Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NClefty
Paper Tape
Views: 1,031
Message 1 of 8

Need help finding XP Pro recovery media for 8148

I have an A50 (type 8148) - the sticker on the case has a product key for Win XP Pro.  I tried Linux for a while but the rest of the family wanted to go back to Windows.  In my vast array of assorted accessories (my junk box) I can't find any disks that may have come with this computer, and when I hit F11 on boot, it does nothing, so it doesn't look like the recovery partition is still intact. 

I have an MSDN license, so I can get to quite a few install images...  I've tried two and neither of them has accepted the product key on the machine's license sticker.

I called Lenovo and was told they couldn't help since this machine is out of support. 

Can anyone tell me which image I need in order to take advantage of the license that came with the computer?

Thanks

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 982
Message 2 of 8

Re: Need help finding XP Pro recovery media for 8148

if you got the MSDN licenses you should able to get a new serial no. for the XP downloads you pull from the website.

Are you using the XP pro OEM ISO, or the retail XP pro iso?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Highlighted
NClefty
Paper Tape
Views: 978
Message 3 of 8

I tried "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428.iso" along with a key from the same MSDN download page, and also tried using the key printed on my label.  Each was rejected immediately upon trying to enter it into the dialog prompted by the installer. 

I also downloaded "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso" -- it seems to have a more involved process for getting license keys.  I'm guessing "vl" refers to "volume license" at this point.

They have images with "k", "n", and "nk", but I don't know what those designations mean. 

Views: 973
Message 4 of 8

KN = an edition released in South Korea that doesn't bundle Windows Media Player and Windows Messenger.

K = an edition also released in South Korea that includes WMP, but you can choose which IM you want.

N = EU only edition where WMP is not included.
Regards,

Jin Li

NClefty
Paper Tape
Views: 955
Message 5 of 8

That helps... but I still don't know whether the image I tried was retail or OEM. Which one should I have used? Is an OEM image tied to a particular vendor? Do I need an image that was OEM'd to Lenovo?
Views: 944
Message 6 of 8

Microsoft OEM XP installation discs (not the vendor's recovery media) shouldn't be tied to any vendors as such.

However, every edition that you download from MSDN should have a specific (well 10) unique serial no. that you can generate, so have you used them?
Regards,

Jin Li

NClefty
Paper Tape
Views: 875
Message 7 of 8

Thanks, Lead...  apparently I had made an error every time I'd checked and re-checked this product key...  yesterday the darn thing worked.  I'd checked and rechecked it, my wife checked it...  wasn't 'til I lost the original post-it and had my son help me copy down the key again that we apparently got it right. 

Thanks for your patience and perseverence.  You kept me trying and re-trying the correct route until it worked.

Views: 854
Message 8 of 8

that is okay, i have made similar mistakes before. This is why i just copy and paste these serial no. (so i use the OS on trial for couple of days, then access my MSDN account), instead of writing it down on paper and re-entering into the OS.
Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors