Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richled13
Paper Tape
Views: 14,950
Message 1 of 14

M93p - power supply (PSU) and graphics upgrades

Hello everyone, I've seen a few threads about similar issues, but here goes:

I recently purchased a Thinkcentre m93p from the Lenovo Outlet for a very good price. I used to work with desktops and graphics cards but had switched to laptops for maybe 10 years or so. It seems that the landscape has changed quite a bit with manufacturers whitelisting parts and putting in proprietary power supplies and other complete nonsense. 

I am hoping to do a few things with my new desktop in particular: install an SSD and more memory, upgrade the power supply, and upgrade the graphics card. I am comfortable installing the memory and I think I can figure out the SSD. My questions really have to do with the power supply and graphics card.

I'd like to install an ATX power supply because I can't seem to find any TFX power supplies that have sufficient wattage and a pci-e 6-pin connector. I know some others have done this, and that it requires a 24-pin to 14-pin connector (which I've ordered). Does the ATX supply fit in the case? Or does it require modification? Or does it need to sit outside the case?

As for graphics cards, I've ordered this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8905320

I think it can run off the 280-watt power supply included, but now I'm concerned that it might be too big for the tower case and/or not on Lenovo's whitelist. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Is there a way to get around this absurd whitelist? And if I do upgrade the power supply, any chance of using a GTX 960 or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

Mod:  edited title for clarity

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,958
Message 2 of 14

Re: Thinkcentre M93p Upgrades

I run a Gigabyte 750 Ti in my M91p tower with an upgraded ATX power supply (which fits in the case provided they aren't too long, and works with the converter [M92 and later] - best to get a semi-modular supply as there's limited room in the case for unused cables.)   The Gigabyte looks quite a bit shorter than the one you ordered, check the specs. 

I also added the front fan (easy to do on the M93 - download and refer to the Hardware Maintenance manual - a standard 92mm fan with rubber mounts will work) and ventilated PCI slot covers at the back to help dissipate heat from the graphics card. Check the readme file for the Nvidia driver on the Lenovo website for this system for the list of supported cards.   And no, there isn't a way around the white list, otherwise it wouldn't be a white list. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Richled13
Paper Tape
Views: 14,898
Message 3 of 14

Haha, fair enough on the whitelist. I grabbed this EVGA Bronze ATX 500W power supply which seems pretty small for an ATX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012 (just 85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 140mm (L)). I'm hoping that'll mount nicely in there, despite not being modular, but if not, I'll shoot for something that is.

I also went ahead and got the EVGA 750 ti (much smaller card!) and the 92mm fan you mentioned. Assuming I can get the power supply in there, I might try for an R9 270x (though unlike the nVidia driver, the AMD driver doesn't list supported models so I guess it's kind of a gamble).

Thanks! 

By the way, what psu did you use?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,892
Message 4 of 14

Others have tried a R9 270 without success. Best to stay with Nvidia.

That PSU should fit fine, just keep the unused cables in the top part of the case as much as possible, and I do like the EVGA graphics cards, but I needed support for 4 monitors, Gigabyte is the only one. I'm using a Corsair AX750 modular, overkill for this, but planning to build a stronger system in a year.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
x573V30
Paper Tape
Views: 14,719
Message 5 of 14

Hello! Sorry for the resurrection of this thread but i was searching for a PS upgrade for my M93p 10A9, would the one you linked to be a good fit for it or is that for the larger version of the M93p? Thank you!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,712
Message 6 of 14

@x573V30 wrote:
i was searching for a PS upgrade for my M93p 10A9, would the one you linked to be a good fit for it or is that for the larger version of the M93p? Thank you!

No.   That one is the the mini-tower only, not a SFF.   From what I know, the SFF psu is custom size. 

sjwitkowski
Paper Tape
Views: 14,053
Message 7 of 14

Looking to do a similar upgrade.

Anyone have any advice or experience with physical GPU size limitations?

I would like to add a GTX780 GPU but it looks like sata cables into motherboard might interfere.

Richled13
Paper Tape
Views: 14,047
Message 8 of 14

Hello, I have this in it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362

It's a hair over 8 inches long, and honestly I wouldn't go much further than that. The cables do get in the way. 

I will say that the 970 will probably get you fairly similar performance and is more power-efficient (you'll definitely need to upgrade the PSU from stock though, as I think you probably realized already). 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,041
Message 9 of 14

@BiggAl wrote:

@x573V30 wrote:
i was searching for a PS upgrade for my M93p 10A9, would the one you linked to be a good fit for it or is that for the larger version of the M93p? Thank you!

No.   That one is the the mini-tower only, not a SFF.   From what I know, the SFF psu is custom size. 

Correction:   Now that I have a (M73) SFF, I have verified that the PSU for a SFF is an industry-standard  'TFX' power supply.   Although the strongest ones that I've seen are in the 350 - 400w range, not a huge increase over the stock supply.

TFX12V -- Thin Form Factor with 12-Volt Connector

SeniorGuru
Views: 14,026
Message 10 of 14

Just remember that PSU you're looking at has a 24-pin main connector.  The Lenovo desktop motherboards of late use a 14-pin connector, so you have to go through a 24->14 adapter like this one.  Not expensive, but required if you replace PSU.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors