CA

22 Signins

164 Page Views

• Views: 164
  • Message 1 of 7

Need help finding M81 (slim case) motherboard manaul

2017-11-16, 23:54 PM

Hi forum,

It is my first time to build a pc. Im changing M81's slim design case to Mid Tower. Also will upgrade PSU from 280W to 500W in order to insert a AMD R7 250 graphics card for gaming.

Looking at M81's motherboard I already feel intimated. I have absolutely no idea what line goes where.

I searched for Q65 motherboard's manual but  no where to be found.

Anyone knows where I could download motherboard's PDF manual? thank you

Solved! See the solution
Options

4039 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4453 Signins

50422 Page Views

• Views: 50422
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Need help finding M81 (slim case) motherboard manaul

2017-11-17, 0:19 AM

Not sure this is detailed enough for you, but look at page 119 in the Hardware Maintenance Manual linked below.

ThinkCentre Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/0a74545.pdf

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

13 Posts

11-16-2017

CA

22 Signins

164 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2017-11-17, 1:32 AM

Thank you so much. This is most helpful. 

Options

2571 Posts

06-13-2013

US

11103 Signins

59946 Page Views

• Views: 59946
  • Message 4 of 7

2017-11-17, 3:37 AM

wrote:

It is my first time to build a pc. Im changing M81's slim design case to Mid Tower. Also will upgrade PSU from 280W to 500W in order to insert a AMD R7 250 graphics card for gaming.

I would say that you do NOT need to upgrade the PSU in order to use an AMD R7-250 graphics card.  This card is low-power (TDP 75W) and doesn't have any additional 6-pin power requirements.  It runs completely off of the PCIe bus (which has a power limit of 75W).

Now in passing, if you are going to be upgrading the case to be a mid-tower size, that means you can now use full-size cards and do not need to limit yourself to an older R7-250 graphics upgrade.  You could consider some alternative cards with newer low-power GPU technology that are once again "low power" (meaning that they do NOT require more than 75W of PCIe-bus power, and often require less) and yet provide much better performance than the R7-250 did.

For example, depending on your budget you could consider the EVGA nVidia GTX 750ti SC 2GB DDR5, although it does seem a bit overpriced.  But it will out-perform the R7-250 and also doesn't need a PSU upgrade from the standard 280W.

And for the same price you could consider the very new Pascal-GPU EVGA nVidia GTX 1050ti SC 4GB DDR5, which performs even better still and once again requires <75W and thus doesn't need a PSU upgrade. I honestly don't know if a 1050ti has been installed successfully using an M81 motherboard, but if you have to return it for something else I would still consider it something I'd at least give a try to.

Both of these somewhat more expensive nVidia low-power alternatives will most certainly provide improved performance over the lesser priced R7-250.  It might be worth it to you to consider, based on your budget and expectations.  But for sure I would say that none of these cards actually requires a PSU upgrade from the 280W unit you currently have, certainly not to 500W.  None of these cards uses additional PCIe 6-pin power cable from the PSU.

Options

13 Posts

11-16-2017

CA

22 Signins

164 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2017-11-17, 4:06 AM

Hi Guru, really appreciate your advice!.

I have 'two' M81 i5-2400s and 'one'  mid-tower case+380W. I never owned a gaming PC so yesterday I went out to buy the two M81s for $105 each. Pretty sweet deal.

I will follor both of your suggestions. 

M81-1: no changes other than AMD R7-250. (actually Im changing to CAD$50 Geforce GT730 low profile)

M81-2: Slim case -> Mid tower , 240W -> 380W , non-low profile pre-owned GPU that is priced $50~$70.

Only concern is M81-1's wattage usage. coolermaster.com's wattage calculation shows Load: 244W & Suggest: 300W

based on GT730 low profile installed. I hope this won't cause fire.... Do you think it will be ok if I only use medium graphic setting? Im not crazy about +60FPS, ultra high definition. Never owned a gaming PC so I wont even notice. LOL. 

Options

2571 Posts

06-13-2013

US

11103 Signins

59946 Page Views

• Views: 59946
  • Message 6 of 7

2017-11-17, 5:05 AM

Can't help you one bit on "gaming PC considerations", as I am not a gamer.  Can't comment on running games at high performance settings vs. mid, and what this results in.

But standard considerations about heat and power typically involve any expansion cards installed and what they require/generate, how many internal drives you have and what they require/generate, and what GPU and CPU you have and the type of cooling mechanism you use. Also, if you do "nice cabling" inside the case so that the wires are out of the way (and maybe tied down to slots on the metal chassis with tie-wraps) and do not obstruct interior air flow so that hot air can rise easily, that helps.  Sloppy wiring out in the open is not good for interior temperatures.

But certainly the graphics cards we're discussing shouldn't generate much heat as they are really low-to-mid range graphics performance.

Although I've not done it on a Lenovo case, if you do eventually discover that you have an internal temperature issue you can certainly add one (or two) more case fan(s) to the chassis.  Front-mounted chassis fan is typically low down at the front of the case, to suck in cool air from the front and blow it across the drives and open chassis space and across the expansion cards which may be installed.  Rear-mounted chassis fan is typically high up on the back of the case, to exhaust out hot air which has now risen up through the case.

The size of case fans varies, but I've always purchased 120mm fans (which also implies where the four mounting screws or rubber legs are, which naturally must correspond to the matching holes on the case chassis) as they seem to be the right size for the DIY cases I've worked on.  They also come smaller or larger, and in varying CFM (cubic feet of air moved per minute) ratings, which implies their cooling capability.  Of course fans also come with DBA ratings, which implies a measure of how much noise they make while spinning vs. how silent they are.  Obviously there is generally a tradeoff, with quieter fans generally blowing less air, and vice versa, although a unique fan blade design might provide a unique balance and capability.  Also, there really typically is a price-performance consideration, where the more expensive fans are almost certainly capable of moving more air (i.e. higher CFM rating) and still keeping a low noise level (i.e. lower DBA rating).  You get what you pay for.

Typically all of these case fans have a manufacturer's label or some other logo on one side of the "flat hub" in the center of the mechanism, which indicates to you which direction the air will be flowing when the fan is spinning.  When you're looking straight on at the label that is the side where the air will be blown out towards you (i.e. towards your face, in this story), being sucked in from the opposite non-label side of the fan through the blades.  So a front-mounted "intake" case fan would be installed on the chassis so as to have its label facing "inside" toward the interior of the case (away from the front exterior of the case), in order to spin the fan blade so as to suck in cool air from the outside-front and blow it into the case.  In contrast a rear-mounted "exhaust" case fan would be installed on the chassis so as to have its label facing out the back, in order to spin the fan blade so as to blow out hot air from the case interior to the outside-rear of the case.

Anyway, I really don't imagine that an M81 and any of the graphics cards you've mentioned could possibly cause a serious temperature problem in your new case.  But if so, just look to some additional case fans to solve the problem.

Options

13 Posts

11-16-2017

CA

22 Signins

164 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2017-11-17, 5:58 AM

I am grateful so your advice sir/ma'am. I will come back to this forum to share after my first rig completes. so excited!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms