 3 or 4 memory sticks in the four DIMM sockets, but running in single-channel mode just like you currently are.  You can buy and install one or two new 1x2GB, 1x4GB or 1x8GB memory stick(s), put them in DIMM1 and DIMM4, and thus just add their size to your current 6GB.  You'll end up with whatever you end up with, so if 12GB is all you want to reach then that is your best single-channel result.

Or, if you think you don't want to go past 12GB then you can accomplish that same total with better dual-channel performance by simply acquiring one more 1x4GB and one more 1x2GB DDR3-1333 memory, which will match your current two memory sticks.  Then you simply rearrange what you have and what you just bought, but this time installing them properly in the four available DIMM sockets in order to achieve dual-channel mode while still remaining economical and cost effective since you don't feel a justification to go beyond 12GB total from the current 6GB total.

So, as prescribed by the DIMM usage chart from the HMM that I posted earlier, you would re-populate the four DIMM sockets with your now four memory cards as follows:

DIMM2 - existing 1x4GB

DIMM4 - new 1x4GB

DIMM1 - existing 1x2GB

DIMM3 - new 1x2GB

This would give you a memory upgrade from current 6GB to a new total of 12GB, and also performing in the superior dual-channel mode.  And all you would have purchased is two new smaller cards, 1x4GB and 1x2GB, matching the same size and speed of your current slower DDR3-1333 two memory sticks.

Best possible result for the least cost, subject to acceptable limitations of (a) slowest DDR3-1333 memory instead of upgrading to faster DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866, and (b) only 12GB memory instead of possibly 16GB or even larger.

You haven't said if you're running Win7 or Win10 on your M92p (though it's probably Win7).  But in either case, you will get a very nice performance improvement from upgrading your current 6GB of memory to even just 12GB, even if still single-channel mode.  But if you can go to that 12GB and rearrange the "matched pair" (old/new) memory sticks into the proper "matched pairs" of DIMM sockets in order to achieve dual-channel, you will really have made the best possible upgrade achievable with minimal investment.

fafa341
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,729
Message 6 of 18

I will choose to upgrade 2x8 and replace everything.
But im not sure if my choice will work.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-pro-series-2-pack-16gb-ddr3-dimm-desktop-memory-kit-m...
Can you please tell me if this is compatible?
SeniorGuru
Views: 5,732
Message 7 of 18

Re: Will this ram fit?

@fafa341 wrote:

I was thinking to buy this one : https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-pro-series-2-pack-16gb-ddr3-dimm-desktop-memory-kit-m...

Will this fit and function?

Mod:  please keep related questions in the same thread, and avoid fragmenting the forum.  Thx. 

Yes, that 2x8GB=16GB Corsair DDR3-1600 memory looks compatible with the M92p.  And it's faster than your existing mismatched 1x4GB and 1x2GB DDR3-1333 memory.

You earlier said that an upgrade to 12GB of slower DDR3-1333 memory was "sufficient", so an upgrade to 16GB of DDR3-1600 faster memory surely has to be better.

To make it even better, here's 16GB of faster Corsair memory at a very good price.

If (and I'm not recommending this) you choose to retain your existing 6GB of slower memory as well, then adding 16GB of new faster memory will not give you the real performance benefit you might otherwise achieve. Instead you will see the BIOS simply slow down the potentially faster new 16GB of Corsair memory to match the slower speed of your old existing 6GB memory.  I'm not recommending this approach

So, if you simply went with this 2x8GB=16GB of new Corsair memory (which is even better than limiting yourself to 12GB) I would just throw out your existing two small slower DDR3-1333 cards.  You won't get any real additional benefit from keeping your existing 6GB of memory for a total new size of 22GB, and you will really be hurting yourself because of the slower DDR3-1333 speed that will be forced onto your new potentially faster Corsair memory.

So, best approach: install the two new matched faster larger Corsair memory cards into DIMM2 and DIMM4, and give yourself a nice upgrade to 16GB of DDR3-1600 memory running in dual-channel mode.  Throw away your current two memory sticks and just leave DIMM1 and DIMM3 open.

fafa341
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,726
Message 8 of 18

Thank you Smiley Happy
SeniorGuru
Views: 5,717
Message 9 of 18

@fafa341 wrote:
Thank you Smiley Happy

Note that this is the very approach I recommended in my initial post above (i.e. message #2), where I had mentioned the Crucial Memory web site:

Depending on your budget of course, my own upgrade path recommendation would be to completely replace the two sticks you currently have (currently adding up to 6GB) with a new 2x8GB=16GB (of either DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866 speed), in order to get the benefits of (a) "dual channel" mode, (b) faster memory than your current DDR-1333 memory running in "single channel" mode, and (c) 16GB instead of 6GB or 8GB or 12GB, and only using two DIMM slots.

Your shopping has discovered a very good "sale" price for the 2x8GB Corsair memory, giving you a better deal than the Crucial Memory price for similar memory sticks.  In either case I was definitely suggesting that you simply completely replace what you have now, thus accomplishing an upgrade from current 6GB to a new 16GB.

And in the process you are also improving the memory speed from current DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1600.

And finally, by using a "matched pair" (same size and speed) of two memory sticks properly populating the "matched pair" of DIMM sockets (i.e. DIMM2 and DIMM4) you would also be improving memory performance from "single channel" mode to "dual channel" mode, for yet another 10-15% speed improvement.

No matter whether you're running Win7 or Win10, you will almost certainly be able to "sense" the benefits of the upgrade.

fafa341
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,671
Message 10 of 18

As said in your response: 1.35V recommended ram and the ram im interested says its 1.5V. Does that matter? Will it end up working?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors