cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skeelsd
What's DOS?
Views: 348
Message 1 of 3

M93z: hanging at startup with USB Keypad (Genovation)

We recently purchased 5 ThinkCentre M93z's to complement the 100+ E93z's that we currenlty use in our school district cafeterias. These computers have Windows 7 OS and the only other software we install is Meals Plus software to track students and food purchases. These computers have a Genovation Mini-Terminal model 905-S version 7.20 keypad attached that can either scan a student's ID  card or they can punch in their student ID number to purchase their meals and we install the latest driver for that device. With all 5 of the M93z's we purchased the computers will hang at the Lenovo splash screen (most common) or hang at the Windows Startup screen at the point when you first start to see the colored balls appear. It will stay stuck at this point until you unplug the keypad at which point it will finish booting up.  At point you can plug the device in and use it but once you restart it it will hang up again.  This happened no matter which USB port you use (two on the side or the four on the back). We have never had any issue with the E93z computers. 

I have updated the bios. I have removed and reinstalled the lastest USB drivers for this computer.  The bios is set to start up from the hard drive. USB is not one of the startup options.

It conistently does this with all 5 of our M93z's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mod:   edited Subject line to clarify problem description

TC-M93-DT
What's DOS?
Views: 266
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkCentre M93z hanging at startup with USB Keypad plugged in.

I've had the ThinkCentre M93 since July 2014. I run it constantly and have only shut it down a dozen times. When I first went to restart the computer, it only got as far as the Lenovo splash page. It would freeze, I would hold the power-on button for seven seconds, it would shut down. Doing this three or four times, and finally it would start windows and I could use the pc again. Suffice it to say, because of this problem, I rarely turn off the machine.

A couple of times I used the OS Recovery Disc that I got with the pc purchase. It has helped a few times.

But I feel like there is no true solution yet. Everything I try that works is really just luck.

Anyone else having this issue? And found a solution yet?

Thanks.

skeelsd
What's DOS?
Views: 260
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkCentre M93z hanging at startup with USB Keypad plugged in.

I contacted Genovation, the manufactor of the keypads we used. They sent me a firmware update. Installed it on the problem keypads and it resolved the issue for me.

Top Kudoed Authors