Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robo36
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,030
Message 1 of 4

Need M900 tiny WIn 10 Pro Bios set up

I have recently purchased a M900 Tiny Bios version is: FWKT54A DATED 6/24/2016 . I have not checked to see if there is an update at this time.

My question is there are at least two BIOS areas that are specifically related to win 10 , to be enabled . But I am not sure if I need to enable them or not?

I would appreciate if someone with more experience then I could let me know what there setup is for WIN 10 Pro on the M900.

Thanks

ROb

SeniorGuru
Views: 918
Message 2 of 4

Re: Need M900 tiny WIn 10 Pro Bios set up

@robo36 wrote:

I have recently purchased a M900 Tiny Bios version is: FWKT54A DATED 6/24/2016 . I have not checked to see if there is an update at this time.

My question is there are at least two BIOS areas that are specifically related to win 10 , to be enabled . But I am not sure if I need to enable them or not?

I would appreciate if someone with more experience then I could let me know what there setup is for WIN 10 Pro on the M900.

Thanks

ROb

All drivers and downloads (including BIOS) for the M900 is available on the Lenovo download site for this M900 desktop machine.

Scrolling down to the BIOS/UEFI item and expanding, it shows that the latest BIOS (for all machines in the M900 family) is FWKT79A dated 7/17/2017.

So at the very least, we know there is a more current BIOS that is part of the set of updates you should probably be applying to your machine.  Note that you can apply these manually yourself, or more conveniently you can use Lenovo's Thinkvantage System Update utility (which is also one of the software items available on that download page) which will examine your current system and do everything you need to do for you automatically.

As far as your question regarding what you describe as two specific BIOS settings pertaining to Win10, if you would identify them here in detail, we could probably answer your question.  Which settings are you asking about?

If your machine came with Win10 pre-installed, I would have to guess that Lenovo pre-set those settings to support Win10, so they're almost certainly in the proper state.  If your machine came with Win7 pre-installed and you're now wanting to upgrade to Win10, and if those two settings you're asking about truly are binary-state where they MUST be in either of the two positions depending on whether you're running Win7 or Win10, well... they almost certainly came from Lenovo with them configured for Win7 to operate correctly.

As to whether these BIOS setting you're asking about MUST be set a certain way in order to support Win10 vs. Win7, again unless you detail specifically to us which BIOS settings you're asking about, we can't really guess which they are.  But if you ask SPECIFICALLY (with detail as to which two settings you're asking about), we can then answer.

Please state WHICH two specific BIOS settings you're asking about, which you feel are critical to Win10 vs. Win7?

Nevertheless, you still SHOULD be using Lenovo's Thinkvantage System Update utility to automatically present to you the set of (a) critical, (b) important, and (c) optional, software and driver downloads which are applicable to the current state of your machine.  Or, you can do it yourself manually from the download page I referenced earlier.

robo36
Fanfold Paper
Views: 914
Message 3 of 4

Hello 

I received my M900 Tiny with Window’s 7 Enterprise installed, I installed Win 10 Pro, with some difficulty because the M900 Bios would not recognize the Mouse or Keyboard! Had to search the web to find out that I had to change the Bios Device settings to a legacy Keyboard.

Then WIn 10 pro installed correctly.

While I was in the M900 Bios I observed two references to WIN 10.

First one was in the Exit Tab , OS Optimized Defaults meet WIn 10.

The Second was in Startup CSM Disable to support Win 10 64 bit and later UEFI aware ops.

SO those are the WIn 10 settings I encountered, while trying to figure out why the Keyboard and Mouse were not working.

At this time, I stll have the FWKT54A Bios dated 6/24/2016. I have been reading other posts on the forum discussing VIDEO issues with the M900 Tiny. And so far, I have not had any Video issues I am using a Lenovo 23 inch 10DQD monitor and so far so good. Sometimes changing the Bios on a computer can lead to new issues.

So I think I will wait for a while and get use to the present Bios.

Thanks for the speedy response. 

Rob

SeniorGuru
Views: 907
Message 4 of 4

@robo36 wrote:

I received my M900 Tiny with Window’s 7 Enterprise installed, I installed Win 10 Pro, with some difficulty because the M900 Bios would not recognize the Mouse or Keyboard! Had to search the web to find out that I had to change the Bios Device settings to a legacy Keyboard.

Then WIn 10 pro installed correctly.

While I was in the M900 Bios I observed two references to WIN 10.

First one was in the Exit Tab , OS Optimized Defaults meet WIn 10.

The Second was in Startup CSM Disable to support Win 10 64 bit and later UEFI aware ops.

SO those are the WIn 10 settings I encountered, while trying to figure out why the Keyboard and Mouse were not working.

Given that the machine arrived with Win7 pre-installed, I think I might have gone ahead and before installing Win10 would have selected that Exit Tab option to restore OS optimized defaults for Win10.  Almost certainly this would have changed the CSM "enable" for Win7 to CSM "disable" (and UEFI "enable") for Win10.

I'm surprised Win10's installer couldn't recognize the mouse/keyboard (I assume you were using USB mouse and keyboard) and that you had to first set the BIOS to support "legacy keyboard".  The Skylake chipset requires USB 3.0 drivers to support USB mouse/keyboard, and USB 3.0 support was not native for Win7 although it IS inherently part of Win10.  In fact this is why people have had trouble installing Win7 on Skylake machines, specifically because USB 3.0 driver is needed and the Win7 installer media didn't have USB 3.0 drivers built in.  In order to install Win7 on these machines you first have to create new updated Win7 install media that has the missing USB 3.0 drivers (and potentially also the missing NVMe drivers for M.2 SSD hardware, if you want to support NVMe drives) added to it.

But maybe because of the "CSM enable" (since the machine had Win7 delivered) this was all part of the same general subject of having the BIOS settings preset for its delivered Win7 that caused an issue for now installing Win10.  Again, however, I would have expected that Win10 would have had no problem at all... if you did first chose "OS optimize defaults for Win10".

That said, I don't actually have an M900 in front of me to work with. The M800 (Skylake) I do have access to has Win7 pre-installed, and the M910t (Kaby Lake, so it's not identical) I could have access to has Win10 pre-installed.  But I do have a P70 (Skylake) laptop which came with Win7 pre-installed and which I then added Win10 as a second bootable OS... AND DIDN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING IN THE BIOS TO ACCOMPLISH THAT!  In other words the P70 BIOS with Win7 delivered by Lenovo already had "dual-mode settings" in the BIOS that while obviously enabling Win7 also enabled me to install Win10 directly with no additional BIOS tweaks.

Yes, there is an option on the EXIT tab of the P70 BIOS to "reset to Optimized defaults" but I didn't have to do that.  I simply dove right into my Win10 install.

There is one important setting on the STARTUP tab, pertaining to UEFI/LEGACY BOOT.  It has several sub-options under it.

(1) BIOS type - I have BOTH specified, although there was also a UEFI-only (for UEFI-enabled OS) and LEGACY-only (for other than UEFI-enabled OS) choice.  Obviously BOTH means "both", so there's no problem with either Win7 or Win10 and I can clearly boot from either on my dual-boot P70.

(2) Boot priority UEFI/legacy - I have LEGACY FIRST specified, although there was also UEFI FIRST option.  This seems to support Win7 first, and/or Win10 next.  I don't know if Win10 requires UEFI (probably does), but LEGACY FIRST certainly doesn't hurt as I can boot from either Win7 or Win10 on my dual-boot P70.

(3) CSM Support - I have YES specified, but cannot change that.  Obviously this is the result of the BOTH UEFI and LEGACY BIOS types being supported, so as long as I say "BOTH" that implies CSM support is required and cannot be disabled.  This allows Win7 (which will be running using Legacy BIOS), and obviously doesn't harm Win10 (which will be running with UEFI BIOS).

Unfortunately, the most recent Lenovo User Guide's don't bother to provide complete details on all BIOS Setup utility options and their value choices.  So it's hard for me to really answer definitively what they've done in your M900 BIOS.  But as long as UEFI is supported and active and operational (as it will be for Win10), I don't think CSM is relevant.  I honestly believe CSM is for support of Win7 with newer hardware and legacy BIOS.  I don't think it's pertinent with UEFI and Win10.

Hope my P70 settings provide some helpful guidance with your M900.  If you've gotten everything operating (as you must have, since you're now running Win10 on your M900) I'm guessing you're fine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors