Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sciblob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 968
Message 1 of 12

M93p SFF compatibilty problem for GTX 1650 low profile

Hello Community,

so, the new low profile version of GTX 1650 (TDP 75W) was released by various companies like MSI, Zotac, etc and I'm trying to install it and get running in my Thinkcentre M93p SFF. Details of my system are:

i5-4570, 8gb, optical drive, 500 Gb HDD, 240W PSU

There is no official driver listed in the driver page for 1650. Also, a lot of people have reported that 1050 Ti works in various Thinkcentre SFF Desktop versions very well despite TDP of 75W.

Problem: So, I plugged in the 1650 in the first PCI-Express slot, connected the HDMI port of the 1650 to VGA port of the monitor by an adapter and the system boots till windows logo appears and then it black screen appears. I have no idea what that means. 

I tested it with latest Nvidia drivers from the Lenovo drivers page and also from the latest Nvidia page, each time removing the previously installed driver. BIOS is updated to the latest. In the BIOS settings I changed the Video output from Auto to PEG. If I uninstall the nvidia driver, everything works normally by the internal graphics card. In windows 10, the graphic card is detected in the device manager before I install the Physx driver, but after installing and restart, windows boots into a blank screen.

Possible solution:  I tried many things like changing monitors and moving to another PCI-slot.

1. It could be that the GPU is somehow broken

2. It could be that only officially supported GPU from Lenovo drivers page work and there is currently still no offical support for 1650. If that's the case would 1650 get an official support in the future? However, I believe GT 1030 ran on various SFFs without the official support.

3. It could be monitor compatibilty or monitor cable/adapter compatibilty.

I doubt that PSU is the problem. If anyone has any experience with graphics card booting windows into blank screen please help. Thanks.

Regards

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 950
Message 2 of 12

Re: M93p SFF compatibilty problem for GTX 1650 low profile

If the machine boots up and card is visible in device manager (I presume using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver), but does not work once you install the Nvidia driver, that pretty much rules out a PSU problem or Lenovo Whitelist issue, and leaves a driver problem (unlikely), or a problem with the HDMI to VGA adapter.

Searching the Nvidia forum, I found this thread that describes the nearly the exact problem you are seeing (other than they were HDMI to HDMI), and they resolved their problem by replacing the HDMI cable, so my guess is that your problem is your HDMI to VGA cable as you suspected. 

Also note that there are two types of HDMI to VGA adapters, with one being passive and the other being active (see this article), and in my experience, the active adapters, like this one, are the only ones that work.

Best of luck,

sciblob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 897
Message 3 of 12

Hey thanks for your reply, 

so, I changed the display cable to a single DVI-D cable (digital signal and without any adapters) and connected to the monitor and the 1650. Unfortunately the problem persists. 

I put a GTX 1050 Ti and it works perfectly fine. But here is the thing: I let windows decide which version of the driver to install (by going to device manager and clicking update on Microsoft Basic Display Driver) and not by downloading from Nvidia website or GeForce Experience. So, for the 1050 Ti the Nvidia version installed is 431.70  and for 1650 it was 430.86. 1650 obviously didn't work for any driver's version.

I mostly suspect now driver and motherboard incompatibility for 1650. I will update here if I find something new. 

YGRIG
Token Ring
Views: 526
Message 4 of 12

Just to make it more informative: which manufacturer's was the GTX 1650 that did not work in M93p. I see there are low-profile cards from ASUS, Zotac and MSI (with mismatched low-profile bracket), who knows, maybe the problem is manufacturer-dependent.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 513
Message 5 of 12

Did you update the BIOS before installing?   Because the RTX 2070 works in a M92p with updated BIOS, and I'd expect a similar generation Nvidia to work in your M93p. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 506
Message 6 of 12

In his origional post,the poster states that they already have the latest BIOS installed, so the mystery continues. 

Highlighted
sciblob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 472
Message 7 of 12

Hey Community,

Thank you for all your messages. Here is the final update on the situation:

So the problem has changed slightely. I'm getting white squares on my display as shown in the photo below after windows installs the graphics driver. I tried the card on my friend's PC (completely different config) and it still gives the same white squares. I guess it's most probable that the graphics card is faulty and who knows why the problem changed to white squares now. I googled and people who had same white squares issue reported the problem as the graphics card being faulty. I returned the card to the seller and settled with the 1050 Ti. I settled with 1050 Ti instead of getting a new 1650, because I didn't had time and patience. My 1650 was from Zotac and 1050 TI is from MSI. 

To the future viewers who will have the same problem: Remember, at 1080p High settings 1650 won't improve your minimum FPS compared to 1050 ti, since the 4th generation Intel is a bottleneck. You can comment on this thread. Since I get an auto-mail, I will answer if any answer from my side is necessary. Hope that someone else tries and posts here.

72782336_910885605949238_7026711417042501632_n.jpg

Yasthil
Paper Tape
Views: 132
Message 8 of 12

Thanks for sharing your experience sciblob.

I'm a new member here, but I've been following a few of these threads closely in the last few weeks.

I've recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkCenter M92P (Small Form Factor) and have been researching which will be the best graphics card to purchase. I know the GTX 1050 ti is common favourite here, but it's currently more expensive than a GTX 1650! 

With Black Friday coming up, I'm keen to purchase the a graphics card - still not sure on which.
My M92p specs:

CPU: i7 3770
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 256 SSD Samsung Evo 

PSU: 350W Antec TFX

@sciblob - your last post highlighted that your problems experienced were due to a faulty card. Perhaps a working GTX 1650 may still work on an m92p board + 350w PSU?
Thank you again for sharing, take care

sciblob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 125
Message 9 of 12

If you want to be maximaly sure of the card being correctly working then go for 1050 ti. On m92p it should work. If you want to and can take tiny risk then buy the 1650. Also see that you can return the card within 15 days. If you have enough money then buy 2 cards, test both of them and return which you don't want. But I don't know the return policies in your country. Also, I have 240W on m93p and haven't faced any issues running AAA titles.

After you buy and test, reply in this thread. 

Yasthil
Paper Tape
Views: 113
Message 10 of 12

Thanks for your quick response @sciblob! 

I would love to get the GTX 1650, however I just read the supported graphics cards on Lenovo's support page for the M92p and the GTX 1650 isn't on the list Smiley Sad 

Excerpt from the Readme for this driver NVIDIA Discrete VGA driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Desktop:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adapters Supported
------------------
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
NVIDIA Quadro K420
NVIDIA Quadro 410
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635
NVIDIA GeForce GT 720
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-m-series-desktops/t... 

That being said, Amazon.ca (Canada) does do allow returns on electronic items so it might make sense to try the GTX 1650 and if it doesn't work, then go with the GTX 1050ti.

For completeness, this was the GTX 1650 low profile I was looking at in particular:

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 Low Profile -  https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07W15Y8R8/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors