Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gkodinov
Paper Tape
Views: 729
Message 1 of 6

M93p: trying to install an SSD:can't get it to be Drive0

I have had an HDD installed when I've received the box. It was connected to the ESATA slot.

I am trying to install an SSD now. 

I have taken the esata cable and plugged it into the SSD.

And I have my HDD re-attached to SATA0. 

But when I boot I still get the HDD as Drive0, so unless I disable it from booting it tries to boot from the HDD. 

How do I make the SSD be Drive0 ?

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 703
Message 2 of 6

Re: M93p: trying to install an SSD:can't get it to be Drive0

Sounds like Windows bootloader information is on the HDD and not on the SSD, so the HDD is being assigned Disk0 and your SSD as Disk1

If you want to boot from the SSD, you should disconnect the HDD completely, install the OS to the SSD, and once that is completed, re-install the HDD, and make sure that the SSD is the first drive in the boot priority settings in the BIOS.   

After that you can reformat the HDD if desired and your systems bootloader will be on your SSD with the HDD as a storage drive.    

Basically the BIOS enumerates the disk and then searches the fist sector of the drives to locate a bootloader.   In my experience, the drive that contains the bootloader information is then reported by Windows as Disk0.

Best of luck,

SeniorGuru
Views: 699
Message 3 of 6

I don't think the designation Disk0 vs. Disk1 is at all relevant to booting.  You just must have the proper drive listed first in the BIOS boot sequence list (from the Startup tab in Setup utility), i.e. the drive that contains the "system reserved" bootable partition.  You don't need to do something to get the actual drive names as you think they should be in Windows DISKMGMT or any other perspective.

Both the Boot Manager partition and any one or more OS partition(s) can be anywhere, on any one or more drives.  But the BIOS must know where to look to find that initial Boot Manager partition which contains the pointer(s) to the one or more bootable OS's you have installed, wherever you have installed them.  So if you rearrange your drives as you have (by adding the SSD and moving the HDD to internal), you must go to the Startup tab in Setup and reorder the drives there so that the drive containing the Boot Manager partition is first (or at least after the USB HDD/FDD and optical CD/DVD entries, to permit booting from those devices if you want).

If you're eventually going to clone Windows from HDD over to SSD, or install Windows from scratch to the SSD, again you must consider the existence of the current Boot Manager partition on the HDD, if you're going to retain it or just wipe the HDD clean and use it for "data" and start from scratch with both Boot Manager and Windows installed clean to the SSD.  Whatever you decide to do, there is a proper series of steps you should take to accomplish that.

But in the end the BIOS must know where to go to find Boot Manager partition in order to begin the boot process, and that's specified in the Startup tab of the Setup utility.

gkodinov
Paper Tape
Views: 687
Message 4 of 6

I have tried the following:

I've disconnected the HDD and kept the SSD on the eSATA.

I've installed windows 10.

Then I've added the HDD to SATA 0 and have re-juggled the boot order so that Drive0 (the HDD) is not in any BIOS boot sequence.

I was still able to boot all right.

But then I've noticed that there's a "recovery" partition on Drive0 (the HDD). And have removed that using diskpart.

And I'm not able to boot anymore !

I think I must have my boot drive as drive 0 otherwise the said recovery partition goes to the wrong drive.

So still open to suggestions on how to make an eSATA device be Drive0 when there's a SATA device present too. 

I probably could just plug both on SATA. But I don't want to loose eSATA speeds. Or so I think until proven wrong Smiley Happy

SeniorGuru
Views: 680
Message 5 of 6

The recovery partition doesn't have anything to do with booting, so I don't know why your removing it would make any difference in influencing your ability to still be able to boot normally or not.  It's just another "data" partition with a specific content and purpose (i.e. to allow you to restore your entire configuration back to factory condition, i.e. "right out of the Lenovo carton" as if you were about to turn it on for the very first time).

Not that it's critical, but I do all of my partitioning work using Minitool Partition Wizard Free rather than DISKPART.  I just prefer its GUI interface and its extensive set of functions and features and capabilities.

As it turns out, I don't need the recovery partition in my own situations (since I prefer to take regular ongoing current backups, using both Macrium Reflect Free for "system images" as well as using NovaBACKUP (not free, but very reasonable) for "data folder/file" backups.  I never want to have to start over from factory-scratch just because I have some disaster two years after getting the machine.  I want to worst-case go back to "last weekend" or even closer, to get me back in business.  That's what ongoing regular backups provide.

So I always delete the recovery partition and reclaim that 12GB or so of space for general use adding it to an adjacent "data" partition on that same drive.  It's definitely not at all crucial to booting properly.

If you had the HDD removed when you installed Win10 to the SSD, then if you look at the SSD (say with Partition Wizard) you should see the small '"system reserved" (active) partition (with no drive letter), as well as the large Win10 "system" partition (which is lettered C when you are operating).  If GPT partitioining was used (as it probably was) then you probably also have a small (say 128MB or so) "GPT placeholder" partition partition (also with no drive letter). And the BIOS must be set to have this SSD drive first in the boot sequence list.

If you can then add back the HDD, and again boot normally, and look at the HDD with Partition Wizard, you should be able to delete ALL of the partitions on the HDD, making it completely unallocated.  And you should still be able to boot normally to the SSD without any consequence.  And then you can use Partition Wizard to create one or more "data" partitions on the HDD out of its currently totally unallocated free space.  Partition Wizard allows you to also assign whatever drive letters you'd like to those newly created partitions when they are created, or you can later use Partition Wizard or DISKMGMT.MSC to change those letters to something else if you have a change of mind.

Again, if you're truly booting from the SSD and the BIOS points to it first in the boot sequence list, the presence or absence of the HDD or any one or more partitions on the HDD should be totally irrelevant.  And certainly the presence or absence of the very special purpose Lenovo-provided recovery partition (typically lettered Q from the factory) is unimportant.

Granted, I've never used an eSata drive, but I don't know why that would be critical here.  Always I've had nothing but one or more internal drives, HDD or SSD, and always all connected to the motherboard SATA connectors.  Onboard SATA3 connectors support the fastest SATA3 drives, so I don't know why that would be a negative. I honestly don't know why eSata would be preferable, and I doubt that this would be true.  Isn't eSata simply "external SATA", like an external USB-interface  enclosure housing a SATA drive but supported through a USB interface, but in this case supported by an eSata interface and cable?

gkodinov
Paper Tape
Views: 664
Message 6 of 6

I give up.

I've removed my SSD from the eSATA port and plugged both drivers into SATA1 and SATA2. Now the order is the correct one. 

I've re-installed windows and all is fine. 

Case closed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors