cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnnyMordoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,459
Message 1 of 10

Need assistance in creating Windows 7 x64 Enterprise image for M910 (10MM002RUS)

Folks,

I try loading a Windows 7 x64 Enterprise image DVD on the M910 - it gets to the Windows setup screen and just freezes!

Win7EEx64Start.JPG

It will now allow me to go any further.

I have tried different ports for the keyboard and mouse - no luck.

This machine does have the 1 TB SATA drive and we are hoping to install a 256 SSD for the OS drive at some point.

Just need to get a functioning OS on this box.

It is a Win 10 downgrade machine and supports Windows 7.

USB 3.0 driver?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

John

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,449
Message 2 of 10

Re: Need assistance in creating Windows 7 x64 Enterprise image for M910 (10MM002RUS)

I think that system has only USB 3.1 ports, so you will have to use this utility from Intel to bundle the USB 3.0 drivers into your installation media so your keyboard and mouse are recognized, or if it has the optional rear PS/2 ports, dig out an old keyboard and mouse..

Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Cheers,

JohnnyMordoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,443
Message 3 of 10

Re: Need assistance in creating Windows 7 x64 Enterprise image for M910 (10MM002RUS)

Thanks  - will keep you posted.

Robot Happy

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,429
Message 4 of 10

One more similar option: Gigabyte has a utility program they created for their own users of Skylake motherboards (Intel chipsets 100/200/x299) which required USB 3.0 driver support built into the Win7 install media.  As with the Intel utility linked to above, the Gigabyte utility also creates new USB install media by slipstreaming USB 3.0 drivers into a pre-existing Win7 DVD install media, so that the newly created bootable USB Win7 install media can support the USB mouse/keyboard via USB 3.0 ports.

In addition, the Gigabyte utility will also optionally add NVMe drivers (which are also missing from original MS Win7 install media), so that if you want to install Win7 to an M.2 NVMe target drive on your new Skylake machine you can do that as well.  The utility from Intel is only concerned with adding USB 3.0 drivers, so this is an advantage to using the Gigabyte utility instead to be able to install Win7 to NVMe if you want to do that.

The Gigabyte utility is available from the Gigabyte download site, scrolling down on the page about midway.  It is described as: Windows USB Installation Tool, (Note) Support Intel 100/200/X299 series motherboards. OS: Windows 7 64bit,Windows 7 32bit.

The direct link to the utility on that page is here.

JohnnyMordoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,396
Message 5 of 10

It still freezes - will try the Gigabyte utility.....

It never make it past the initial setup - no mouse or keyboard activity or pointers...........

Robot Sad

JohnnyMordoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,385
Message 6 of 10

Stange......

Gigabyte Utility works.... was able to load OS and start image build.

Only curious thought is my Symantec AV picked up malware in the Gigabyte install files....

Will scan machine - but could be a false positive.

So far so good.......

Robot Very Happy

JohnnyMordoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,340
Message 7 of 10

The Gigabyte utility did work - was able to put a Windows 7 x64 Enterprise image on the machine.

The downside is the the Gigabyte utility looks to be malware.

WS.Reputation.JPG

Any alternatives out there?

Not a fan of using malware to build an image.......

Thanks.

Robot surprised

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,333
Message 8 of 10

I don't understand.

The Gigabyte utility is used to create new Win7 install media.  It is run by itself, and reads your existing Win7 install media on DVD or ISO, and inserts (i.e. slipstreams) the additional required USB 3.0 drivers and optionally NVMe drivers, into the newly created bootable USB install media.

That's it. Then the utility is done.

You then use the newly created bootable USB media to boot from and install Win7.

And you say you've done that successfully.

So where is this malware detection you've identified showing up?  Surely something's not right here, as this utility from Gigabyte is being distributed by Gigabyte, and has been available for probably 2 years now, and reliably used by probably many people to create a new bootable USB Win7 install media for Skylake motherboards.  Surely there can't be genuine malware involved in any way.

The Gigabyte utility doesn't end up on your installed Win7.  It is only used to create new bootable USB media that includes the missing crucial drivers for Skylake and NVMe targets.

Surely something's not right here.  I honestly know nothing about any possible malware related to the Gigabyte utility, anywhere.  False positive with Symantec?  I've got no such indications anywhere from Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,310
Message 9 of 10

Good day.

Just as a check, I downloaded the zipped package directly from the link DSperber provided above, unzipped it into a new folder on my desktop, and then ran a virus scan against it using my AV program: ESET NOD32 v10.1.219.0 with the latest defs. I also scanned the zip file directly.

Result: No threats found, in either scan

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

JohnnyMordoc
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,294
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for taking a fresh look at the utility and verifying that it did NOT have any malware........

Looks like SEP is throwing some false positives.

Thanks again to all that helped me work through this issue!!

Robot Very Happy

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors