Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthewk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,550
Message 1 of 9

Noisy fan(s) on new M800 SFF

I've just taken delivery of a new M800 SFF, and everything looks great except that it is really quite noisy, even at idle CPU. I've downloaded SpeedFan to see what's going on, and all the temperatures are between 20C and 30C yet the CPU fan and front fan are stuck at between 1800rpm and 1900rpm. I've checked in the BIOS and it is set to "Better acoustic performance", although I have also tried "Better thermal performance" and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Do other people find this model loud as well? Compared with all our Dell OptiPlex SFFs, it's really noticeable. Is there anything I can do?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,521
Message 2 of 9

Re: Noisy fan(s) on new M800 SFF

It could be your Power Plan (set through Lenovo Power Manager).  I just got an M800-SFF delivered yesterday (i5-6500 CPU) with Win7 pre-installed, and I've been working on the customization since then.  I did make some changes in the Power Plan.

It's in the Start Menu, Lenovo -> Power Manager.  I set "maximum performance" as my power plan, but then also set "adaptive" for "Maximum CPU speed" in "system settings".  The original value was "highest", which was causing the CPU clock to be at max, and I think that probably could be heating up your CPU, thus requiring more fan speed.  With "adaptive" the core clock speed is dropped to a minimal value unless demand requires TurboBoost to increase it.

You might check what your setup is.

M800_power-plan.jpg

Note that with this setup, HWINFO64 reports FAN0=837rpm and FAN1=717rpm.  I'm sure this is more in line with what you're hoping for yourself, as it's very quiet.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,515
Message 3 of 9

@matthewk wrote:

I've checked in the BIOS and it is set to "Better acoustic performance", although I have also tried "Better thermal performance" and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

When you were changing BIOS setting, did you check the version and date of your BIOS and compare to the Lenovo support page for your system?    Fan control could have been changed with later versions, also with an all new model like the M800, BIOS updates are more frequent and important to install.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,510
Message 4 of 9

I did update the BIOS from the delivered 1.45 to the latest 1.47.

The Power tab in BIOS shows ICE performance mode of "better acoustic performance", which was the delivered default. I didn't touch that .

matthewk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,478
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, both.

I've tried updating the BIOS (was FWKT45A, now FWKT49A). I've tried selecting the "Full speed" option in the BIOS. I've tried running Prime95 on its "full heat" setting for a few minutes, which took the CPU temps up to 67C. Nothing seems to make a difference to the fan speeds. Maximum CPU speed is already set to adaptive, and I can see it changing in Task Manager, sometimes down to 0.81GHz.

This seems very broken. Anything else I can try before I ask Lenovo?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,473
Message 6 of 9

@matthewk wrote:

I've tried updating the BIOS (was FWKT45A, now FWKT49A). I've tried selecting the "Full speed" option in the BIOS. I've tried running Prime95 on its "full heat" setting for a few minutes, which took the CPU temps up to 67C. Nothing seems to make a difference to the fan speeds. Maximum CPU speed is already set to adaptive, and I can see it changing in Task Manager, sometimes down to 0.81GHz.

This seems very broken. Anything else I can try before I ask Lenovo?

Agreed.   There should be a notable difference in the fan speed and noise between idle and running Prime95.   Call it in for a repair.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
matthewk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,470
Message 7 of 9

@BiggAl wrote:

Agreed.   There should be a notable difference in the fan speed and noise between idle and running Prime95.   Call it in for a repair.  

OK, have done so. I'll let you know how it goes.

matthewk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,437
Message 8 of 9

@matthewk wrote:

OK, have done so. I'll let you know how it goes.

They have changed the motherboard but it hasn't made any difference. Waiting to see what they suggest next.

matthewk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,418
Message 9 of 9

@matthewk wrote:

They have changed the motherboard but it hasn't made any difference. Waiting to see what they suggest next.

They have changed the fan as well, but still no difference. They are suggesting replacing the whole machine now. Ugh.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors