xadan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 498
Message 1 of 9

Need some help with my m90p

so i got this computer in march. its lenovo thinkcenter m90p

the motherboard serial : 5450A26 / socket lga 1156

My problem is this :

i want to install more ram but the lenovo site says you cannot install more then 8gb.

i looked for the user manual and says i can add up to 16gb of ram

so my question is can or i cannot add more ram ?

i just don't want to waste money Smiley Happy

also how do you update a bios ? i want to get a good video card and turn this computer into a gaming rig Smiley Happy

thanks for your time in advance 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 460
Message 2 of 9

Re: Need some help with my m90p

Bios update in a nutshell:  down the  CD ISO file (must have .iso at end of file name),  burn to a blank CD ,  do check verify disk, boot PC with that CD in drive (you may need to re-order the boot sequence in the BIOS setup, if it asks if you wish to change model or serial numbers, reply NO (only necessary if Motherboard was changed.)   Follow instructions, don't rush the process.  

Memory upgrade info:
For maximum system performance, you want to keep maximum memory utilization under 70%   Use Windows 'Task Manager' to view your memory utilization. (Further performance to be had with 'dual-channel' mode -- identical specification modules installed in pairs.)

If you do not wish to buy memory from Lenovo, both Kingston and Crucial have 'System Specific' memory for your system that is OEM equivalent and guaranteed compatible. Memory timings must match what the BIOS expects for the system to recognize it, generic memory sometimes doesn't work. Some older system types (eg. models of M58), require a BIOS update to support 4 GB modules.

Use your system's Hardware Maintenance Manual for instructions on how to install the memory.  After making any memory change, run 2 passes of MemTest86 to ensure all is well.

As to other questions, there are usually several good threads.   Search above right on 'M90p', also on 'best graphics'.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
xadan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 445
Message 3 of 9

ok i understand but my question was .... can or can't i install more then 8gb because the manual says 1 thing then the lenovo site says other :/

thanks !

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 439
Message 4 of 9

Did you go to the Kingston and Crucial websites and input your system's model number?   It would give you the upgrade options, including the max amount of memory supported.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
xadan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 424
Message 5 of 9

thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

i have searched on crucial and says i can make up too 16gb of ram

kingston however they don't have the m90p showing up ... :/

this is very furstrating really -_-

on the user manual says 16 max ..... the site says 8gb max and 8gb cache ... 

thanks for your time Smiley Wink

xadan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 400
Message 6 of 9

anybody ?

i got 4gb of ram pc3-12800 and its not working :/

it just turns on and the fan runs like very fast but the image , like windows is not running 

it doze not even load

what can i do ?

help pls ?

xadan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 392
Message 7 of 9

help ??

xadan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 391
Message 8 of 9

i got the exacly memory wich crucial says but its not working as stated above :/

brand new kingston 4gb memory but the computer is not working .... it doze not boot windows but the fans go crazy !! 

help ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 384
Message 9 of 9

i have searched on crucial and says i can make up too 16gb of ram

kingston however they don't have the m90p showing up ... :/

That Kingston no longer shows an option for M90p implies that they can no longer source the specific memory chips needed for your model.   Crucial is your best option for 100% guaranteed compatible memory upgrade to 16GB.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors