Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkelly22
Paper Tape
Views: 3,623
Message 1 of 9

Memory upgrade: ECC or Non-ECC (RAM)

I'm looking at upgrading the RAM with 8GB RAM, I used Crucial.co.uk and ran a system scan which determines your computer model and compatible RAM upgrades, however it advises that you shouldn't mix ECC RAM with NON-ECC. I have been advised to contact lenovo to find out what RAM this model would have been shipped with. 

Please see below advised RAM upgrade - there is also a ECC version which is recommended for this computer;

8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 1024Meg x 64 part #:CT5205806
  • DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 1024Meg x 64 •
  • upgrade for Lenovo ThinkCentre E73 Tower system.

Computer specification:

S/N - xxxxxxxx

Model no. 002PUK

Product ID - 10AS002PUK

Machine type - 10AS

We are looking at upgrading a potential 4 more machines, please could you specify what information you would need from us about each machine in order to tell us the RAM spec

Many thanks,

Rebecca

Moderator Note; s/n edited to prevent possible abuse

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 3,596
Message 2 of 9

Re: RAM upgrade ECC or NON-ECC

Lenovo E73 will only take non-ECC memory. Originally there is 1 module 4GB DDR PC3-12800 installed (provided it was not upgraded afterwards). Source: Link

So CT5205806 is fine.

I find it strange that Crucial would suggest ECC memory for this one. Actually - if you select E73 manually, only choice is non-ECC memory ... Link

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

EppNation
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,320
Message 3 of 9

I have Corsair Vengence Pro 16GB in mine

Along with a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 running surround displays, I can't seem to bog it down! Literally, I never have to close anything, it just keeps going. There's no ceiling, it's amazing. 

GMAS_B
What's DOS?
Views: 2,962
Message 4 of 9

I tested my E73 with ECC ram from a HP¨workstation. The E73 functions normal with ecc ram although the i5 cpu doesn't support ecc ram according to Intel's website

GMAS_B
What's DOS?
Views: 2,961
Message 5 of 9

I tested my E73 with ecc ram from my HP workstation. It worked fine although the i5 doesn't support ecc ram according to Intel's website.

Anybody with an explanation?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,954
Message 6 of 9

Are you sure that the HP had ECC memory installed?

Can you check via these methods, let us know the results:

how-do-i-tell-if-my-memory-is-ecc-or-non-ecc

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,928
Message 7 of 9

@BiggAl wrote:

Are you sure that the HP had ECC memory installed?

Can you check via these methods, let us know the results:

how-do-i-tell-if-my-memory-is-ecc-or-non-ecc

What was the results?   It would be helpful to the community to know.   Thx. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
GMAS_B
What's DOS?
Views: 2,905
Message 8 of 9

So I did the test with the HP Z210: it is ECC memory.

I also see there is a difference between registered and non-registered memory, does somebody knows the difference? How can you know which one you have installed? Or is that not important for the system

Gert

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,878
Message 9 of 9

As written above, and at this thread here.   The chipset specs, published by Intel, state that the Intel H81 Chipset used by the E73 (and M73) does not support ECC memory.   (Perhaps it worked for your test, but it's not designed to work that way, and you could get erratic operation.) 

f-ecc memory.png

(The C226 is a workstation and server chipset -- used in ThinkServer TS140 with ECC memory.   Additionally, you would need to have an Intel processor that supports ECC memory, many consumer-focused models used in a lower-end desktop like the E73 do not)  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors