Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bthornton
Punch Card
Views: 1,066
Message 1 of 7

No video during boot after video card upgrade

I upgraded the stock Radeon video card on my Thinkcentre M92p SFF and noticed that I am no longer able to see the boot up process (i.e. everything before the Windows 8 login). It's as if video is disconnected until Windows fully boots. Everything works fine after that.

Originally, I thought the issue was that I was connected on HDMI video, so I hooked up a regular monitor to the DVI port, but surprisingly it was the exact same problem. Replacing the video card with the original card fixed the problem, but this is not a long-term solution.

I upgraded to a Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 if that makes any difference. Thanks.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,044
Message 2 of 7

Re: No video during boot after video card upgrade

Very surprising.  You would think the boot process (prior to ANY version of Windows and related drivers coming into play) would run in standard VGA mode, and that ALL video cards would behave identically through any connector, as ALL video cards are required to perform identically in standard VGA mode as part of their design.

There's certainly nothing unusual about the low-profile Sapphire HD7750 (100357LP) which I assume is the version of the card that you're using in your SFF case, other than the use of a microHDMI->HDMI cable and miniDP->DP cable.  But DVI is standard, so DVI->DVI shouldn't introduce any odd behavior at all.

You say restoring the original video card eliminates the boot-time VGA mode anomaly, with all BIOS output fully visible on the monitor.  What was the original video card??

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,041
Message 3 of 7

I put an HD5570 into a friend's M92p mid-tower case, running Win7 Pro x64.  No problem at all, and boot-time VGA mode behavior is completely normal with everything from the BIOS going out to the monitor.

You say you are running Windows 8.1, so you must have the BIOS set to UEFI whereas it is in legacy mode on my friend's Win7 system.

I wonder if there is some incompatibility with the HD7750 when the M92p BIOS is set to UEFI.  Have you updated to the latest BIOS for the M92p?

Looking at the README for BIOS update, I see this interesting one.  Hard to decipher the stilted English on the last bullet point as to whether or not it's specifically your issue, but it seems relevant to "black" video in some way:

CHANGES for 9SKT76A/9SJT76A 
- Added Patch for Jabra USB device long time POST issue(VID/DID: 0x0B0E,0x1002, VID/DID: 0x0B0E,0xA340).  
- Fixes some WMI related issues.
- Fixes the issue that BIOS SETUP may show unusable items after running some WMI scripts.   
- Fixes the issue that some kinds of Startech PCIe serial card cannot be detected.
- Fixes the issue that there might be no display if connect the display adaptor after entering OS.  
bthornton
Punch Card
Views: 1,027
Message 4 of 7

Correct on the Sapphire card that I'm using. Incidentally, the first thing I tried when I pulled the computer out of my entertainment center (to hook up a monitor) was a DVI --> VGA adapter and I noticed that it worked the same way as with HDMI. So then I tried straight DVI thinking certainly that would fix it, but same deal. Using the original card (which I believe is a Radeon HD 7450) with the same monitor hooked up to DVI, everything worked as expected.

Yes, the system is running in UEFI mode. Funny you mention the BIOS update: one of the first things I did when I had the monitor hooked up was to run Lenovo System Update, which showed the latest BIOS update. I installed the update, Windows rebooted as expected, I heard a beep (or maybe two) and, thinking that was normal, let the machine sit for several minutes. I'm not sure if the system was waiting on me for input because the screen was in power saving mode, but I knew a BIOS update didn't take over 15 minutes, so I just turned the power off. Turned it back on and it started up as before.

So I'm not sure if that update even installed properly. However, I do know that it's no longer showing in Lenovo System Update.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,017
Message 5 of 7

bthornton
Punch Card
Views: 1,010
Message 6 of 7

Good find, DSperber. Yes, the other individual does appear to be having the exact same issue, an it's interesting to note that it also happens with an NVIDIA card--and he/she had the same result from the same card I'm running. Lenovo does have a habit of whitelisting certain hardware in their BIOS (i.e. Wifi cards on Thinkpads must be whitelisted or they won't work); I wonder if something similar may be happening here.

Highlighted
runev
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 998
Message 7 of 7

That thread was mine.

To begin with I always figured the GT 640 was bricked, so I bought a cheap ASUS HD-7750 to replace it. 

Now I've got two cards; the ASUS GT 640 and the ASUS HD-7750, and none of them work. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors