Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmacmil
Punch Card
Views: 772
Message 1 of 7

No video on M92p with pci-e video card

Recently bought a used M92p SFF and got it all up to date:  latest BIOS, Windows 10 1903 update, etc.  I had an old Radeon PCI-E video card laying around so I put it in to see how it would do compared to Intel the on-board graphics.  The computer appeared to boot ok but there was no video.  When I removed the card I see that Windows recognized it because it tried to load the appropriate Radeon drivers. 

The BIOS setting for video is set to "auto".  I saw another thread that referenced a Lenovo page getting multiple monitors to work saying the BIOS should be set to IGD and that apparently solved the poster's problem.  I have also seen threads that only certain adapters are supported and have seen an nVidia list but not an AMD list.

So is the problem most likely that the adapter is too old to be supported (it's probably 10 years old) or is support for Radeon cards very limited?  Is there a list on the Lenovo site showing supported Radeon adapters like there is for GeForce adapters?  Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 750
Message 2 of 7

Re: No video on M92p with pci-e video card

@lmacmil wrote:
Is there a list on the Lenovo site showing supported Radeon adapters like there is for GeForce adapters?

No, there's not.  What model of card is it? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
lmacmil
Punch Card
Views: 741
Message 3 of 7

HD 4550.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 731
Message 4 of 7

That is an old card, and it's barely level with Intel HD 2000 that is incorporated with an i3 on your system.  If you have an i5 (HD 2500), you'd be behind in performance installing that ATI card, and pretty far behind with the HD 4000 on the i7;  and behind on DX and Open GL versions. 

Userbenchmark - Intel-HD-2000-Desktop-11-GHz-vs-ATI-Radeon-HD-4550

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
lmacmil
Punch Card
Views: 712
Message 5 of 7

The question is why didn't the card work.  Is it just too old to be compatible or is there something else?  The card worked that last time it was used and has been sitting in an anti-static bag for years so I don't think the card is bad.  I would purchase something more up to date if I knew for sure it would work.  Should the BIOS video setting of "auto" allow a PCI-E card to be detected and work?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 694
Message 6 of 7

@lmacmil wrote:

Should the BIOS video setting of "auto" allow a PCI-E card to be detected and work?

Yes, "Auto" is the default and correct setting for automatically using only the graphics card video ports when a card is installed.  Since this card is pre-UEFI, it could be a case of disabling secure boot (if enabled), and setting "legacy" mode in the BIOS. 

Blank Display: Optiplex 9010-Dual ATI graphics cards

Also, since there are no Win 10 drivers for HD 4550, or any HD 4000 Series, you may need to hack the registry.

lmacmil
Punch Card
Views: 684
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for your help.  It's not worth the hassle to get this card to work since it's so old.  I am booting in UEFI mode with secure boot and the disk is partitioned using GPT so  booting in legacy mode might be problematic.  I'll just get a newer card.  And I'll pick something from the Lenovo list of supported (nVidia) cards.  This is not my main computer so I've got to keep the cost low to keep the wife happy!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors