cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bundies522
Punch Card
Views: 4,852
Message 1 of 10

M93p Tiny: BIOS update on website does not work on outdated system - how to update in interim steps

Link to the BIOS update with issue: https://support.lenovo.com/il/en/downloads/ds035753

So far the update has failed on 3 of 4 systems I've installed it on.

On the systems where it has failed, I tried using the Windows package twice, and the USB package once.

During the Embedded Controller Firmware update, the update gets stuck in a loop, failing verification. This can go on for hours, and the only option is to terminate the batch job and start it again.

After restarting the Flash.cmd update, the process begins by skipping over the EC update, and goes straight to flashing the BIOS. The BIOS does program, however when it gets to the screen where it says "The BIOS update process will continue after system reboot" the process fails with "Error: Secure Flash function is not supported on this platform"

When rebooting, Windows then hangs for about 30 seconds while booting, which it did not do before. Once in Windows, the Device Manager shows that there is a Generic USB Hub with an "invalid device descriptor" with Code 43.

Obviously, I have not been doing anything wrong. I've updated dozens of M73 systems with no issues. This M93p update is the only one that is giving me issues, and I don't know what else to do to fix it. Unfortunately, all of these systems are out of warranty, otherwise I'd RMA all of them due to Lenovo's horrible failure. But I'm hoping that there is at least potential for this issue to be fixed with another patch.

Here are two other users with the same problems, yet still no reply from Lenovo almost 12 months later.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/M83-SFF-fails-to-flash-the-latest-BIOS-error...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/How-to-force-the-programming-of-Embedded-Con...

Mod:  edited Subject line to expand the problem description

Highlighted
bundies522
Punch Card
Views: 4,827
Message 2 of 10

Re: M93p Tiny BIOS FBKTD2A is broken - bad BIOS update on website

Alright, so I figured out a solution. It took a few days of trial and error. But before I get to that, I want to make it clear that Lenovo's support never reached out to me, never responded to my support ticket, and they never offered any kind of solution. I have never had a worse support experience for a business product in my life. These M93p PCs are from 2014, and as they get to the end of their life, I will not be replacing them with any more Lenovo products after they have demonstrated this negligent product and customer support. I strongly encourage anyone else with this issue to not buy any more Lenovo products either, because the next time this happens, you will be out of luck since they will not support you.

The root cause was that Lenovo screwed up their latest BIOS releases. If you try upgrading directly from a very old version to a new version, the upgrade will fail. And any subsequent attempts to flash any upgrades, even older ones, will fail. There is no warning about this anywhere on the website, and no warning in the flashing utility either.

In order to recover from this, you will need to downgrade the BIOS in recovery mode, and then perform upgrades incrementally to newer versions.

First, enter the BIOS setup utility. On the first screen, identify the boot block revision level. This is the BIOS file you must download and install in a downgrade.

Unfortunately, Lenovo does not publish a history of prior BIOS versions. You will need to guess the URL manually based on the following format: 
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_bios/fbjyXXusa.exe

You must replace the XX in the URL with the two characters between FB and A in the boot block revision level number. For example, if your boot block is FB56A, you would replace the XX with 56 to get the URL 
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_bios/fbjy56usa.exe

Extract your bios to the default c:\swtools folder.

Inside of the folder where you extracted the BIOS, then look for the IMAGEFB.ROM file.

Format a USB flash drive as FAT32. Copy the IMAGEFB.ROM file from the extraction folder to the root of the flash drive.

Shut down the computer. Open it up, move the CLR CMOS jumper to the recovery position.

Plug the flash drive with the ROM file on it into the system, then power it on. The system will beep a few times, flash the Main Block, and then turn off. When it's turned off. Remove the flash drive, and move the CMOS jumper back to the original position.

Close up the system and power it on. It will say invalid configuration. Press F1 to enter setup. You should now see the BIOS revision and boot block are the same version. Scroll to the Exit tab, save config and exit.

Boot into Windows. Now, you can install newer versions of the BIOS. You MUST incrementally upgrade some major milestone releases, including:

I found the March 2014 (74A) BIOS to be MANDATORY for applying any future BIOS upgrade when upgrading from 72A or earlier. After that, I was able to upgrade directly to D2A (Aug 2018).

After each upgrade, check in the BIOS setup to ensure that both the bios revision and boot block are the same number (74, D2, etc).

There is one other thing I learned. I ran into another issue where the Embedded Controller failed to flash. It failed verifying, and as a result Windows was not booting properly. Attempting to re-flash the same version was not working, since the flashing utility saw the same version number installed, even though it was corrupt. There was no way to force it to flash, so I had to create a hacked exe to skip the version check.

However, there is a more general workaround for this. If you download an older BIOS release with an older Embedded Controller version, the utility will flash an older firmware version, as long as it is not an identical version number. Then after a successful flash, you can re-run the newer BIOS EC flash.
Franco789
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,766
Message 3 of 10

Thank you very much!!

Eutechnyx
Punch Card
Views: 4,738
Message 4 of 10

bundies522 , thank you so much for this guide! I've had absolutely same, described above problem with CODE43 USB device error, that have VID00000 and PID00005 or viceversa and nothing helped. That was an awesome headache...

You're **bleep** right M93p Tiny is a BIOS nightmare product. My first acquaintance with it was ended with a died device. All i did after unboxing it was just downloading bunch of drivers with fresh bios back in 2015. After many panic attempts to recover, found so called "recovering from a POST/BIOS update failure" method. That method with our systems should be called "the one and only possible solution to make a simple bios update procedure".  I've flashed the most earliest bios i was able to find all over internet - fbjy42usa dated 19 Jul 2013 and was very happy that PC was back from dead. Tried to upgrade any other versions like years 2015, 2016 leaded me to "SECURE FLASH IS NOT SUPPORTED", "UNABLE TO GET FLASH INFORMATION" etc. So i decided to leave that 2013's year bios.

This year found a solution on how to solder and enable mSATA slot in our Tiny, to have a fast SSD with capacious HDD in such a tiny housing.

Successfully tested working with 860EVO mSATA, installed fresh W10 and decided to make a fresh BIOS update, found many new was released since year 2013... And got that dammit CODE43 device after... Spent 3 days trying to figure out where problem comes from, thought i might damaged some component while soldering msata slot and parts...

I've had a strange combination with FB34A boot block (unable to find such bios anywhere), FBKTD2A main bios block and 00000008 revision 2013's year PCU microcode block...

But but finally found this message, rolled back BIOS to earliest 2013, then fbjy74usa and finished by fbjyd2usa and reflashed EC with utility you've provided in other thread, BOOM, everything is perfecly working now!

I am so grateful to you, i really have no appropriate words! So much thank you for your solution with BIOS steps and EC fixed utility.

IMG_20181129_190433549.jpgIMG_20181129_191026325.jpgIMG_20181129_191046978.jpgIMG_20181129_191236554.jpg

Haplogroup_X
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,988
Message 5 of 10

I have a different machine than you, m73-10B6 but I just tried up update my BIOS with FCJY91USA and it just won't run....thankfully.  I'm not going to make any effort to update the BIOS on my machine until Lenovo fixes this mess.

The instructions with FCJY91USA (windows installation version) states that after unpacking the zip file, locate a particular EXE file (it will have the name of the update as part of the EXE file) and click on it to get the process started.  The file doesn't exist....LOL!!

Lenovo has turned into a total mess.  I miss IBM.

Franco789
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,980
Message 6 of 10

Me too

r1mc
What's DOS?
Views: 3,771
Message 7 of 10

bundies522:
You are amazing man. I was nearly to throw away my motherboard and buy new one after bios update but thanks lord I found your post. I did your tutorial and now it's working properly!
Thank you very much!!! Smiley Happy))
DonRusak
Paper Tape
Views: 3,645
Message 8 of 10

Just talked to Lenovo Tech Support and they outright told me that there is NO reference to a BAD BIOS on their website.  REALLY!!!  Maybe he was looking on the "ACER" website!!! 

However, all the solutions noted here are fine IF your system can see a boot device after the BIOS update failure.  My computer just boots to a black screen and does NOT recognize CD/USB or even the HDD... so I am unsure how to revert back to previous BIOS!

Any suggestions?

DonRusak
Paper Tape
Views: 3,632
Message 9 of 10

Perfect... Just connected with the local Lenovo Partner and they have seen this before and CANNOT fix it.  They have to 'swap out' the motherboard!!  Thanks Lenovo, any guesses to what will NOT be on my 'wish list' for next year???

_Aleksandar_
Paper Tape
Views: 2,398
Message 10 of 10

hello friend,

do you provide soldering msata instructions and specs of components

Thanks in advance

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors