cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neumann
What's DOS?
Views: 6,239
Message 1 of 37

M93Z AIO fan noise is terrible ; help please!

We got in office new AIO ThinCenre M93Z. When turning on the PC, there is no noise at all; however after working 2 hours, the noise of fan drives everybody in room crazy. It not so loud, however it sounds like wind around the blocks in autumn and the noise is not at same frequence but always going up and down, depending on speed of fan.
We already checked internet for ours, nothing helped. The CPU temperature is about 40 degree celcius. The tool fanspeed cannot detect the fan, in bios we already put to "acoustic" (sounds like a joke for this setting).

We would be so happy if anybody could help! For Thinkpads, there are special tools for fan control; however there seems to be nothing for Thinkcenter AIO PCs. If it would be a private PC - no problem to open the case, put better fan inside; however it is new brand new PC from company and we cannot do hardware modifications.

Quitsh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,112
Message 2 of 37

Re: M93Z AIO fan noise is terrible ; help please!

Hi there,

I also bought a Lenovo M93z and the fan drives me crazy.

It's a privat computer and I've opened it. But there is nothing you can do.

I also tried the program Fanspeed. But the same problem. It can't find my moherboard.

Throughout the internet I found nothing exept following information:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_NZ/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT081544&rd=news

The problem for me, I don't know if I really can use this bios. When I search through the driver update page. I doesn't show me the same bios. I'm using at the moment the version "FEKT80A".

Could you please tell me if you could solve the problem?

Thank you very much

gpuri
What's DOS?
Views: 6,035
Message 3 of 37

I have the same issue. The fan gives this terible howling sound. It is more annoying when things are quite around. I have to play contstant music to mask it.

Quitsh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,023
Message 4 of 37

Hi gpuri,

Lenovo came and changed in 2 steps almost everything: motherboard, fan, and a termperature sensor what is directly located behind the power supply.

Now I have installed also a SSD harddisc.

But the noise is still there. Like a windstorm what is passing you.

Drives you mad!

When I have time, I alocate the temperature sensor to see if it helps.

More I can't help

bkb
Punch Card
Views: 5,944
Message 5 of 37

Hello there
Our company is also having problem with newly ordered Thicenter M93z. MTM: 10AE-A0B600.
The PC's are great for now, performance and design.

ONLY problem is the fan sound!
It's quite loud, and is changing from 10-40% percent during to reguraly office work.
I noticed in BIOS you can adjust it via some ICE settings (acoustic, performance or full speed of fan).
It's on acoustic and the sound of fan changing its speed is still horibble.
In my experience somewhere around 60-70 dB, which is quiet high for office work.

I see that the other M93 series is having problems with this.
So any solution?

Our company has more then 250 pieces of M90z and M91z, and they are work the way they suppose to work - quiet.

Regards

bkb
Punch Card
Views: 5,901
Message 6 of 37

Anyone
gpuri
What's DOS?
Views: 5,893
Message 7 of 37

I even got the fan replaced by Lenovo but the issue stays the same.

Quitsh
Paper Tape
Views: 5,888
Message 8 of 37

Hi there

I'm going to sell my one. This noise drives me crazy!

And I couldn't resolve the problem.

Yesterday I figured out, that it hasn't to do with the temperature.

It's stays around 41°C and even it doesn't get hotter, the fan starts to turn up and down the whole time.

It's the first Lenovo Computer of me what makes troubles. 

Neumann
What's DOS?
Views: 5,874
Message 9 of 37

Dear all,

In the meantime, I found "kind" of solution. I do NOT advice to follow this solution and I am NOT responsible for any subsequent damages, lost of warrenty or incorrect function!  

OK, takes 5 minutes to fix:

1.) Open the case by moving the two buttons on bottom of case (no screw drivers required).

2.) On right side of fan housing, there is a black cable with heat sensor at the end. It is just fixed with plastic bracket. Release this cabel / sensor carefully from bracket, as well the rest of cable until jack to motherboard.

3.) On bottom of case, you will find two holes, covered with rubber button. Remove one of these, guide the cable inside pc housing until the hole and let the sensor stick out the hole for some milimeters

4.) Refit the cover / pc housing, be carefule that cable is not squeezed or damaged. 

That's all. Fan is still working continously and strong; however without making noise up and down. Setup some temperature tool for monitoring. During tests and protocols, not yet reached temperature higher than 56^ Celcius / 132 F. 

Test if the heat sensor is still working! Put your finger on heat sensor and ten sesconds later you must hear the old sough sound.

As mentioned clearly: DO NOT FOLLOW THIS SOLUTION, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES AND CLAIMS.

Quitsh
Paper Tape
Views: 5,854
Message 10 of 37

Hi Neumann,

great idea you had. I wanted to do the same and now I did.

The problem has definitely to do with this thermal sensor.

Lenovo has fixed it right behind the power supply. And it looks that this influence the sensor badly.

So I didn't released the whole cable. Just released the top of the sensor and pulled it a little bit out around 6cm direction mainboard.

Than fix it  again in the plastic bracket.

My computer got by the way more quiet. Still has this up and down noise, but it is much more soft.

Let's see if I can life with this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors