cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrAbo0oD
Punch Card
Views: 4,748
Message 1 of 30

M93p - graphics card, PSU, and power benchmark (consumption)

Hello there Smiley Happy

i just got a new computer befor few days its a m93p small factor thing and it works amazing it has

MB: Lenovo shark bay

RAM: 16 gb of ram 

CPU: intel core i7 4770 @3.4 GHz

Hard drive:1tb HDD

Graphics card: intel hd 4600 (upgrading soon)

i dont know what is my power supply so yeah.

i was looking to upgrade my video card to a gtx 970 since the 970 is too big am gonna get the mini versio so it could fit but i dont know if the 970 is compatible with my whole computer so i need help to know if its gonna be good or not and weather or not my PSU wattage is high enough so am stuck here :/

Mod:  edited form factor in Subject line to reflect the greater scope of thread.

SeniorGuru
Views: 4,715
Message 2 of 30

Re: m93p sff is the graphics card upgradable?

Are you asking about a GTX 970?  You spelled it "GFX".

Anyway, I'd say NO... in your SFF case you require a low-profile add-on card.  The GTX970 is full-size from what I can see.

Also, it is incompatible with the stock PSU in the M93p, which is only 280W and does not have the needed PCIe power cable to feed the power connector on such a strong graphics card.  You'd have to at least replace the PSU in the M93p with a much larger one, which is really only suitable for a tower case, not a SFF case.

So you're limited to looking for a "reasonable" graphics update for your SFF M93p, meaning (a) low-power requirements which does NOT need additional PCIe power cable from the PSU, and (b) low-profile form factor so it can fit in the SFF case.  Problem is you may not fit a dual-slot card into the SFF case, even if it's low-profile.

Best suggestion is the single-slot AMD R7-250 which ABSOLUTELY works in the M93p SFF (I've installed it in three M93p SFF machines I've built for friends).  These run off of the PCIe bus and do not require additional power connections.  This is NOT a high-end graphics card, but is definitely superior to the built-in Intel HD 4600 on the M93p.

You might also be able to use a low-profile GTX 750 family card like this one, or maybe this one, if you can be sure the retail product includes a low-profile bracket in the box.  These also are low-power and do not require additional PCIe power connections from the PSU. I've never used it myself, but it's low-profile size and low-power.  Question is about its WIDTH.

Final question regards what monitor(s) you are connecting it to, and whether you need DVI, HDMI or DP.  The low-profile bracket may be limited, although the R7-250 option had THREE digital connectors on it... but you need to use the included adapters (or get a proper 2-ended cable) to go from miniDP->DP or microHDMI->HDMI if that's what you need.

MrAbo0oD
Punch Card
Views: 4,711
Message 3 of 30

yes i know that the normal gtx 970 is too big thats why i said i needed the MINI (https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=gtx+970+mini+watt&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4WeVVam1... so i talked with the guy that got me this computer he said its all fine and the psu that i got has a 8 pin converter thing or something like that for the gtx 970 mini so he said am all fine with it but he said 280 watts is enough wich dosent make any sense for me at all am not a professinal pc guy but is it true that a 280 watt psu could handle it am not sure but the guy who got this to me have built lots and lots of computers so am not sure

MrAbo0oD
Punch Card
Views: 4,702
Message 4 of 30

and the mini version of the gtx 970 use less power that the full version of the gtx 970 and am planning to leave it at stock speed so yeah. . .

Flarn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,697
Message 5 of 30

Check out the compatibility matrix for a list of graphics cards compatibile with your system. Remove the guesswork and get one of the models shown as compatible with the M93p. You will also need to know your type. You will have a model M93p type xxxx. This 4 digit number will be physically written somewhere on the exterior of your tower.

SeniorGuru
Views: 4,698
Message 6 of 30

@MrAbo0oD wrote:

and the mini version of the gtx 970 use less power that the full version of the gtx 970 and am planning to leave it at stock speed so yeah. . .

I'm sorry, I can't provide any info on this double-wide card as I've never had any experience with it, not in an M93p nor in any other machine.

The hardware maintenance manual for the M93p shows that the fact that it's double-wide (i.e. occupying two expansion slots) is not a problem. There's a PCIe X1 slot right below the PCIe x16 slot for the card, so physically there should be room for a larger double-wide card AS LONG AS IT IS LOW-PROFILE IN HEIGHT!!!

You're on your own if you want to try it based on your friend's comments that it should work.  I can't speak one way or another.  But uness it does not need additional PCIe power from the PSU, I find it hard to believe.  If the card requires PCIe power, well the 280W PSU on the M93p simply doesn't have that cable available.  So just be prepared for issues.

I only know that I've used the AMD R7-250 in the NON-GAMING M93p SFF machines I've built, and the low-power R7-250 works perfectly in these machines and provides perfectly acceptable NON-GAMING graphics performance.  Great improvement over the built-in Intel HD4600, but just not for HIGH-PERFORMANCE GAMING.  Of course you've got an M93p SFF, which is not designed really to be a high-performance gaming machine. 

And if you want a somewhat stronger card, well the GTX 750 and 750ti cards are better than the R7-250, but they may be harder to find in low-profile forms.

Your criteria should be: (a) low-profile, (b) low-power, (c) at least 1GB of GDDR5 memory, not GDDR3.

That's really all I can say. I looked at the "compatibility matrix" document and it's not of much value.  The video cards named are woefully old (e.g. HD7450 from AMD is an old forerunner of the newer HD7750, which became the R7-250) and incomplete, and all of the AMD and nVidia cards we've been discussing are not even listed.

MrAbo0oD
Punch Card
Views: 4,668
Message 7 of 30

okay then if i replced my power supply with a 500-600 watts one is it gonna fit in there or i need a special small one for this one and i know for sure that the gtx 970 wont fit in there because i've done some testing so am going with the mini version because its gonna be perfect there. 

MrAbo0oD
Punch Card
Views: 4,656
Message 8 of 30

Thanks to everybody who tried to help me i have taken my dissection and its to upgrade my power supply to a 600w one (i have found a one that perfectly fit my computer) and after that am gonna buy a gtx 970 mini which is gonna fit my case.

Thank you people Smiley Very Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,650
Message 9 of 30

I'm guessing you have a mini-tower not a SFF, as that aren't any 600w psu upgrades for a SFF.  If you post the model number of your system, we'll know for sure.

And fyi for anyone else, the 7450 was the successor to the 6450 and not related to the 7750:   "e.g. HD7450 from AMD is an old forerunner of the newer HD7750, which became the R7-250", see here:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7450-vs-Radeon-HD-6450

the shading and texture units are identical. If you use that site to compare to the 7750, you'll see a big difference.

The biggest remaining issue for upgrading to a GTX 970 is the cooling capability (beyond if it's even supported by the BIOS - the driver supports a 760 at the highest, see readme file below), the volume of the case and air flow capacity.   The 970 can generate 145w+ under maximum gaming load, which is several times what the case is capable of handling reliably. 

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/g3vdo03us14.txt

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
MrAbo0oD
Punch Card
Views: 4,636
Message 10 of 30

I got the SFF version of the m93p and the current power supply that i have is some weird fsp group thing 240w power supply

I went to the current power supply fourm and found out the exact size of it and i found a 600w power supply in the same size (Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX600)) its compatible with the i7 4770 as far as i know and it works fine on the gpu

The video card is the gtx 970 mini because the normal version wont fit. And the lack of cooling ia gonna be delt by me i already have a way to deal with tempretures and its working fine for me and the mini version of the gonna use less power than the normal version so there should be no prob

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors