Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Impresivearc
Paper Tape
Views: 12,632
Message 1 of 9

M92p SFF - Graphics upgrade; PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0, gaming

Hi,

I've been considering buying a new GPU for my M92p SFF, 2988-E2U.

I currently have 1GB 620 GT nvidia GPU & I would like to upgrade to a 2GB GPU. 

i7-3770 Cpu 3.4GHz

Windows 10

16GB DDR3 RAM

1T HD

PSU - 240 Watt

I need professional assistance on :

- Can i find 2GB GPU to use on this current system @ 240w ?

- If not, would i need to change my PSU ? And where do i buy such a unit ? What's it called ?

[It's for gaming]

Mod:  edited title for clarity

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,586
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p 2988-E2U [Video card upgrade] !!

The GTX 750 Ti could work with a SFF M92p.   Upgrade to the latest BIOS beforehand, CD ISO method is most reliable.   Check that there aren't any taller heatsinks on the motherboard that could interfere with the graphics card (refer to photos of the card.)   

Since your system is older, to ensure the necessary airflow, clean the front air intake and fan with vacuum and canned compressed air, jam the fan with a cable tie or similar so it can't spin and over-speed.  Same for CPU fan and heat sink, and vac the intake and rear exhaust of the power supply.  

I can confirm that this MSI brand low-profile  GTX 750 Ti 2GB  card works perfectly in my M93p SFF machine without upgrading the PSU:   MSI N750-Ti-2GD5TLP

Measuring the power draw running Prime95 (CPU benchmark) , FurMark (GPU benchmark) , charging mobile phone via USB and copying large files at the same time , it stays below 190W.   Have been running this for several hours. I have also been playing Fallout 4 (FullHD, ultra textures, 60 FPS) for 100 hours without any problems.   As the case is quite compact, I was worried about the temperature but it stays below 80C for the GPU at full power over extended periods of time (about 25C ambient temp in the room). 

Installation is ok. Just mount the low profile bracket and move the PCIe 1x WiFi card (if you have one) into another slot.  Preferably leave an empty slot next to the graphics card.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Impresivearc
Paper Tape
Views: 12,505
Message 3 of 9

Hi, i appologize for the late reply.

I'm going to look into this component, it seems really interesting and exactly what i'm looking for. I appreciate the detailed information you have provided and the quality of the material also looks outstanding & it's nvidia.

Thank you very much sir.

Highlighted
shadowlight
Punch Card
Views: 12,405
Message 4 of 9

Short question: did you had success?

The slot is specified as PCIe 2.0 and the card as PCIe 3.0 so it might work with reduced speed...

(I am considering to doing the same with my 3227-A1G and a MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti-2GD5TLP)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,386
Message 5 of 9

@shadowlight wrote:

The slot is specified as PCIe 2.0 and the card as PCIe 3.0 so it might work with reduced speed...

I have a gtx 750 Ti working with PCIe 2.0 in my M91p, and it doesn't affect the performance of the card:

Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance

"Conclusion:  Our testing has pretty clearly shown that for gaming using either PCI-E 2.0 or PCI-E 3.0 will give you nearly identical performance."

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
shadowlight
Punch Card
Views: 12,375
Message 6 of 9

Interesting article - didn't know that!

Thank you very much for your answer!

elliottsam
What's DOS?
Views: 11,801
Message 7 of 9

I have just bought a second hand Lenovo m92p Thinkcentre with a i5 3470 3.2ghz and 20gb DDR3 Ram. My original plan was to install a GPU capable of gaming. I didnt initially realise it was SFF but having discovered this is was going to buy a new case a psu, however to save myself time effort and money I have opted for the low profile GTX 750ti which reportedly runs fine on the 240W power supply (and PCIe 2.0).

If you wanted to upgrade the PSU you need a 14 - 24 pin adapter see thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/M92p-Tower-PSU-Options/td-p/1226169/page/4

Thanks for the advice,

I will have an update when the card is installed a working (Hopefully).

Impresivearc
Paper Tape
Views: 10,994
Message 8 of 9

Yes, It works like a charm =), I've played many games at full settings, ranging from 1080p - 720p with a 43" HD TV (details) !!
Shonver
Paper Tape
Views: 7,402
Message 9 of 9

Hi

Just curious that you say you are using 20GB of RAM. The specs say that the model supports up to 16GB. Are you realising the full 20GB? Would like to know, since I just got the same PC.

TIA

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors