cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samson80
Paper Tape
Views: 255
Message 1 of 7

M92p (tiny) - BIOS setup, Lenovo splashscreen, F12 boot prompt, ... only via VGA port

Hi,

I just purchased an M92p Tiny for playing around a little bit with it, because I like the form factor.

I got the pretty maxed out spec machine (i5 CPU, 8gb RAM, I put in my 500gb Samsung SSD, 2 x Display Ports, 1 VGA, I added a brand new mPCIe WiFi/Bluetooth card, ...).

I installed Windows 10 Pro and XUbuntu as dualboot via UEFI and it works fine.

By the way I also upgraded the machine with the latest BIOS firmware from the Lenovo support page.

What bothers me:

- I configured in BIOS a slower Lenvo splashscreen, but still it passes by pretty fast <2-3 seconds I believe -- but ok, I can live with that, but would like to see a bit more relevant and interesting information than just a splashscreen

- I can ONLY see the boot splashscreen and F1 BIOS setup and F12 boot device prompt via VGA port (I played around with the configuration in BIOS auto/IGP without any effects - and multi-monitor option doesn't exist as stated in some other posts)

- Once boot procedure is done, and the OS is switching graphics mode (Win10 or Xubuntu login screen in Xorg) then it switches to DisplayPort.

How can I enforce the usage of the Display Port all the time from the beginning? I don't want to use the VGA port at all, but I want to have the option to see the F12 boot device prompt and maybe go to the BIOS setup via DisplayPort from time to time.

Hope you guys can help me, thanks in advance!!!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 242
Message 2 of 7

Re: M92p (tiny) - BIOS setup, Lenovo splashscreen, F12 boot prompt, ... only via VGA port

When the system is booting up it detects hardware, so my guess is that if you have something attached via VGA, it must be attempting to uses that first.    

The Auto, IEG, PEG or PCIe setting should be irrelevant since you are using the onboard graphics so I would leave it set to Auto.

If the Startup Device Menu Prompt is enabled under the Startup tab in the BIOS, you should see the F12 option regardless of it being attached by display port. but even if it is not shown, tapping F12 right after turning on the system (or right after the keyboard lights flash) should still work.

Kind of odd that it only affects Display port though.

Samson80
Paper Tape
Views: 235
Message 3 of 7

Re: M92p (tiny) - BIOS setup, Lenovo splashscreen, F12 boot prompt, ... only via VGA port

For the purpose of still setting up the device I have it attached to VGA and DisplayPort (attached to two monitors).

When I detach one of my monitors from the VGA port, but I just leave only one monitor attached at DisplayPort, then

- I don't see the Lenovo splashscreen

- I don't see the BIOS setup (but I can enter it with F1 without seeing it - black screen on DP)

- I don't see the F12 device prompt

It seems the DP is getting activated by the operating system when it switches graphics mode or initializes the graphics card with the Intel drivers (Intel HD Graphics 2500) or something like that.

I could live with that, but would be nice to see all the boot procedures on DP. Don't want to have a VGA cable laying around next to my m92p Tiny.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 215
Message 4 of 7

What brand of monitor are you using?

Try toggling CSM from on to off in the BIOS too.

Samson80
Paper Tape
Views: 207
Message 5 of 7

Monitor 1: 4k iiyama B2888UHSU-B1 (DP, HDMI, VGA)

Monitor 2: 4k Samsung U28E590D (DP, HDMI)

I'll try the CSM settings later, will let you know if that works.

Samson80
Paper Tape
Views: 189
Message 6 of 7

I already had CSM turned off. Tried to turn it on again, but still same behavior. I'll keep it off for now as the dualboot OS's boot up fine.

Samson80
Paper Tape
Views: 169
Message 7 of 7

I ordered 2 x Displayport to HDMI converters last week on Amazon, because I'm already using the DP on my main desktop PC and wanted to use both Displayports on my m92p Tiny and convert them into more usable HDMI outputs. They arrived today and I noticed following:

- Lenovo boot splashscreen still not visible (only via VGA)

- When GRUB2/EFI loads, it will appear after ca. 3 seconds via the DP-->HDMI converter (my GRUB setting times out after 10 seconds and boots to my default entry, so I have like approx. 7 seconds to react)

- When I have my VGA cable and the DP-->HDMI converter attached to 2 monitors, then I also noticed the PXE search during the bootscreen shows up on VGA, I didn't see that before - not even if I have just a VGA cable attached.

My assumption is, that the HDMI protocol/handshake somehow initializes via a high signal on some pin and due to the converter I bought this signal is passed into the DP port on the M92p and then it makes it active.

I'm planning to use the DP-->HDMI converter anyways, so for me this seems to fix it. But in the aftertaste it seems to me like a hardware-workaround-hack :-) I also assume there is a bug in the BIOS firmware. When I bought it there was a BIOS firmware from 2012 installed which had the same issues, but I upgraded it to the latest 2018 version.

For those having the same issue and who is interested, I bought following converter on Amazon: Rankie DisplayPort (DP) to HDMI Adapter, 4K Resolution Ready Converter

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors