Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BjoernTF
Paper Tape
Views: 2,607
Message 1 of 11

New M900: Computer/monitor connection

My M900 arrived this morning. I hooked it with my Philips monitor (model 244E5Q) built in August 2014. The computer starts up, so does the screen, but right afterwards the messages "No video input" and "Enter sleep mode" appear, after which both of them nod off. Why, though? Do I need a different sort of cable than a VGA cable? Not another monitor, I hope! Thanks in advance. Bjoern (computer illiterate). 

Mod:  edit Subject line with system type
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,602
Message 2 of 11

Re: Computer/monitor connection

What form factor is it?   Did you buy it with an optional graphics card?  Do you have a photo of the back of the computer where the monitor hook-ups are? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
BjoernTF
Paper Tape
Views: 2,567
Message 3 of 11

These are the specs of the computer I ordered and received:
Procesador Intel Core i7-6700 (8 M de memoria caché, hasta 4,00 GHz)
- Windows 10 Pro 64
- Windows 10 Pro 64 (inglés)
- SFF Q170 210W 85%
- 8 GB (4 + 4) DDR4 2133 MHz UDIMM
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 1GB DP Low Profile
- Unidad de disco duro híbrida de 500 GB + 8 GB, 2,5 pulgadas, SATA3
- DVD Rambo
- Ethernet integrada
- Lector de tarjetas 9 en 1w
- Teclado USB completo negro: inglés con símbolo de Euro
- Ratón óptico USB negro

I have a photo of the back of the computer. How do I upload it in a reply?
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,553
Message 4 of 11

Just click on the Choose File link below, and point to your .jpg etc. to attach it to your reply

BjoernTF
Paper Tape
Views: 2,549
Message 5 of 11

Back of M900.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,535
Message 6 of 11

Your computer has a Nvidia video card installed (just below the sound card plug in you picture) that has two Display Port output connectors but it appears that your monitor has only VGA or HDMI imputs (Model 274E5QHSB) or VGA and DVI (Model 274E5QSB), so to connect to the Nvidia video card, you will need to get the appropriate cable to convert from your computer's Display port, to either the DVI or HDMI inputs (see attached for port types) available on your monitor.    

In the interim, if you removed the Nvidia Gforce video card added to the computer, it should switch over to using the onboard VGA adapter until you can obtain the proper cable, which would be desired since the digital signal would be much better than the VGA.    Once you get the cables, just reinstall the Nvidia card and you should be all set.

Hope that helps. 

BjoernTF
Paper Tape
Views: 2,528
Message 7 of 11

That is certainly helpful.
I am not going to remove the video card, However, what would be an appropriate cable, so that I would know exactly what to ask for in the store? VGA and HDMI are what I have on the monitor.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,527
Message 8 of 11

Or, you can perform the process here to enable both graphics to be active at the same, no need to remove the card.  Then when the DisplayPort (DP) adapters arrive, you can connect the monitor to the card in the expansion slot for maximum performance.  

Enabling multiple monitor support -- ThinkCentre Edge 71 - M900

Repeatly hit the F1 key right after turning on the system to enter the BIOS setup. 

If you need to buy DP adapters, read the DP section of the 'Help us to help you' thread above.  Thx. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
BjoernTF
Paper Tape
Views: 2,513
Message 9 of 11

Just to be superclear, is the cable I need to buy a Display Port-to-VGA converter? Will any do, or is there more than one kind?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,510
Message 10 of 11

Since your monitor has HDMI, I would get a brand-name, quality DP to HDMI adapter, it can be a 'passive' adapter, but both that and 'active' will work.   You may already have a HDMI cable (HDMI both ends), if not buy one also. 

For example:  DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Adapter

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors